Hi,
I'm looking forward to the possibility of getting a Dutch in the not too distant future. I'd really be happier with a puppy, but my life has changed a bit since I brought my last pup home 7 years ago. I used to work for a company that allowed me to bring my dog to work every day. I did, as long as the weather permitted. I think this constant interaction led to the bond we developed and maintain even though she now has to stay home since I 'm driving a company work truck with a different employer. But I developed an equal or probably greater bond with a dog that could probably be described as having a similar temperament to the Dutch when I was still in high school though. I just did EVERYTHING with her outside of those school hours. We did some pretty intense relationship building even though she was home for 6 or 7 hours with another dog while I was away. I'm wondering what the folks here that have to go out and work 8 hours a day think. As for leaving the pup at home alone, we have another shepherd, and my son's class schedule is such that if I hired one of the bajillions of dog walking firms around here, the longest the pup would be crated is about 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Do you think that would be too much for a Dutch pup? I know I left my shepherd alone at the house occasionally, but she was lazy. Still is. I could always schedule two visits per day. The service is pretty cheap last time I looked.
working hours
-
TimL_168
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1387
- Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:11 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am: a father, a carpenter, hunter, runner. I have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, a Shiloh Shepherd. I added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.
- Location: central MD
working hours
Tim L.
I hope all your dogs are well
I hope all your dogs are well
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: working hours
Personally, yes. This is not a breed to have if you are not going to work the dog or be with it.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




- karenz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
- Location: NC
Re: working hours
I ditto dutchringgirl. They require alot of time. I do work 8 hours a day but I am able to go home for lunch and mom my works with Xander during the day while I'm working. Just going for a couple quick walks during the day isn't going to be enough.
Karen & Xander
-
TimL_168
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1387
- Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:11 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am: a father, a carpenter, hunter, runner. I have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, a Shiloh Shepherd. I added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.
- Location: central MD
Re: working hours
Thank you for the info and your expertise. I work with my dog on the morning and after work. I would also be attending one of the few local training facilities multiple times a week. Not just for basic obedience, but as something to do, to focus energy and develop and maintain skills. I've got at least a year before adding a dog to our family. Sounds like the best thing I should work on is getting back into a situation where I can bring my dog to work with me. No matter what breed I end up getting.
Tim L.
I hope all your dogs are well
I hope all your dogs are well
-
Mobil
- Training Dog
- Posts: 528
- Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.
Re: working hours
I think it could work if you could possibly get a dog with a lower drive. Especially of there are other dogs to play with for a bit. I have two, and on days when I have migraines, sometimes the only outlet for their energy is to let them play in the yard together. We have a huge yard and they will chase each other at top speed and play keep away with toys for a good forty five minutes while I sit miserably on the porch. 
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: working hours
Why are you concidering a DS? Even if you get a low drive DS they do have lots of energy and want to go all day.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




- LyonsFamily
- Training Dog
- Posts: 947
- Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
- Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years - Location: Michigan
- Contact:
Re: working hours
Realistically, at 4 now, Odin could handle living with someone that worked regular 8 hour days and would be perfectly fine. Odin has done 13 hours home alone before without incident as he doesn't travel to all training and trails with me and Elli anymore.
Elli is probably almost there with 8 hours, but she's a lot crazier than him and doesn't have a bad back so she can climb and get into things. She would need 2-3 hours of training and structure play when we got home though. As puppies there's no way they could. Either me or my husband has always worked from home, or the dogs have come with me to work. I got Odin when he was 1 and Elli was 2 when we got her and I'm glad I skipped the puppy stages.
Elli is probably almost there with 8 hours, but she's a lot crazier than him and doesn't have a bad back so she can climb and get into things. She would need 2-3 hours of training and structure play when we got home though. As puppies there's no way they could. Either me or my husband has always worked from home, or the dogs have come with me to work. I got Odin when he was 1 and Elli was 2 when we got her and I'm glad I skipped the puppy stages.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
- karenz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
- Location: NC
Re: working hours
As for puppies. Omg. If it won't for my mom we would have never made it. My mom works with him every day. They play fetch 4 or 5 times and she incorporates obedience training, sit down stay and recall. I spend every afternoon evening weekend working. It is a great responsibility. And these guys have 1 maybe 2 that they become attached to. Xander is greatly attached to me and mom. Whoever spends the most time with them is who they will respond to. You want this to be you. If you aren't there it will not be you.
Karen & Xander
- karenz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
- Location: NC
Re: working hours
For some reason I can't edit my post but it meant to say I spend every afternoon evening weekend working with Xander.
Karen & Xander
-
dogbyte
- Puppy
- Posts: 56
- Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:29 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I have been owned by German Shepherd Dogs for over 20 years. I have come to the dark side with my first Dutch Shepherd. Rossi is an almost 11 month old female from Land of Oz kennel. I have a 10 year old GSD and an 8 year old.
Re: working hours
I have made it work with Rossi, who is a very drivey Dutch with OCD of spinning in her crate...I work 15 minutes away, but come home every day for lunch, let her out, let GSDs out, then they get chewy's while i eat, and if time permits, Rossi works a little Nosework or Obedience.. In the evenings and weekends we do more structured training...Except now while we figure out the rear leg thing...Nosework really does a great job wearing her out mentally and physically, even though it doesn't appear to be physical. I often think the mental thing with a working breed is as important, if not more important than just physically wearing them out...I am OLD and have fibro as well as some other energy draining health issues...but if you really want it to work it can. Just make sure so we don't end up with another dog in rescue/shelter..And maybe a slightly older (like at least 12 months) might be easier as they can potty wise handle a little longer crate time....
cathy,jaden,gracie & rossi with xara, chance and zoey forever snuggled deep inside my heart
- Owly
- Green Dog
- Posts: 105
- Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:32 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a student, I work at a zoo, and I work at a veterinarian's office. I'm an active person who doesn't mind playing the occasional video game or vegging out on the sofa while holding a netflix marathon.
- Location: Ohio
Re: working hours
Another option could be doggy day care? Or a Never Home Alone service. The vet I work at offers such things and there are quite a few clients who bring their animals in because they have dogs with high energy and don't want them sitting in a crate for hours on end. The dogs wear each other out by playing all day and if there's a point where they need a break, they can be moved over to our boarding department for some alone time in a kennel.
Owly, Ohio.


Facebook page.