First OB class went well.

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
Mobil
Training Dog
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

First OB class went well.

Post by Mobil »

turbo super duper enjoyed all the other dogs. there were a couple of adorable GSD pups that she got to play with, and a cocker spaniel who fell in love with her.

Cheryl did refer to her as "that little brindle thing" though. Kind of felt dismissive. Am I mistaken thinking my dogs are DSDs? She only ever referred to her as "brindle puppy" during class.

Image
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Image
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: First OB class went well.

Post by Raven »

I'd likely feel the same way. I'd say something like..."It's okay to call her what she is...we haven't kept it a secret from her" or "It's okay...use your words...Dutch. Shepherd."

Glad the first class went okay!
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Mobil
Training Dog
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Re: First OB class went well.

Post by Mobil »

I feel stupid that it hurt my feelings. Like, is she really not a Dutch shepherd, or because it's not one of your dogs, you are saying that?
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Image
User avatar
HeatherH
Green Dog
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Re: First OB class went well.

Post by HeatherH »

Yeah, I don't think I'd put up with that I'd say something. Specialy if your paying for it.
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
User avatar
karenz
Training Dog
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
Location: NC

Re: First OB class went well.

Post by karenz »

I'm glad the first class went well. As for the brindle comment, I have to explain this to people all the time. And even for someone familiar with dutch's, I still get comments with Xander, because of his longer hair I guess. If I shaved him maybe he would look like the expected perception of a dutch shepherd.
Karen & Xander
User avatar
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: First OB class went well.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Yay Turbo!!!!!

She may just be referring to her in a way others not familiar with DS will understand. H and I were referred to as "the thing behind the wall" the first and last group class we went to. At the very least I would mention that "that brindled thing" was offensive to you and at least call her by name or brindled puppy (since it's at least an accurate description). If people aren't aware of DS, saying "that DS puppy" would leave people with more Qs than directions. Once people know you you will be called by name.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Mobil
Training Dog
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Re: First OB class went well.

Post by Mobil »

the fact that she breeds and trains Dutches and there were 2 other Dutches in the class, aside from her having referred to "you with the cattle dog" and "this cocker spaniel" and "that crabby German Shepherd" is kind of what added to my butthurt. As famous as Chercar is around here and that their website and FB page emphasize Dutchies would not make me think that the people at class would be unaware of Dutch shepherds, KWIM?

I'm not sure about speaking up about it just yet. Maybe she was just distracted/busy and I'm a big, sensitive baby. As an aside, Carole surprised me with a booming voice and she was super friendly and personable!
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Image
User avatar
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: First OB class went well.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

You never know. If there were other DS in the class that changes the tone then. I would let a few classes play out to get a read on her personality. If that's her personality then not too much you can do. But if it isn't and she is being a jerk call her on it. I'm crazy sensitive if people call H something stupid but then I have to stop and remember, they probably don't know/understand. H's happiness and success is more important to me than what people think of him/us. Turbo and Mobile have sucky back stories that you were able to prevent from being their life. Now you get two amazing pups to enrich your life... And help stock the liquor cabinet! ;) They are amazing dogs full of heart and joy. It sucks that you felt that way in class and I hope Cheryl was just having an off day. But don't let that bother you too much. In the end all that matters is you and Turbo; so don't give it too much thought (even though I know that can be hard in itself).
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Mobil
Training Dog
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Re: First OB class went well.

Post by Mobil »

Kira, you are awesome. thanks for that.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Image
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: First OB class went well.

Post by johninny »

Dusty, my reading of Cheryl's words/comments that you relayed is that it simply reflects her sense of humor and that she is trying to be cute and funny in a crabby sort of way. is that possible?
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: First OB class went well.

Post by LyonsFamily »

Hmmm, maybe she was making a joke that you were the "other" brindle dog since the other puppies were her breeding? Kind of like people pick on friends that went to the rival high school?

I know I wasn't there, but when I met Cheryl at our first Dutch Shepherd specialty, she seemed anything but elitist. When the adult male class was called for conformation, she came running over to me so Odin didn't miss his ring time. I laughed and told her have you seen him? (as I pointed to his large head) he's not a conformation dog, we're just here for obedience and she didn't seem the least bit snobby about him not looking exactly the same as everyone else.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Mobil
Training Dog
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Re: First OB class went well.

Post by Mobil »

Like I said, it's quite probable that I'm being overly sensitive. turbo is really short and dwarfy compared to Mobil, so I sometimes feel like people might think she's somehow less because she's not proportioned right. Like one look at her just screams, "HI, I AM FROM A SHITTY BACKYARD BREEDER AND I KNOW YOU CAN TELL." Plus DH jokingly calls her the ugly one. Also, I am socially awkward in real life situations. Like painfully shy and worried about making a good impression.

Sensitive about my damn dog. Isn't that stupid? She's my baby and I think she's beautiful.

Benefit of the doubt has always been my way, so I'll stick with that.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Image
User avatar
Owly
Green Dog
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:32 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a student, I work at a zoo, and I work at a veterinarian's office. I'm an active person who doesn't mind playing the occasional video game or vegging out on the sofa while holding a netflix marathon.
Location: Ohio

Re: First OB class went well.

Post by Owly »

Mobil wrote:Also, I am socially awkward in real life situations. Like painfully shy and worried about making a good impression.
I feel like we could both be buddies! I know how this feels. If I ever get a DS puppy I'd planned on going through CherCar's OB classes, even though she's a couple of hours away. At the same time I'm so skittish/painfully nervous around people, I'm not sure I even have the nerve to show up to the class! I was going to meet up with an IPO/SchH club while they were having a competition of some sorts, but I got so nervous once game day came around. I ended up not going. >_>
Owly, Ohio.
Mobil
Training Dog
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Re: First OB class went well.

Post by Mobil »

Today was our second class and it was awesome. Cheryl told turbo she was perfect a couple of times and told me to make a bigger deal out of her doing something right. And turbo was so attentive and kept looking to me while we went through the exercises. I am really enjoying this. I bet last week was just more chaotic because it was sign up night. I am getting way more out of this than I did working with the last trainer I had for Delco.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Image
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: First OB class went well.

Post by Raven »

:party1:

Good trainers, responsible owners, and open minds... :DSlove:
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Post Reply