So while walking the gauntlet yesterday (i.e. my neighborhood), two boys are playing catch and a throw goes wild causing one boy to run frantically and wildly and super close to and from behind Tyson. So Tyson feeling the need to defend himself from whatever is obviously attacking him from behind, turns around with teeth bared, snarling and growling, and charges at the poor kid full force (I forget how strong he is sometimes). I'm pretty sure the boy needed an underwear change.
**sidenote** we always walk with a prong and this was a perfect example of why Stephanie will always suggest using some sort of backup system. During the ruckus, the prong popped. I use Herm Sprenger and rarely have this happen (I can literally count the number of times on one hand), but it does happen when the variables line up perfectly. I use a homemade gadget that I can attach from his buckle collar to the leash. It gives me enough slack that it doesn't affect the prong in any way, but provides a peace of mind backup at the same time.
Just a funny story...
- Stacy_R
- Training Dog
- Posts: 879
- Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
- Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
- Location: Carolinas
Just a funny story...
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
-
Raven
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1608
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
Re: Just a funny story...
Stacy--yikes. Did you also need a change of clothing?
I swear that kids have some sort of unwritten code: thou shalt always run around big dogs like a mad hatter.
I used a prong on my last DS but can't with Thor, but even with a flat collar I have a back-up system and double-check everything. And then the husband checks my work...or I check his. (We've each caught mistakes the other made.)
I swear that kids have some sort of unwritten code: thou shalt always run around big dogs like a mad hatter.
I used a prong on my last DS but can't with Thor, but even with a flat collar I have a back-up system and double-check everything. And then the husband checks my work...or I check his. (We've each caught mistakes the other made.)
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
- Stacy_R
- Training Dog
- Posts: 879
- Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
- Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
- Location: Carolinas
Re: Just a funny story...
LOL. No. I am always "at the ready" so to speak when out with him because people are....well...idiots. He's a cool looking dog, but not as intimidating looking as a purebred DS, Mal, or GSD (I believe it's due to the lack of the black mask) and so people constantly approach without asking.Raven wrote:Stacy--yikes. Did you also need a change of clothing?
After the initial episode, I made him work through it. We stopped, balanced pressure, and watched the boys play catch for a bit and then moved on.
So true. And they appear out of nowhere half of the time...LOL.Raven wrote:I swear that kids have some sort of unwritten code: thou shalt always run around big dogs like a mad hatter.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org


Facebook page.