anti-tick and flea prevention medication

ralbucks
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: new puppy owner

anti-tick and flea prevention medication

Post by ralbucks »

Hello everyone,

:geek: My puppy has been on Trifexis since we got him. He tolerates it well, no vomiting or anything else. Florida is full right now of little bugs crawling around in the grass because it is so warm. Does anyone know or have experience with tick and flea prevention medication that is actually cheaper and better than Trifexis? Maybe even work better for Dutch Shepherds? I spend 26 dollars every month for his Trifexis pill, not to mention the doctor's visit to get the prescription. Everybody who is a doctor says give him Trifexis. So what anti-flea medication over the counter should I give him that does not cause allergies. As I said, there plenty of little critters out there, even if I don't go with him hiking or in the woods. And what about heartworm prevention, anything else apart from Trifexis works? If I didn't see a previous post about this topic please let me know.Thanks.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: anti-tick and flea prevention medication

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I do not use chemical flea and tick. i use Food grade DE and an all natural spray.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
ralbucks
Puppy

Post by ralbucks »

:D thank you. Yes, I see a lot of people using DE. I will buy some. What is the natural spray you are using?
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I make my own, search the web, there are tons of recipes for flea and tick spray. I cant think of it off hand. I have some left over from last year that I had purchased. There are some natural oils that you may not want to use on the dogs.
ImageImage
ralbucks
Puppy

Post by ralbucks »

Great!
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Post by k9lexi »

I use Pet Armor from Walmart . Think it is supposed to be like Frontline but cheaper. Cheaper isn't always better I bought cheapest available one time (mistake 1) and put down my dogs back instead of between shoulder blades. Couple hours later I went to feed her, she wouldn't eat and was twitching rushed her to the vet. She had liked her back and was having a reaction . They got it under control but I don't buy the cheap stuff. I'd agreed that natural would be better
ralbucks
Puppy

Post by ralbucks »

@k9lexi, thank you. My puppy got an allergic reaction after putting an "in between the shoulders" over the counter anti-flea preventive. Not as serious as what you described with your dog, but very itchy for my puppy. So I will be trying DE and apple cider vinegar with essential oils.
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Post by k9lexi »

What is DE?
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Diatematouse Earth. I use it in my garden and food grade can be fed.
ImageImage
k9lexi
Green Dog

Post by k9lexi »

Interesting I never heard of it before. When I run out of Pet Armor I'll have to try it. Guess it would work on my horses too thanks
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

The De isnt to put on the animal. You can feed it and sprinkle it around plants and yard to kill unwanted bugs and ticks.

Check this site out for recipes for natural dog spray

http://www.thehippyhomemaker.com/diy-na ... ick-spray/
ImageImage
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

I use heart guard and Frontline because we get horrible mosquitos 2/3 out of the year. I only use it during times when mosquitos and ticks are very high. Seems to work awesome but I will say your preventatives depends on your areas. I know up in MI certain parts have bug populations immune to frontline, certain places in FL and I think LA too. Some areas are too bug heavy for natural preventatives (though I do love them they don't work for summer here) to work, so keep that in mind. I try to hit them on all sides just to cover my bases. There is a flea and tick preventative you can give once every three months I believe... Bravecto I think it's called. Also heard good results from Nexgard. I haven't used these products though.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

IvettePeppers wrote:Fleas can easily infest pets that go outdoors, but they can also enter pet free buildings. For successful flea control, the home, the pet and often, the yard must be treated. You can call professional exterminator from Redding CT, Greenwich CT or other parts of Connecticut. Additionally give pets monthly flea and tick treatments and take them to the vet at least once a year to make sure they haven’t been infested.

why use chemicals when natural meathods are great.

Also................. do you have a DS ????
ImageImage