New Member Exploring Potentially Getting Dutch Shepherd

For our new members to introduce themselves
ninothecat
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I grew with dogs all my life and now that I am into my later years and work less, I am considering a Dutch Shepherd.

New Member Exploring Potentially Getting Dutch Shepherd

Post by ninothecat »

Hi all

New here and doing my due diligence on whether a Dutch Shepherd (whether puppy, adult, or senior) would be a good fit for me. I grew up with dogs my entire life but in my twenties got a cat because I was working around the clock and could not devote the right amount of time to one. My beloved cat unfortunately passed away after nearly twenty years with me and I thought maybe now would be the time to explore a dog. I've been looking for a working-line dog to whom I can devote a lot of time, sweat and passion for training, exercise, and socialization. I have an 18 month old son and I live in a large, urban city so I understand a Dutch Shepherd may not be the best fit for me, but I at least wanted to consider it. Thanks!
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: New Member Exploring Potentially Getting Dutch Shepherd

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

A working dog doesn't seem to be a fit for your life style... you live in the inner city, you have a small child, you haven't owned a dog in a long time... these dogs are not really pets! Any fast movement from the child can kick in the dogs prey drive and that's how the child gets bit... another thing these arent really a socializing dog! Honestly sounds like you need a good German Shepherd better temperament for your needs! Plus the Dutchie is more of an experienced working dog person dog! No offense but a Dutchie doesn't sound like a good fit for you... someone WILL get bit and your house destroyed... I've had working dogs my whole life and I train schutzhund 6 days a week not to mention I'm a professional dog trainer and my dog still lives in a pen in the yard (at night he comes in to his crate in the house) because of his level of drive...not trying to be rude I just see a disaster waiting to happen (child getting bit, dog fight while walking, dog needing rehomed or put down)
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

Welcome. You sound like a wonderful pet owner, which is why you're doing your research. I'm confident you'll find the perfect dog.

On that note, I agree with Steve. With an 18 month old, you're already super busy. German Shepherd route may make the perfect pet for the house, and still offer a good amount of drive to train and spend time with you.

For age, get one that's not psycho. They can come in all ages, then devote the time you mentioned to setting true boundaries, and stick to them. Also train the 18 month and later friends to not poke at the dog for fun
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Duke wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:38 pm Welcome. You sound like a wonderful pet owner, which is why you're doing your research. I'm confident you'll find the perfect dog.

On that note, I agree with Steve. With an 18 month old, you're already super busy. German Shepherd route may make the perfect pet for the house, and still offer a good amount of drive to train and spend time with you.

For age, get one that's not psycho. They can come in all ages, then devote the time you mentioned to setting true boundaries, and stick to them. Also train the 18 month and later friends to not poke at the dog for fun
Exactly! Kids get friends friends come over for play dates and scream and wrestle and play and run... not a good situation for a Dutchie with someone who hasn't owned a dog in a long time
ninothecat
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I grew with dogs all my life and now that I am into my later years and work less, I am considering a Dutch Shepherd.

Post by ninothecat »

Just to clarify, I live in an urban city, not the inner city (not there is anything wrong with the latter!). That said, based on the comments above, it sounds like a Dutch Shepherd is not a good fit for someone with a child and who lives in a large city, so I will probably just adopt a couple of dogs together from the pound. Thanks!
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Post by Duke »

ninothecat wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:11 pm Just to clarify, I live in an urban city, not the inner city (not there is anything wrong with the latter!). That said, based on the comments above, it sounds like a Dutch Shepherd is not a good fit for someone with a child and who lives in a large city, so I will probably just adopt a couple of dogs together from the pound. Thanks!
At the end of the day, you are the one to decide what you want. Just make sure you can devote the time needed for the breed.

Post pics when you get your pups!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I will follow with the others, a DS would not suit you well. There are plenty of breeds that would love your devotion and have fun with your son but a DS would not be one of them. I am glad you are researching before you just go out and get one that looks cool then see that it was not the correct fit. Good for you.

A low drive dog would be good. Low drive does not mead "dud". My Thalie is a lower drive but she had plenty of spunk in her younger years.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

WTF...my post didn't take...
Short version:
Prey drive in DS= very NO w/young children
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Duke
Training Dog

Post by Duke »

TimL_168 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:45 pm WTF...my post didn't take...
Short version:
Hate when that happens :/
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Short version:
If I am going to write a post longer than one sentence, Il write it in word or on the notepad first. Ive written a long post and it went *poof* and I wanted to shoot myself
ImageImage
ninothecat
Just Whelped

Post by ninothecat »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:37 pm I will follow with the others, a DS would not suit you well. There are plenty of breeds that would love your devotion and have fun with your son but a DS would not be one of them. I am glad you are researching before you just go out and get one that looks cool then see that it was not the correct fit. Good for you.

A low drive dog would be good. Low drive does not mead "dud". My Thalie is a lower drive but she had plenty of spunk in her younger years.
Is there a breed you would recommend? I was not drawn to Dutch Shepherds for the way they looked in particular but because I thought they were the type of dog that wanted a lot of training and work. So something a long those lines but safer with children. Thanks.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Why do you want a dog that requires a lot of training and work? You have a baby, that requires a lot of training and work. one would think you would want a dog that is the opposite, where you can snuggle with and relax and go for nice walks with the baby.

There are sooooooo many breeds. I have a basset hound too, now that is a dog that is fantastic with kids, loves to snuggle, they do require work because they are very stubborn.

What do you want in a dog, what do you want to do with him, will he be left during the day? What will your life be like in 5 years?
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

German shepherd
ninothecat
Just Whelped

Post by ninothecat »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:47 pm Why do you want a dog that requires a lot of training and work? You have a baby, that requires a lot of training and work. one would think you would want a dog that is the opposite, where you can snuggle with and relax and go for nice walks with the baby.

There are sooooooo many breeds. I have a basset hound too, now that is a dog that is fantastic with kids, loves to snuggle, they do require work because they are very stubborn.

What do you want in a dog, what do you want to do with him, will he be left during the day? What will your life be like in 5 years?

I am semi-retired and to the extent I work it is from home. So I was looking for a kind of dog I could devote time and energy too. My son will be going to preschool in about a year and I have a full time live in au pair and night nanny so, while I spend a lot of time with him, I also have a lot of extra time on my hands. We go out to the parks and take lots of walks around the city so I'd prefer a kind of dog that had endurance and energy too. Steve above mentioned a GSD. There are tons of GSDs in the shelters in my city so maybe the right thing to do is adopt one and work with him/her and trainer. Thanks.
ninothecat
Just Whelped

Post by ninothecat »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:55 pm German shepherd
In my research I have run across a few websites that sell adult fully trained German Shepherds. I don't really need a guard dog but if price isn't an issue, would you recommend going this route?
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

ninothecat wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:35 pm
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:55 pm German shepherd
In my research I have run across a few websites that sell adult fully trained German Shepherds. I don't really need a guard dog but if price isn't an issue, would you recommend going this route?
Sure as long as you research the pedigree make sure it's a well bred dog... make sure the hips and elbows are ofa certified... make sure you have a health guarantee and make sure that price comes with training lessons to transfer the dogs training to you...but honestly I wouldn't you don't have the experience having a dog let alone a working dog to get dog like that... find a good lab or golden retriever... or buy a young German shepherd and hire a professional trainer to help you..
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

If you were buying a fully trained health guaranteed German shepherd with transfer to owner training from me I would charge you between $20-30,000 and that's average price from someone that knows what they are doing and a quality dog
ninothecat
Just Whelped

Post by ninothecat »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:31 pm If you were buying a fully trained health guaranteed German shepherd with transfer to owner training from me I would charge you between $20-30,000 and that's average price from someone that knows what they are doing and a quality dog
Yes those are the prices they have quoted me as well.
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

ninothecat wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:34 pm
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:31 pm If you were buying a fully trained health guaranteed German shepherd with transfer to owner training from me I would charge you between $20-30,000 and that's average price from someone that knows what they are doing and a quality dog
Yes those are the prices they have quoted me as well.
Then you are most likely getting a good dog around that price
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:47 pm
Short version:
If I am going to write a post longer than one sentence, Il write it in word or on the notepad first. Ive written a long post and it went *poof* and I wanted to shoot myself
It was only a couple short paragraphs. Shouldn't have timed out. I think I just hit the back button before it went through. I do copy longer posts from another app...sometimes. :|
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor