New Member Exploring Potentially Getting Dutch Shepherd

For our new members to introduce themselves
ninothecat
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I grew with dogs all my life and now that I am into my later years and work less, I am considering a Dutch Shepherd.

Re: New Member Exploring Potentially Getting Dutch Shepherd

Post by ninothecat »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:29 am
ninothecat wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:34 pm
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:31 pm If you were buying a fully trained health guaranteed German shepherd with transfer to owner training from me I would charge you between $20-30,000 and that's average price from someone that knows what they are doing and a quality dog
Yes those are the prices they have quoted me as well.
Then you are most likely getting a good dog around that price
Is there a particular breeder/trainer you guys recommend? I have already spoken to a couple and they seem in favor of the idea but I understand they obviously have a significant financial incentive.
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Dean Calderon best there is in my opinion... quick google search you'll find him
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Where are you located? There are plenty of breeds that would love to go on long walks, play, and you could train. Just find one with long legs.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
ninothecat
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I grew with dogs all my life and now that I am into my later years and work less, I am considering a Dutch Shepherd.

Post by ninothecat »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:24 pm Where are you located? There are plenty of breeds that would love to go on long walks, play, and you could train. Just find one with long legs.
I live in Los Angeles.
ninothecat
Just Whelped

Post by ninothecat »

Can this possibly even be true for a Dutch Shepherd:

"Our dogs’ entire purpose in life is to be with you. Keeping their handler(s) safe and protected keeps them engaged and occupied. If you are a runner or hiker, of course, they will love doing that activity with you. However, the dogs don’t need to go to the dog park and chase balls or go for a seven-mile run each day. One of best exercises you can do for your dog (to both hone obedience and maintain a strong core) is sit them on an uneven chair or stool in either a sitting or laying down position, having the dog hold that position, while you work or cook dinner or help the kids with their homework. It’s doggie pilates at its finest.

The vast majority of our dogs are great with children. Those that do not gravitate toward children are not sold to families or individuals but rather used for professional or military applications. Some of the first humans our dogs interact with are kids of different ages. The company owners ensure that all dogs, before they are sold, have slept in their own children’s room at night, as nothing helps a protection dog more fully appreciate his role and responsibility than keeping little ones safe at night."
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

ninothecat wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:08 pm Can this possibly even be true for a Dutch Shepherd:

"Our dogs’ entire purpose in life is to be with you. Keeping their handler(s) safe and protected keeps them engaged and occupied. If you are a runner or hiker, of course, they will love doing that activity with you. However, the dogs don’t need to go to the dog park and chase balls or go for a seven-mile run each day. One of best exercises you can do for your dog (to both hone obedience and maintain a strong core) is sit them on an uneven chair or stool in either a sitting or laying down position, having the dog hold that position, while you work or cook dinner or help the kids with their homework. It’s doggie pilates at its finest.
I'm interested in what others say too, and here's my 2 cents.

Most of that could be true for a Dutch Shepherd minus the fact of being a balancing act all day and not needing to be outdoors. They need to be engaged by doing activities with you, not just around you. Bonding is at its best when you engage with him, and I'm not one for pilates.

I'm a fan of treating him like the dog he is by not fooling myself into thinking he's a lap dog or cuddler. He has an inherent drive to protect and be alert, and he is also a companion and I think that he is happiest when with his handler(s) while performing his best at agility, running, playing, and relaxing when it is time to do so.

His mission is definitely to please me and be with his handler(s).
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Sounds stupid! I'm sure they do make sure the dogs they shall are kid safe but that doesn't mean an accident wouldn't happen when the dogs in drive! The balancing thing is so stupid! No these aren't a dog park dog (honestly no dog should be) but take the thing for a walk or play ball!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

OMG, yes, I don't like what they said. Dog Pilates ?? these dogs need to run and play every day and even all day. thalie used to go on mountain bike rides and we were out all day and not on rail trails, up and down and she loved it. ( especially the deer poop). A DS is very sensitive and even Thalie, who is mellow and low drive, does not like when the kids cry, she gets upset, or when the kids fight, and give her a wrong correction??? you will get bit. I don't care that the dogs sleep with there kids, that does not mean anything, it just means they are good with their kids. and its only sleeping in the room. That does not tell me anything.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage