Don't bite the leash that walks you...

Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Don't bite the leash that walks you...

Post by Joxgirl »

I looked to see if there was a tip on this. I read another person had an issue walking his dog as the dog would bite the leash. I tired to find it again but not having luck.
Rogue wants to bite and tug and not let go of her leash. She will walk a bit with the leash in her mouth, but this is not ideal. Then she will sit or lie down.
I'm not expecting perfection on the leash. Getting her used to it now. My concern is herholding it in her mouth.
What should I do? I use distraction and the comment to leave it. All still new to her. Anything else I can add or try with this technique?
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Don't bite the leash that walks you...

Post by centrop67 »

Shaping. Wait patiently until she does what you want. Mark, praise, and treat like crazy.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

centrop67 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:29 pm Shaping. Wait patiently until she does what you want. Mark, praise, and treat like crazy.
Will do.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Joxgirl wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:10 pm I looked to see if there was a tip on this. I read another person had an issue walking his dog as the dog would bite the leash. I tired to find it again but not having luck.
Rogue wants to bite and tug and not let go of her leash. She will walk a bit with the leash in her mouth, but this is not ideal. Then she will sit or lie down.
I'm not expecting perfection on the leash. Getting her used to it now. My concern is herholding it in her mouth.
What should I do? I use distraction and the comment to leave it. All still new to her. Anything else I can add or try with this technique?
She's a puppy! I'd give her a toy to carry
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:24 am
Joxgirl wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:10 pm I looked to see if there was a tip on this. I read another person had an issue walking his dog as the dog would bite the leash. I tired to find it again but not having luck.
She's a puppy! I'd give her a toy to carry
Ahhhhh I like this idea.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

I've started on teaching "take it" and pointing to a toy for him to take with us on walks. It works well so far. Sometimes he drops it during the walk so we go back and tell him "take it" and point for him to pick it up again. I'm no expert but this seems to kill two birds with one stone for us. No leash tugs, and take it, drop it gets practiced on our walks.
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

DaHawaiianDS wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:50 am I've started on teaching "take it" and pointing to a toy for him to take with us on walks. It works well so far. Sometimes he drops it during the walk so we go back and tell him "take it" and point for him to pick it up again. I'm no expert but this seems to kill two birds with one stone for us. No leash tugs, and take it, drop it gets practiced on our walks.
Outstanding.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

does she know "leave it" if not, that is always a good one to teach. Also the taking a toy for walks is good.

Have a plan of what you want. if she does something you don't want her to do, teach it right in that moment. teach " leave it" and say it once and wait, have a toy to replace the leash with
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage