Crate training

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Crate training

Post by Joxgirl »

Crate training is no joke. Puppy cries. Breaks my heart. I know this is important so I'm all in. I'm usually up all night so it's easy for me to handle. Any tricks to make it easier on pup?

This is what I've been doing: coax Rogue in ( and it's a bit of a struggle to get her to get that last leg in due to her not really wanting to be in the crate) and shut the door. She yelps. Oh the cries of despair. I speak to her with positive words only. I also have tried a calm shushing sound. I sit next to her crate which is in my room. She cries. It's a good 10 to 15 minutes tonight.

She goes in her crate after play, and potty break. She has a few chew toys in there and small biscuit for coaxing. I think I discovered that she prefers it quite and dark.

I can keep doing this as long as it takes. I'm in no rush. What has me pondering is how will her crying being in a crate affect her spirit? I don't want her to hate her crate. During the day she has been given the option to be inside it or out. It's placed in an exercise pen in the kitchen. She didn't go it it much yesterday.

What advice do you all have for me?
Thanks in advance.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Crate training

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Cover her with a blanket when you put her in there... it'll help calm her down
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

do a search, there are tons of posts here on crate training. make sure you have some of your clothes in there too
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

The cover really helps. Wwwwaaaayyyy back when Aurora was a puppy coming to jobsites with me, I kept her in a soft crate. I took BABY steps to get her to go in on her own and chill with the door wide open. I didn't start with shutting the door until she was interested in going in on her own. If I were going through crate training with a puppy now, I'd make sure I'd watch out for signs of the dog challenging the crate, and back off& reevaluate as necessary.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: ↑Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:03 pm Cover her with a blanket when you put her in there... it'll help calm her down
Will give this a try.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: ↑Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:28 pm do a search, there are tons of posts here on crate training. make sure you have some of your clothes in there too
I washed the pad we are using in the crate because it got soiled from car sickness on our way home. I didn't even think about it no longer having her scent or mine. Maybe that was some of last nights resistance. I will put a top of mine in there. Thank you for this bit of advice.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

TimL_168 wrote: ↑Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:29 pm The cover really helps. Wwwwaaaayyyy back when Aurora was a puppy coming to jobsites with me, I kept her in a soft crate. I took BABY steps to get her to go in on her own and chill with the door wide open. I didn't start with shutting the door until she was interested in going in on her own. If I were going through crate training with a puppy now, I'd make sure I'd watch out for signs of the dog challenging the crate, and back off& reevaluate as necessary.
Ok. This is good info. I will back off if needed.
I didn't crate train train the Lab. He came with the husband. The multi-poo got some crate training but he was an older puppy and there wasn't much of an issue. Other than that, it has been many years since I have crate trained a dog.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

I haven't met a puppy that didn't cry in the crate. Don't back off of it, as it's very important to get Rogue comfortable in it. Here is my :twocents:

Crate her in a common area while you're home and in that room. Guide her in there with a treat, then randomly when she's outside the crate and not looking, place treats in there so she can walk in by herself to get them.

DON'T be super excited the minute you took her out, like "Heyyyy Baby!!!!" that will show her that the crate is so much worse than being outside of it when you take her out.

Put her in there [guide with food/treat] at random times when you are home, and take her out and put her in soon later. She won't associate the crate with mommy leaving the house.

lastly, make her sit or stay when you open the crate and teach her to move forward when you give her okay. this way she isn't bombarding you the minute the gate opens.

Oh, and I fed Duke in there a couple times, as some suggest, I chose not to continue that.
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Post by Duke »

praise her at random times when she's lying peacefully in there. Don't wait until she acts up to acknowledge she's in there.

don't shove her in there. always guide her with something and close the door behind her
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Don't give her a bed or towel or anything in the crate! If they pee in there it can hide it! Place make sure you don't get in a habit of letting them out right away if they do soil the crate... that can create a habit of soiling the crate Robbie let out!
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: ↑Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:02 pm don't get in a habit of letting them out right away if they do soil the crate... that can create a habit of soiling the crate Robbie let out!
😳Ok. I do have a soft mat in there. I was too late getting her out and just missed a tinkle. 😬
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

Post by zxs107020 »

Joxgirl wrote: ↑Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:49 pm
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: ↑Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:02 pm don't get in a habit of letting them out right away if they do soil the crate... that can create a habit of soiling the crate Robbie let out!
😳Ok. I do have a soft mat in there. I was too late getting her out and just missed a tinkle. 😬
I noticed with Cleo, that she kept peeing in her crate while I had bedding in it. Even though I made sure to wash the bed immediately every time with enzymatic urine cleaning solution. Finally, after she ripped apart one of the beds (I had two that I would switch out while cleaning) I took them out altogether. I noticed that she pees on the hard plastic that came with the crate far less frequently than before. The only times she has peed in their now is when I am gone for 4+ hours. I think that the feeling of the bed material is soft and similar to grass which encourages them to use it. Also, it soaks up the urine which is "cleaner" for the dog and thus a more acceptable practice in their "den" (which they will naturally prefer to keep clean).

As far as getting used to the crate, Cleo still cries for a few minutes once shes been put in the crate and realizes Ive left the house. However, as long as she knows I am in the house or room- she remains quiet. I only close the door at night or when Im gone.

Feed her favorite treats to her inside the crate. I only let Cleo chew bully sticks or get her bully max chews when shes inside the crate. So now, when I say "bone" or "bully" she runs inside her crate and sits there and stares at me and wont move until she gets her treat. Its adorable, I think that is an effective way to acclimate the dog to the crate. Also- the cover is a good idea, I have had one on Cleo's crate since day 1.
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

zxs107020 wrote: ↑Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:10 pm
Joxgirl wrote: ↑Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:49 pm
I noticed with Cleo, that she kept peeing in her crate while I had bedding in it. Even though I made sure to wash the bed immediately every time with enzymatic urine cleaning solution. Finally, after she ripped apart one of the beds (I had two that I would switch out while cleaning) I took them out altogether. I noticed that she pees on the hard plastic that came with the crate far less frequently than before. The only times she has peed in their now is when I am gone for 4+ hours. I think that the feeling of the bed material is soft and similar to grass which encourages them to use it. Also, it soaks up the urine which is "cleaner" for the dog and thus a more acceptable practice in their "den" (which they will naturally prefer to keep clean).

As far as getting used to the crate, Cleo still cries for a few minutes once shes been put in the crate and realizes Ive left the house. However, as long as she knows I am in the house or room- she remains quiet. I only close the door at night or when Im gone.

Feed her favorite treats to her inside the crate. I only let Cleo chew bully sticks or get her bully max chews when shes inside the crate. So now, when I say "bone" or "bully" she runs inside her crate and sits there and stares at me and wont move until she gets her treat. Its adorable, I think that is an effective way to acclimate the dog to the crate. Also- the cover is a good idea, I have had one on Cleo's crate since day 1.
That is cute. Going to her crate waiting for her treat. I should think of something for Rogue to get as a treat in her crate.
We cover her crate and I think she likes that.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Duke
Training Dog

Post by Duke »

Joxgirl wrote: ↑Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:36 am

That is cute. Going to her crate waiting for her treat. I should think of something for Rogue to get as a treat in her crate.
We cover her crate and I think she likes that.
a couple of suggestions above, written by Duke.
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Duke wrote: ↑Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:22 pm I haven't met a puppy that didn't cry in the crate. Don't back off of it, as it's very important to get Rogue comfortable in it. Here is my :twocents:

Crate her in a common area while you're home and in that room. Guide her in there with a treat, then randomly when she's outside the crate and not looking, place treats in there so she can walk in by herself to get them.

DON'T be super excited the minute you took her out, like "Heyyyy Baby!!!!" that will show her that the crate is so much worse than being outside of it when you take her out.

Put her in there [guide with food/treat] at random times when you are home, and take her out and put her in soon later. She won't associate the crate with mommy leaving the house.

lastly, make her sit or stay when you open the crate and teach her to move forward when you give her okay. this way she isn't bombarding you the minute the gate opens.

Oh, and I fed Duke in there a couple times, as some suggest, I chose not to continue that.
How did I miss this???? Good advice. I'm a sucker for her face and get excited to see her. I guess I want that response back. :roll:
I am going to try the treat thing. Right now she is in her expen loving the Kong ziggie. She not into the Kong toys ... yet.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG