So when do they settle down in the house without destroying everything in sight?

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Tyler Durden
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have always had german shepherds but I am new to dutch shepherds. I hope to get a new pup shortly and look forward to learning and sharing my experience.

So when do they settle down in the house without destroying everything in sight?

Post by Tyler Durden »

All my other dogs pretty much learned to settle down by 1 year of age, with that time fast approaching I don't see my dutchie even close to settling down in the house. I feel bad because I keep him kenneled most of the day, but even on leash in the house he goes after every piece of furniture/pillow/washrag/envelope.
Nova17
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a first time dutch shepherd owner, looking for information and hoping to share some as I learn this great breed

Re: So when do they settle down in the house without destroying everything in sight?

Post by Nova17 »

My pup loves those listed things, as well as corners of anything. At 4 months, seems like I habe a ways to go
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: So when do they settle down in the house without destroying everything in sight?

Post by centrop67 »

Radar is 5, and if he's not stimulated mentally and physically, he'll find some mischief to get into.

He's learned that if my wife gets in the shower before he gets his morning walk, he's not going to get one. So, he finds something - usually a shoe - and he drags it to the middle of the living room. He doesn't chew them up much anymore unless he's really pissed off.

The best part is that Leela is a snitch. She's got a special bark for him whenever he does this.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Tyler Durden wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:37 am I keep him kenneled most of the day,
this is your problem.. these dogs are not meant to be kenneled. THey are meant to go all day, running, playing, and mostly working.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Tyler Durden
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have always had german shepherds but I am new to dutch shepherds. I hope to get a new pup shortly and look forward to learning and sharing my experience.

Post by Tyler Durden »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:29 pm
Tyler Durden wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:37 am I keep him kenneled most of the day,
this is your problem.. these dogs are not meant to be kenneled. THey are meant to go all day, running, playing, and mostly working.
Well I made it sound worse than it is...the kennel is huge, and it's in the basement/man cave so he has human interaction while he's in it. I do stimulate him daily with tug/search and obedience work, my problem is he thinks every loose item in the house is a play toy. If he sees a newspaper he will grab it and destroy it. He got a hold of an umbrella and he grabbed it with both hands and would not let go until I choked him off (which is getting MUCH harder to do now that he's so big) I told my trainer about all of this and he laughed it off and said "normal dutch shepherd behavior". He's extremely possessive,like more so than I've ever seen really.
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

I don’t know if they ever can be trusted but I hope so. I allow Rogue to be off leash when I can watch her well.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Tyler Durden wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:12 pm
Dutchringgirl wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:29 pm
Well I made it sound worse than it is...the kennel is huge, and it's in the basement/man cave so he has human interaction while he's in it. I do stimulate him daily with tug/search and obedience work, my problem is he thinks every loose item in the house is a play toy. If he sees a newspaper he will grab it and destroy it. He got a hold of an umbrella and he grabbed it with both hands and would not let go until I choked him off (which is getting MUCH harder to do now that he's so big) I told my trainer about all of this and he laughed it off and said "normal dutch shepherd behavior". He's extremely possessive,like more so than I've ever seen really.
Gotcha ! You need to be firm and consistent all of the time. Sadie was the same way, I used to joke on here about making Sadie soup because I was like a broken record all day " Sadie NO!" "Sadie NO" Yes it is normal, but to laugh it off and not help you is not a good trainer. Keep them on a leash until this behavior is solid. teach them" leave it". Also, clean up after yourself, do not leave things around for them to get. They have a very difficult time with willpower, so if it is there in view, they will go for it..

as soon a you see him going for something, he will be on the leash so you can intervene asap. When you are not able to watch him, either crate him, or if he is staying in the man cave, make sure there is nothing he can get that he is not supposed to.

They are all possessive, they are dogs, they do not understand yet what is theirs and not theirs. Possessive is a human word.

its either time for a new trainer, or you need to up your work with him, or both.

One day, when saide was an adult (cough) I was in the shower, and when I came out, there were feathers ALL OVER the room. She had pulled a Comforter off the bed but it got stuck on the corner of the bed and played tug of war with it.
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Joxgirl wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:30 am I don’t know if they ever can be trusted but I hope so. I allow Rogue to be off leash when I can watch her well.
That is a statement that allows the dog to be in control, they can be trusted when you have put the time into them. If I can trust Sadie, it is possible.
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:46 pm [
That is a statement that allows the dog to be in control, they can be trusted when you have put the time into them. If I can trust Sadie, it is possible.
[/quote]

This is what I wanted to say. I’m sick in bed and could not make clear statements. But you definitely said it better.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG