Genetics

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Genetics

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

People really need to consider the genetics when researching a breed such as a malinois dutch shepherd or even pitbull! Too many people are getting dutchies because they are cool looking... and I'm seeing more and more of the pitbull advocate mentality towards our beloved brindle shepherds.. remember you can't change a person's eye color from loving them or raising them a certain way... same goes for genetics in dogs! You cant change a dutchie NY raising it a certain way. You can train it and socialize it and manage instincts and drives but you can't raise them out of them
Attachments
IMG_20180422_133256_607.jpg
IMG_20180422_133256_607.jpg (129.81 KiB) Viewed 3641 times
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Genetics

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Well Said !!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

Confession: posts like this make me nervous about my rescue. Granted, I found a very credible training facility (owner titled with his DS in FR and trainers all work with DS and Malinois as well as own their own), but when I adopted him, I had no idea he was a Dutch Shepherd until someone told me that’s what he might be. I thought I was getting a GSD mix (thinking: awesome! He will probably be a little more chill! :roll: ). I have a small dog already who has been my best friend for 9 years and want to start a family in a few years and I am so nervous that the pup I adopted is going to bite someone or my older dog one day once he has matured and developed the protection instinct. My pup is part of the family now though so we have committed to some very expensive (for us) private lessons for an hour once a week and lots of at home training and activities.

I want to pick a dog sport to get him into once he is a bit older and has finished his obedience training, but being a noob in dog sports I am not sure how to find the one best for him!
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

oddbird wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:31 pm Confession: posts like this make me nervous about my rescue. Granted, I found a very credible training facility (owner titled with his DS in FR and trainers all work with DS and Malinois as well as own their own), but when I adopted him, I had no idea he was a Dutch Shepherd until someone told me that’s what he might be. I thought I was getting a GSD mix (thinking: awesome! He will probably be a little more chill! :roll: ). I have a small dog already who has been my best friend for 9 years and want to start a family in a few years and I am so nervous that the pup I adopted is going to bite someone or my older dog one day once he has matured and developed the protection instinct. My pup is part of the family now though so we have committed to some very expensive (for us) private lessons for an hour once a week and lots of at home training and activities.

I want to pick a dog sport to get him into once he is a bit older and has finished his obedience training, but being a noob in dog sports I am not sure how to find the one best for him!
Sounds like you have a good trainer and are going to be just fine... honestly stick with your trainer and do ringsport
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I run this forum, and I am always second guessing my capability to have such a wonderful dog. Honestly, I am always trying to find ways to keep up with him - to give him the outlets he needs. If he wasn't hyper dog-reactive I would have him in every contest I could find.

He can jump higher, run faster, and pretty much outshine any dog I've ever seen, and it kills me regularly that I am not capable of taking advantage of that.

What I probably need is for Steve to come down here and kick me in the ass - also we can go fishing offshore on days off.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

centrop67 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:45 am I run this forum, and I am always second guessing my capability to have such a wonderful dog. Honestly, I am always trying to find ways to keep up with him - to give him the outlets he needs. If he wasn't hyper dog-reactive I would have him in every contest I could find.

He can jump higher, run faster, and pretty much outshine any dog I've ever seen, and it kills me regularly that I am not capable of taking advantage of that.

What I probably need is for Steve to come down here and kick me in the ass - also we can go fishing offshore on days off.
Can I have an invite to that party? :lol: I’ve been known to be good luck on fishing boats too!
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Bill Belichick: "No days off!"
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

centrop67 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:45 am I run this forum, and I am always second guessing my capability to have such a wonderful dog. Honestly, I am always trying to find ways to keep up with him - to give him the outlets he needs. If he wasn't hyper dog-reactive I would have him in every contest I could find.

Hmmm of we are catching sharks I'm totally in!!!! Let's set something up!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:42 am
oddbird wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:31 pm Confession: posts like this make me nervous about my rescue. Granted, I found a very credible training facility (owner titled with his DS in FR and trainers all work with DS and Malinois as well as own their own), but when I adopted him, I had no idea he was a Dutch Shepherd until someone told me that’s what he might be. I thought I was getting a GSD mix (thinking: awesome! He will probably be a little more chill! :roll: ). I have a small dog already who has been my best friend for 9 years and want to start a family in a few years and I am so nervous that the pup I adopted is going to bite someone or my older dog one day once he has matured and developed the protection instinct. My pup is part of the family now though so we have committed to some very expensive (for us) private lessons for an hour once a week and lots of at home training and activities.

Sounds like you have a good trainer and are going to be just fine... honestly stick with your trainer and do ringsport
YES do ring sport !!!! OMG it is so much fun !! I did it with Thalie and my Mal for years. I miss it so much
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:53 am

YES do ring sport !!!! OMG it is so much fun !! I did it with Thalie and my Mal for years. I miss it so much
I used to do ring too! I loved it I just prefer ipo
Attachments
n4aZNYPwQjcIURkGE3f57BqjPSbIxAUbz9crRY_a8kU,.jpg
n4aZNYPwQjcIURkGE3f57BqjPSbIxAUbz9crRY_a8kU,.jpg (4.36 KiB) Viewed 3584 times
oddbird
Green Dog

Post by oddbird »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:53 am

Once we get to that point, my understanding is that the owner will have to evaluate him before being able to start the training for it.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

oddbird wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:53 pm

Once we get to that point, my understanding is that the owner will have to evaluate him before being able to start the training for it.
What do you mean? Ring or IPO is a great outlet, you do not have to compete, but you both learn so much and it is a great outlet for the dog.
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:56 pm

What do you mean? Ring or IPO is a great outlet, you do not have to compete, but you both learn so much and it is a great outlet for the dog.
Probably wants to make sure the dog has the drive
oddbird
Green Dog

Post by oddbird »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:39 pm
Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:56 pm

Probably wants to make sure the dog has the drive
Yes, exactly what Steve said.
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:05 am
centrop67 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:45 am

WTH Steve, your land shark is not enough for you? Sounds like Michael is looking for relaxing and catching pretty little fish on a big boat, FOR FUN. Not tackling sharks in the big blue deep. Ha ha ha. :shark:
I want to jump on that boat ride too.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Joxgirl wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:27 pm
centrop67 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:45 am

WTH Steve, your land shark is not enough for you? Sounds like Michael is looking for relaxing and catching pretty little fish on a big boat, FOR FUN. Not tackling sharks in the big blue deep. Ha ha ha. :shark:
Haha I fish for mako, blue and threshers out here! If I'm going offshore it's for something big! Tuna or marlin work too
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:45 am

Haha I fish for mako, blue and threshers out here! If I'm going offshore it's for something big! Tuna or marlin work too
I like to fish, but I rather float. You boys can catch the dinner before you cook it up.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Joxgirl wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:46 am
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:45 am

I like to fish, but I rather float. You boys can catch the dinner before you cook it

I thought you were cooking?
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Come on Guy! You catch it, you clean it, you cook it. I’ll make the salad. :salad:
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG