Zoey gagging

borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Zoey gagging

Post by borellar15 »

I’m out of town for work but Kim has called me saying that Zoey is coughing/dry heaving and sometimes throwing up just a little bit of white spit she says. She’s had all her vaccines for bordatella and rabies and parvo and everything. I can’t think of what could be wrong with her. She said she is acting herself otherwise. Eating normal, still lots of energy and playing normal. Normal stools everything appears normal but just about once an hour or every couple hours she starts dry heaving and sometimes spits up a little bit of white spit. Any ideas? I don’t want to spend a bunch of money on a vet visit if there’s nothing to freak out about. I figured as long as she’s not acting lethargic or acting like she doesn’t want to eat she should be fine. Been 2 days now. Maybe she ate some dirt or mulch or something at the park or swallows some fuzz from those stupid bark box toys the other day? Idk. I just don’t think it’s kennel cough since she’s been vaccinated and she’s got plenty of energy and appetite :huh:
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Zoey gagging

Post by centrop67 »

For me the length of time is the determining factor. Two days is pushing the edge.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

Just throwing this out there: my dog fakes injuries when he has determined I shouldn’t have left him to go out of town. One time it was a limp that magically disappeared when I got home and the most recent was a dry cough/heave that also disappeared after coming home. I called the vet about the cough and they said to keep an eye on the frequency for a little while and just make sure it doesn’t get worse then suggested it might be a collapsed trachea since he is older now. No collapsed trachea. Just faking lol.
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I have no idea, but if it continues, id see the vet,
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

oddbird wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:54 pm they said to keep an eye on the frequency for a little while and just make sure it doesn’t get worse
I should have added that I would watch for severity increase as well.
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Yea Zoey tends to have “fake illnesses” as well when we go out of town like last time when we were visiting family our dog sitter called saying she had explosive diarrhea. It went away when we returned. Usually she’s fine when it’s just me that leaves for work but idk. I’ll have her keep an eye on it. If she sees any changes in her mood, behavior or appetite I’ll have her take her in. Thanks guys.
Image Image
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

borellar15 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:55 pm Yea Zoey tends to have “fake illnesses” as well when we go out of town like last time when we were visiting family our dog sitter called saying she had explosive diarrhea. It went away when we returned. Usually she’s fine when it’s just me that leaves for work but idk. I’ll have her keep an eye on it. If she sees any changes in her mood, behavior or appetite I’ll have her take her in. Thanks guys.
I dont believe that they "fake"something. but the diarrhea could very well be from separation anxiety. remember, they may like the rest of your family but are bonded to one human. so when you leave she gets upset.
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

centrop67 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:19 pm For me the length of time is the determining factor. Two days is pushing the edge.
Agreed
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:20 pm
borellar15 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:55 pm Yea Zoey tends to have “fake illnesses” as well when we go out of town like last time when we were visiting family our dog sitter called saying she had explosive diarrhea. It went away when we returned. Usually she’s fine when it’s just me that leaves for work but idk. I’ll have her keep an eye on it. If she sees any changes in her mood, behavior or appetite I’ll have her take her in. Thanks guys.
I dont believe that they "fake"something. but the diarrhea could very well be from separation anxiety. remember, they may like the rest of your family but are bonded to one human. so when you leave she gets upset.
Lisa, I have a very interesting story relating to this. I'll hammered now, but I'll try to remember to post it later.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

I agree that the diarrhea was likely from separation anxiety. The one who was limping with my friend (literally limping before I walked in the door, came through and the limp magically never came back) isn’t a DS and he only does stuff like that after it’s been longer than around 5 days, which has only been 3 times in his 9 years of life. The dogs usually go where I go.
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Lisa, I have a very interesting story relating to this. I'll hammered now, but I'll try to remember to post it later.
ummmmmmmmmmm do you mean "Im Hammered" :lol: :lol: :lol: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint:
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:34 pm
ummmmmmmmmmm do you mean "Im Hammered" :lol: :lol: :lol: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint:
Well... I'm feeling better now 😁
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

Update y’all:

When I got home it seemed more prevalent than she had made it sound. Zoey woke me up several times that night from hacking and dry heaving and Then while trying to do a session with her she wasn’t interested in the freeze dried raw treats or her tug and I said that’s it...took her to the vet and she’s being treated for kennel cough. Tripper is now showing signs as well so now he is being taken in today. Just thought I’d share with y’all.
Image Image
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

oh wow, thanks for letting us know
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Wow. That sucks.

I know there was some light-hearted banter in this thread, but I know we all hope your dogs get better soon.
Michael
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

centrop67 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:57 pm Wow. That sucks.

I know there was some light-hearted banter in this thread, but I know we all hope your dogs get better soon.
Oh they’ll be fine. They’re still coughing but Zoey is already showing signs of improvement since starting her medication. She’s back being playful and eating and everything again. Same for tripper. Just gotta continue the meds and they’ll be fine.
Image Image