Anesthesia!

GimpyGolden
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Pupp's name is Monster and he's owning it so far.
At time this
update he's 10 weeks.

Plan on doing obedience with him and maybe compete.
Before Monster I've had Dobermann's and my Bros.has a Malinois

Anesthesia!

Post by GimpyGolden »

Hey all,
Monster has broken a lower canine tooth and the Pulp is exposed. He needs to go in to have it extracted, preferably before it goes abscess.

I've read of some of the concerns about anesthesia in our lean dogs. I see many recommend a low dose but
I am sure that isn't an option in this case as he's a young dog (13months) and it is an otherwise healthy tooth, meaning it's going to be some work to pull.

Is there any concerns I should relay to the Vet other than the low body fat deal?

I am understandably pretty nervous about him being put out but it is obviously a neccesity.
Wish Monster and I good luck for a safe and speedy recovery.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Anesthesia!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I remember reading somewhere a long while back to make sure they do the amount for sight dogs. Not sure through, Do some more research and see if anyone else here has any info.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Anesthesia!

Post by TimL_168 »

My old hybrid cracked the top off of a carnassial on Christmas morning. Down to the pulp. They just ground it down some, packed & capped it. I was told she might have to come back for a root canal or extraction of it ever failed. It lasted at least 5 years. Might be a shorter duration under anesthesia if it's a viable option for your dog.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor