Size Question

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
demonshalo
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi, my name is Lindsey and I have a five year old boxer named Roo and a five month old DS named Eris. My girls are wonderful and Eris is beginning to learn her manners. Luckily I have an older, low energy dog to calm her down some! Love them, they are like my and my husband's kids!!

Size Question

Post by demonshalo »

My Dutch Shepherd puppy, Eris, is a little over six months old now. We took her to the vet a couple weeks ago for an abscess under her chin and she was 30 pounds. She is a little shorter and not as heavy as I'd suspect a DS to be around that age so I asked my trainer and he agreed. She was a rescue so I wouldn't be surprised if she has another breed mixed in. The trainer was thinking maybe it's Staffordshire Terrier, one of the pit bull breeds, again not at all surprising because that breed is really popular here in Arizona. She is probably a medium energy level, incredibly smart, doing really well with OB training and bite training. I can't see anything but the DS in her, although I am not an expert, so I thought I would get all of your opinions. Is she maybe just a runt or a mix? I added some pictures but she and my boxer were in play mode so it's hard to get them to hold still. Appreciate the feedback!
whatsthatnoise2.jpg
whatsthatnoise2.jpg (67.43 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
sniffingeverything2.jpg
sniffingeverything2.jpg (43.44 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
sixmonthsold2.jpg
sixmonthsold2.jpg (31.35 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
playtime2.jpg
playtime2.jpg (38.77 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
MyGirls.jpg
MyGirls.jpg (70.67 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
Lindsey and the kiddos

"Whoever said that diamonds are a girl's best friend...never had a dog." ~Unknown
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Re: Size Question

Post by LyonsFamily »

Looking at Elli's vet records, she was 29 lbs at 5 months. She's a purebred Dutch, but a very small one at around 45lbs now. She'll be 3 in a few days. It's completely possible that Eris might just be small whether she's the runt or from small lines. Personally, I think she has something else in her. In those pictures, her muzzle looks shorter and she's missing the high tuck up and thinner frame. It's hard to tell with just those pictures though.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

Looking at those photo's it does look like there is something else in the genetics.

Cino has leveled out at 50 pounds. Smaller than the dog I wanted - but times have changed and he is the right size for me now.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I have to agree. Her face is too boxy for a DS. Her Sister dosnt look too upset though. :DSlove:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
demonshalo
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi, my name is Lindsey and I have a five year old boxer named Roo and a five month old DS named Eris. My girls are wonderful and Eris is beginning to learn her manners. Luckily I have an older, low energy dog to calm her down some! Love them, they are like my and my husband's kids!!

Post by demonshalo »

Thanks for the replies everyone! Just wanted to get some other input on it. We love her no matter what :DSlove: and her sister certainly doesn't mind lol. You never know exactly what you're getting with a lot of rescues but that is the way we like to go. Thanks!
Lindsey and the kiddos

"Whoever said that diamonds are a girl's best friend...never had a dog." ~Unknown
Tomoe
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: First dutchie, GSD previouslyi

Post by Tomoe »

Our Tomo is about 8 months now and hovering at about 42lbs. DS/Mal mix, and I know she was the runt of the litter. Yes to me I was hoping for a little more size and have been worried she is small, seeing her brother was about the same size at 6months. I cant comment on your girls lines but size wise in all the research I have done it seems not at all odd for female Dutchies to be in this range it...I'm hoping at least lol.
Susannah
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 29 year old nurse. 2 year old dutch shepherd at home and iguana.

Post by Susannah »

Size of pure ds girl, 1 year and few months old.
83 pounds now. Hopefully no more will come..
Attachments
IMG_20180910_025249.png
IMG_20180910_025249.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 2361 times
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

looking again at the pictures, she is not a ds, looks like a pit mix
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage