Seeking help

Obedience (non-protection) discussion. We have broken the two apart.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Seeking help

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Joxgirl wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:40 am :dsshock: I would do it just to do something different with Rogue.
Today when we played, I waited until she made eye contact before I threw the ball.
YES! This is exactly what you want to do when you want to train something. She cant do X until she makes eye contact, and you just stand there, say "LOOK" once and thats it, and as soon as she makes eye contact, reward with a ball or what ever. then hold the eye contact a bit longer and do that until she is comfortable with holding eye contact for as long as you say.

Its the same with anything else, stand quiet until she sits quiet,
Joxgirl wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:40 am I need to change things up and keep my girl happy and stimulated.
I love this forum and all that it has to offer.
I glean many new ideas and insights. This breed of dog/bitch is amazing and I want to continue to do good by what they have to offer.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Thank you, Lisa. I value your thoughts and opinions.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Come to ny
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Joxgirl wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:13 pm Thank you, Lisa. I value your thoughts and opinions.
Why??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImage
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Post by Tennessee3 »

Rogue is a high drive dog so fixing things should be easy.

Love this book
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0966302028/re ... VBbW3Z9T7G

running or backpedaling away from your dog is huge for establishing a proper recall base. You running away from your dog swinging a toy in around > squirrel or interesting smells. Also a huge thing is restraining your pup to get them amped up then calling them to you. Get your husband to hold her on a leash run away swinging toy, stop turn around and recall.

Big mistake I made with my first dog is viewing a leash as “training wheels” rather than a remote shut off or immediate correction tool. My thought process went “well if I can work with her till she’s reliable off leash, then what purpose does on leash serve? I’m just wasting time”. Not helpful, you don’t ever want to give a order you can’t enforce. Get a tracking line 30-40 feet, let her get distracted & recall. Reel her in like a fish if you have to, but you’ve got to establish that when you say come you MEAN come & that’s right the hell now as quickly as you can get here. Her feelings on the matter aren’t important.

First 20 seconds of this vid show recall work, backpedaling, restraining.

Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Tennessee3 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:34 pm Rogue is a high drive dog so fixing things should be easy.

Love this book

you don’t ever want to give a order you can’t enforce.

This is the best piece of advice anyone can hear. If you cant enforce it dont work on it.
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

It's the same with kids... And that advice is 100% on point
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

TimL_168 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:23 pm It's the same with kids... And that advice is 100% on point
so true, i was thinking about that when I wrote it
ImageImage
Susannah
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 29 year old nurse. 2 year old dutch shepherd at home and iguana.

Post by Susannah »

Oh well. U have e collar? That alone when properly used shoud help u with. My dog used to take off 90 percent of time. After e collar, outside feeding and serious nosework she is much more luv. She also wants to be near me, so she sleeps right infront bedroom door. U just need to train and get nerves of steel, if its treats and toys, consider urself lucky, it is far easier to train a dog with high drive. :)
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:39 pm
Joxgirl wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:13 pm Thank you, Lisa. I value your thoughts and opinions.
Because usually your advice comes with at least one fine beverage of choice
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Joxgirl wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:40 am
Dutchringgirl wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:39 pm
Because usually your advice comes with at least one fine beverage of choice
aahhh you know me so well :DSlove:
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Tennessee3 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:34 pm Rogue is a high drive dog so fixing things should be easy.

Love this book
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0966302028/re ... VBbW3Z9T7G

running or backpedaling away from your dog is huge for establishing a proper recall base. You running away from your dog swinging a toy in around > squirrel or interesting smells. Also a huge thing is restraining your pup to get them amped up then calling them to you. Get your husband to hold her on a leash run away swinging toy, stop turn around and recall.

Big mistake I made with my first dog is viewing a leash as “training wheels” rather than a remote shut off or immediate correction tool. My thought process went “well if I can work with her till she’s reliable off leash, then what purpose does on leash serve? I’m just wasting time”. Not helpful, you don’t ever want to give a order you can’t enforce. Get a tracking line 30-40 feet, let her get distracted & recall. Reel her in like a fish if you have to, but you’ve got to establish that when you say come you MEAN come & that’s right the hell now as quickly as you can get here. Her feelings on the matter aren’t important.

First 20 seconds of this vid show recall work, backpedaling, restraining.

Thank you for pointing me to this book. I am going to buy it today, with the smile choice to donate to the Dutch Sheps of course. I watched the video too. I used some of the idea and had some crazy play time with training Rogue. She loved it. Me too. I bet our neighbors have now confirmed that I’m crazy. Haha
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Susannah wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:12 pm Oh well. U have e collar? That alone when properly used shoud help u with. My dog used to take off 90 percent of time. After e collar, outside feeding and serious nosework she is much more luv. She also wants to be near me, so she sleeps right infront bedroom door. U just need to train and get nerves of steel, if its treats and toys, consider urself lucky, it is far easier to train a dog with high drive. :)
Rouge loves her treats and toys but there are moments her prey drive takes over when a crazy squirrel catches her attention, or lizard. I bought an e-collar. I haven’t used it yet.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

I'm telling ya, the furry little critters are useful tools!! Go to a open space somewhere that you're certain there are no other distractions except for a couple tree rats. Hold her back. Let her see them. Let her get amped up. Move closer slowly until you're sure that if you loose her, the squirrel will make it to safety ( renewable resource). When you get to that point, Give her a very easy command. Sit, gib laut, etc. Get her to give you that tiny fraction of obedience and then loose the dog as reward. Build from there. It goes quickly.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

TimL_168 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:12 am I'm telling ya, the furry little critters are useful tools!! Go to a open space somewhere that you're certain there are no other distractions except for a couple tree rats. Hold her back. Let her see them. Let her get amped up. Move closer slowly until you're sure that if you loose her, the squirrel will make it to safety ( renewable resource). When you get to that point, Give her a very easy command. Sit, gib laut, etc. Get her to give you that tiny fraction of obedience and then loose the dog as reward. Build from there. It goes quickly.
That Amps me up just thinking about how exciting it it to do that with her. I will give it a try.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Bought the book and waiting for it to arrive.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG