dogpark

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
kalinoodlesoup
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I live in Ontario, Canada with my mom, and our dog named Kali. We rescued Kali 2 years ago, and have no information about her life prior to us.

dogpark

Post by kalinoodlesoup »

A new dog park opened up in my town recently. I've taken my dog Kali twice so far. She seems to like it quite a bit, but I'm wondering if we can do something to help her be a little more friendly. She is VERY protective of my and my family, and won't let any dogs get near us usually. I'm just wonder how your dogs do at the dog park, and if you have any advice.

Thanks, Kalinoodlesoup
Kalinoodlesoup ON Canada
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Re: dogpark

Post by ladyjubilee »

I don't take Bramble to dog parks. Closest we've gotten is working obedience on the road to the park.

The risk isn't worth the reward for me. One incident and not only could Bramble be hurt, or catch some bug (germ kind or flea kind), but then we'd be without the work she does.

Plus Bramble is still dog reactive when she isn't in work mode.

But again Bramble is training to be a service dog so our risk reward calculation is a little different.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

A lot of us here have an unpopular perspective on dog parks.
I took my Shiloh Shepherd to a dog park for a short time when she was younger. There were a few very gory dog fights resulting from negligent owners with dogs that had no reason to be there off leash and un-muzzled. My dog Aurora, was easy going and gregarious. There were precious few owners there that watched their dogs for signs of mood change. Also, Aurora contracted two separate communicable diseases while we were frequenting the dog park.
I love to let Endeavor have down time to run and play with another dog. I think a lot of us here do that by finding just one or two dogs & owners that our dogs naturally flow with.
I reckon the most important thing I can say is to not let the dog park be the pinnacle of your dogs existence. Your dog should always look at you as the most interesting thing around. It's tedious to build that engagement. And it's ongoing. My only advice is to never let the dog park take the place of your own time with your dog.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I'm terrible at catching mood changes. I miss those ears going up, then respond too late.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Laplaiefier
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are a good reflection of their owners?
LOL I must be hardheaded and stubborn.
I guess before and after results with dogs tend to show the effort put into them.

Post by Laplaiefier »

Sheesh...I have this vision of dogs playing, Rocket playing and suddenly a happy dog comes running over and jumps up on me.
Play time over. Mr Hyde and Taz are back.
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

Perfect timing for this article....

https://www.collared-scholar.com/play-s ... periences/
Patty and Ice
PhillipJFry
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Grace = Best Girl

Post by PhillipJFry »

Used to take Grace to the dog park by me. Haven't been back since she was calmly sitting next to me and another dog ran up to pick a fight with her. The other dog, a shepherd mix of some kind, just came bolting over and bit her paw as Grace reared back. She needed 4 staples to close up the wound. She was miserable with her cone of shame on for two weeks. We just do dog daycare now, the actual monetary cost is worth her getting to play/socialize/whatever in a controlled environment with known dogs.
Good Girl Grace