Introducing a New Dog

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Introducing a New Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

As you know, Peanuts' time came last week. Normally, when I've lost a dog, I start looking immediately as I feel like "saving" another from a kill shelter honors the dog. My mom, however, has wanted to take time to greive.

Today, however, I got an email from Petfinder that shelters and rescues are having a hard time because their volunteers can't volunteer, and dogs are still coming in without dogs going out. She said she knew and it turned out she's been looking.

This going to mean introducing a new dog soon. And she is drawn to Jack Russell/rat terrier type dogs (like Peanuts). This will be small dog; a snack sized dog for Bramble.

I thought I'd have time to talk to the trainer and develop a plan. But there is a dog up her ally at a local shelter.

Any guidance on bringing in a new dog with a reactive dog? Especially a much smaller dog.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Introducing a New Dog

Post by centrop67 »

I think number one is to meet on neutral ground -Not in the house for sure.

Number two is to take it slow. (Lather, Rinse, Repeat)

Number three - Leashes can be problematic. Probably best for them to have leashes on but without holding them, so they can be pulled apart if things go sideways.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

Jack Russell/ Rat Terriers can be some of the most reactive types. They can also be aggressive. Many can have temperament problems. I’d be looking pretty hard at the dogs stability. I’m assuming the dog would be living with you.
Tim
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

She reacts when see seems most dogs. We've come a long way with her, but even with Peanuts I tried to stay very aware.

Jack Russells and Parsons are definitely strong willed little dogs and rat terriers are very energetic. We've at at least a mix of some sort since I was little. Peanuts was cranky up until the end. To an extent Bramble yielded to him as he was an old dog and when she came she was (it turns out) a pup. Normally, we wouldn't be averse to an older dog, but after loosing a 13, 16 and 20 year old in a row, it will need to be in the 3ish range.

Too, one of the things about getting from a shelter, especially a kill shelter, is you don't really know the temperament. That said, every dog we've gotten has turned out to be wonderful. Peanuts had been returned by 5 familes, including one experienced foster family, before we got him. The shelter staff even joked that "maybe" he wouldn't be back "this time".

I wish we could foster.....but that just wouldn't work for us. But I think you'd be a great foster. Your experience training and knowledge of a dog's needs need would really benefit the dogs.

I will definitely keep them separate when first starting. The way we've handled it in the past was to bring the new dog home, and keep then dogs in separate rooms where they could smell each other. Then the next day take a walk with the dogs together to build the pack sense. Before gradually allowing them more time together. And we feed in completely different locations.

But Bramble is fast. I plan to have her on ecollar, but still worry I may not be fast enough if things go south.

BTW we did spot a Malinois up for adoption in our area, but, well, no.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs