Fireworks

icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Fireworks

Post by icvanstra »

I put this new topic in behaviour because it could easily have been in a couple of places and it just seemed like the right place...

I want to start a discussion on dealing with your dogs and fireworks.

If you are concerned with how your DS behaves or reacts to them ... or if you have suggestions for others on hoe to handle them...
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Fireworks

Post by icvanstra »

I started this topic of conversation because one of my neighbors is setting off some rather large fireworks this evening.

As Abigail ( my mutt ) has aged she has become a bit more stressed by the sounds from smaller fireworks like bottle rockets and firecrackers. The bigger aerial stuff doesn't seem to bother her.

Cino at this time doesn't really care and at most just cocks his head and tries to figure out where the sound is coming from.

As we get closer to the 4th I make sure the house is closed up and there is music playing. That seems to be enough to cover the "sharpness" of fireworks so that Abigail doesn't react.

A few years ago I stopped having the dogs outside for extended periods of time on the days before/after the fourth for the couple of hours that the fireworks seem to be most prevalent.

Please chime in and let us know if you have concerns about your DS and fireworks or if you have a things that work with your DS to mitigate the issue.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
dutchringdog
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a single mom with two great children and a lovely DS

Post by dutchringdog »

good idea. Thalie seems to be fine with anything, but Sadie does get scared when we have thunderstorms so Im sure fireworks will be an issue for her. One thunderstorm she got into the corner of the couch and shook. The last storm I had her in her crate and she was fine.
Lisa , Thalie, Sadie
http://www.designsbyclyne.com
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Fortunately, Geyser doesn't have issues with loud noises...so far. She's just a year now.

I wonder if those tight fitting neopreme shirts they have for dogs with thunderstorm phobias might help the dogs with fireworks issues? A friend of mine has one for her storm phobic BC, and it really makes a difference for that dog. Anther dog I was told about, it helps some, but just some (that dog is very phobic).

Might be worth trying...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Sadie may need one, we are having a bad thunderstorm and thalie is sleeping happily under my desk at my feed and Sadie is next to me drooling and scared.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage