Page 2 of 2
Re: Geyser is sick...
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:36 am
by Drizlaru
I'm glad she's better! I hope she doesn't get sick like that anymore! I hate hearing about sick pups.
I feel like I would be doing you a disservice if I didn't give this information though, and maybe it doesn't apply to Geyser, but perhaps someone else reading this thread.
The reason I ask about Leptospirosis is for multiple reasons. Reading through this article, and you will see why.
http://www.petside.com/condition/dog/le ... sis-canine
A good friend of mine had a 3 yr old Husky who contracted a bug from infected water just off her property.
He got really sick, they took him to the vet, did a check on him. Checked kidney function, blockages, anything that might be causing the digestive system to just start rejecting everything. Gave him some anti-nausea medication, and fluids, a few days later he perked up and seemed fine. Got his appetite back, and was horsing around like Husky's do. About 6 weeks went by and he got sick again with the same symptoms, just increased x 10. It hit hard and fast, he ended up in the animal hospital for 2 days and didn't make it out. Turns out it was Lepto that had gone untreated.
RIP Wiley.
Re: Geyser is sick...
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:20 pm
by GSDNanny
Glad to hear Geyser is back up to speed!!
Re: Geyser is sick...
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:14 pm
by vneerland
That;s some scary stuff, Dizlaru/Ben

Re: Geyser is sick...
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:54 am
by leih merigian
Wow, Ben, that is some scary stuff. I'll definitely discuss it with my vet...
Re: Geyser is sick...
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:12 am
by Dutchringgirl
Yeah!! glad Geyser is better! Thanks Ben for posting that, its always good to read about stuff. I never heard of it but you never know.
Re: Geyser is sick...
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:37 pm
by Marjolein
Leptospirosis? I had to google on that name, but had heard about it, it's called "ziekte van Weil" overhere (=Weil's disease). There are many lakes in Holland, that have still standing water in them, they are known to be dangerous for dogs AND humans if it is warm for long periods of time. We have an organistaion that looks after these waters, because some is cleaned into drinking water, but also to watch water where people swim. Since Holland is so small, this means almost every small lake is supervised, and they put signs up if leptospirosis or "blue algies" have been detected. For humans ofcourse, but it comes in handy if you happen to have dogs.
In Germany I have not seen this, they just put up signs that you cannot swim, only at your own risk. Only the bigger lakes with lots of tourists are checked I guess... I've known a few dogs that had it, and made it through. Mainly, I guess, because vet's overhere know it well and see the syptoms.
Re: Geyser is sick...
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:53 am
by leih merigian
There are so many damn organisms to keep track of and watch out for...it's enough to make you totally bonkers!
I had to stop by the vet today to pick something up, and asked her about the lepto. She has treated many dogs with this disease, and Geyser (fortunately) did not present with the right symptoms. She just wasn't sick enough, and she didn't have any bloody stool.
My vet thinks she just ate too much antler, too quickly, and it got out of hand with something else that may have been going on in there...
Re: Geyser is sick...
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:16 pm
by felixone123
In the area we live our dogs are given lepto shots once a year.
Re: Geyser is sick...
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:48 am
by Dutchringgirl
Really Barb? Being so close I never heard of it. No lepto shots here. Ill have to ask my vet.
Re: Geyser is sick...
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:19 am
by Drizlaru
Be careful with the Lepto shots, the effective vaccination period doesn't always last a full year.
Re: Geyser is sick...
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:55 pm
by alspyce
Dutchringgirl wrote:Really Barb? Being so close I never heard of it. No lepto shots here. Ill have to ask my vet.
The "Lepto" is the "L" part of your run of the mill, DHLP+CPV vaccine most vets use. It's also the part of the vaccine most likely to cause an allergic reaction, so some vets/breeders have stopped using it routinely, especially in puppies. Up here I have to ask specially if I DON'T want a dog to have it.
Re: Geyser is sick...
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:44 pm
by felixone123
Dutchringgirl wrote:Really Barb? Being so close I never heard of it. No lepto shots here. Ill have to ask my vet.
Yeah, my vet strongly recommends it. We do have a lot of raccoons around here. I see them all the time in and near the yard at night. Do ask your vet to be sure.
Re: Geyser is sick...
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:45 pm
by felixone123
Drizlaru wrote:Be careful with the Lepto shots, the effective vaccination period doesn't always last a full year.
good to know. will check with vet. Thanks.