Page 2 of 3
Re: beware of dog?
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:59 pm
by feraloup
Definitely agree with the other input, here. Good girl, Stella! And also good of you to be really aware of wanting to protect her in case of potential "situations." I've always had a "resume" and a list of references (including past landlords and neighbors) for each of my dogs. I don't own my home, I rent, and there's been more than once due to a job change or restlessness or house being sold that I've needed to move. Trying to find an affordable rental with even one pet can be a hassle, I've done it with 3 dogs 2 cats and a horse! *lol* (I will never be one of those people who gives up my dog because "Well, we have to move and can't find a place that will allow it," if it's important enough you find a way.)
Having Therapy Dog certifications and CGC cert. and also all the refernces and folks willing to vouch for them has more than once made a person who normally wouldn't rent to pets make an exception for me.
Also, a coworker of mine has a wonderful, sweet, well-adjusted family dog who happens to be a pitbull, who, a few weeks ago got loose somehow and ended up lost for a night. He was scared and hurt when he was found hiding behind a dumpster by a store. The kid taking the trash out approached him and he hunched down and growled, the kid didn't take the hint and grabbed at his collar, the dog growled at him and lunged away, so the kid called the cops, who grossly mishandled the situation. Instead of trying to calmly approach and assess the animal, with maybe one person, this poor dog, who was already injured and fearful, was cornered by 8 people, pepper-sprayed, bean-bagged, and tasered... and then, when they got hands on him he fought them (who could blame him?

) no one was actually harmed, no skin broken, but he was deemed vicious and slated to be put down the next morning. My co-worker wasn't allowed to go see him, and he and his family were in anguish. I told him to get statements from everyone in his neighborhood who knew them and also to insist that the dog be held for a period and then temperament tested by an outside trainer after the trauma of his capture had passed before a sentence could be carried out..
The outpouring of support from the neighborhood was awesome, thankfully, and he passed his temperament test with flying colors and was allowed to go back home to his family. But still... that could have gone sssssoooooooo badly!!!
Certain breeds or types of dog will always be judged more harshly due to look or reputation, and we need to safeguard them all we can so things like this don't happen or worse.
Re: beware of dog?
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:32 pm
by katm4110
Ok here's the sign. Went with Dutch Shepherd on duty because it slightly implies there is a bad ass dog here but is still cutesy enough with the fancy lettering and silhouette to look like one of those I love my dog signs. I still have to put another coat of sealer on and then ill have my husband drill some holes and ill hang them on or by the front door. Hopefully this will maybe prevent someone from being stupid.
Re: beware of dog?
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:01 pm
by felixone123
wow - great looking signs!!! I love the pic of the dutch in there too - great job!!
Re: beware of dog?
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:05 am
by leih merigian
Boy, that's one bad ass sign! No way they can miss it, either (looks on the largish side

)
Great job!
Re: beware of dog?
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:30 pm
by feraloup
Well done, Laura!

(I too, love modge-podge!) You might be able to market a side-business for yourself making custom signs for DS people! That turned out really well!

Re: beware of dog?
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:23 pm
by Dutchringgirl
Beautiful Sign !
Re: beware of dog?
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:29 pm
by Sugars Mom
Ya, thats a great sign!
Re: beware of dog?
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:18 am
by Schlussdibusti
I have "Posted - No Trespassing" signs.If they cross the property line and you feel threatened, Florida law permits to use deadly force. Comment of a local police officer" make sure they are dead and you have nobody claiming otherwise in court"

Re: beware of dog?
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:46 pm
by vneerland
Schlussdibusti wrote:Comment of a local police officer" make sure they are dead and you have nobody claiming otherwise in court"

Yeah..but I bet the attorney would bring up the fact that they found 6 bullets. In the deceased's back.

Re: beware of dog?
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:04 pm
by Marjolein
Christie M wrote:
We have "Dutch Shepherds on Premises" signs out, but mostly because I buy anything that says Dutch Shepherd on them.

I'm guilty too...
Laura, WOW, I LOVE that sign!!
Overhere, I'm not insured if I do NOT put up a sign warning for the dog and it bites... IOf someone is on my property uninvited and gets bitten, no problem for me, as long as the signs were visible.
I went with the "I can make it to the fence in 2.7 sec.....Can you? and, ofcourse, the dutch "ik waak hier" (I'm guarding this property) shield with a pic of Roeta, Dingo's ancestor, on it

Re: beware of dog?
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:52 am
by Sugars Mom
Marjolein wrote:
I went with the "I can make it to the fence in 2.7 sec.....Can you? and, ofcourse, the dutch "ik waak hier" (I'm guarding this property) shield with a pic of Roeta, Dingo's ancestor, on it

LOVE it!!!
Re: beware of dog?
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:56 am
by Schlussdibusti
Yeah..but I bet the attorney would bring up the fact that they found 6 bullets. In the deceased's back.

Who's talking about bullets? We are talking DS=Deadly Strike, aren't we?

Re: beware of dog?
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:44 am
by vneerland
Schlussdibusti wrote: Yeah..but I bet the attorney would bring up the fact that they found 6 bullets. In the deceased's back.

Who's talking about bullets? We are talking DS=Deadly Strike, aren't we?

Ah.

Gotcha. Multiple lacerations, then.

Re: beware of dog?
Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:48 pm
by bannerd
I do the "Laydown" Wait command. Actually I was doing this for five minutes everyday because I knew he would have went AWOL when Halloween came. Halloween came and the kids knocked, koda barked and waited the entire time as I handed out candy. Eventually he laid down and just watch as a handed candy to the kids. He was a good boy, fooled me because I didn't think he would let that one go.
Alone by himself.. he's a different story//

Re: beware of dog?
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:12 pm
by Geremy
a friedn of mine is making some signs - if you want with your own dog. you can send her pics from you dog(s) and tell her what kind of text do you want.
think she is shipping at the USA as well... or you do a centralized buying...
the green one:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 800&type=3
the yellow one:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 800&type=3
i buyed a sign for my dad with his dobermann
the pics before:
first one:
second one:
the sing:
i love her work!
Re: beware of dog?
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:16 pm
by alspyce
Beautiful indeed!
Re: beware of dog?
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:32 pm
by Geremy
in germany/austria it´s very "funny" if you have a sign outside wit htext like "beware of the dog - he is not social" or something else, you are responsible if something happens.
the reaseon ist, you have to cover your dog when the dog is not social. thats our law... so if your dog is not social to (unkown) persons, he is not allowed to be outside when you are not looking and cover the dog. when a housebreaker is "doing his job" and you dog bite him, you are full responsible... when i do a self-defence by myself it´s ok...
welcome to the "german law" :-/
Re: beware of dog?
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:26 pm
by Sugars Mom
Beautiful sign (and Dobe)!!
Re: beware of dog?
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:02 pm
by katm4110
From what I've been told the laws here in the US are pretty strict when it comes to aggressive dogs as well. Even though that woman was pushing my front door open if my dog would have bitten her it would have been my ass.
Beautiful Doberman!!!
Re: beware of dog?
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:08 pm
by Sugars Mom
I don't know what the laws are here about being responsible if you have a sign and a dog bites if someone is trespassing, but I do know that if a dog bites someone (postman, someone walking by or up to your house, etc) and they report it, the dog owner is required to post a "dangerous dog" sign. If the dog bites again (2 strike? 3 strike? Not sure...) they are supposed to be put down. But again, don't know how that relates to trespassing...in Canada.