Page 2 of 4
Re: Introducing Merlin, questions, and advice!
Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:33 pm
by Sugars Mom
Glad to hear he is doing better. I remember when Sugar got her bandage off after having the splint and bandage on for 6 or 7 weeks and her foot was very flat and looked like a duck foot. It eventually got pretty much back to normal over time.
By the way, I've heard petting a dog while fearful sends the message that that they are acting in a way we want and therefore encouraging that behaviour.
Re: Introducing Merlin, questions, and advice!
Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:33 pm
by CaroleBoaz
kchristy wrote:Thank you all for being so nice

Everyday his foot and leg gets better and better. I have noticed already that he is hardly limping at all (I will give him a little more time and if its not completely better I will get it x rayed). I never thought I would have to teach a pup to walk on grass, poor thing. Tonight we were outside running around in the yard and a dog down the road was barking, Merlin tucked tail and ran! He is getting more comfortable though, its just taking time. He ran onto the deck and just looked at us like, "Aren't you coming? Its going to eat us!" I called him and coaxed him into coming back and he sat real close, but was starting to observe the noises, instead of being so fearful. I just pet him and talked to him to let him know he was ok and that he was such a good boy. He is so beautiful! So happy to have him in our lives. I truely cried for days after Soba died, everyday I look at his grave, but now I feel peace knowing I can help out his brother
Merlin crawled up on the couch last night and fell asleep with my son, it was so sweet, I couldnt help but share. My son will be 5 in Jan and is very tall and slender. Merlin weights more than he does at 10 weeks, I believe he is going to be a very large dutchie.
What a sweet photo! I think all little puppies are afraid of barking dogs. One day I had my Malinois puppy with me on a walk and there was a scary dog. She slipped her collar and ran all the way home. I got home and she was sitting on the front porch waiting for me.
Re: Introducing Merlin, questions, and advice!
Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:04 pm
by kchristy
Wow, I guess I never really thought of it that way Sue. I was hoping it would send the que that I would be there to comfort him. Which I guess, may give him the impression to always run to me instead of standing his own ground. I'm sure confidence will come with age and as he starts to become more comfortable with his surroundings

Carole, I can just see the sweet little Malinois puppy running tail tucked

Re: Introducing Merlin, questions, and advice!
Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:25 am
by leih merigian
Sugars Mom wrote:By the way, I've heard petting a dog while fearful sends the message that that they are acting in a way we want and therefore encouraging that behaviour.
Good catch.
It's really not a good idea to comfort a fearful dog, or a dog who is fearful about a specific thing. Act like it's no big deal, as otherwise, you're basically telling the pup that it was right to be fearful in that situation.
When you start taking Merlin out more into the world, into new situations, just keep him moving along. Don't make him go up to things that spook him, but rather, get him doing something he likes to do to show him that it's simply irrelevant (tug a bit, something like that, that you've already taught him to enjoy). If he wants to check something out that's kind of scary to him, fine, but don't force it. The idea is more to just make new environments totally irrelevant.
Re: Introducing Merlin, questions, and advice!
Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:25 pm
by kchristy
Thanks for the info, I will definately treat the situation differently next time. This morning I was getting up for work (about 230 am so it was completely dark) and I took him outside. The wind was howling and I could tell from his movement that he was nervous when he heard a dog bark. So I took the advice and started tugging with him a little

A few mins later he heard something moving around in some wooded area near my house and he started to bark! His little ears and head went just as high as they could go, looking around, when he didnt hear anything else he went on about his business.

Re: Introducing Merlin, questions, and advice!
Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:25 pm
by GSDNanny
What a nice story with a very happy ending or should I say, 'beginning.'

Re: Introducing Merlin, questions, and advice!
Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:14 pm
by Marjolein
wow, nice story. I hope Merlin will do really well, and gets to use his paw normally. I have seen a dog rescued from a similar situation, just being crated all the time

She was rescued after 8 months... that was much harder than a pup. But even she could walk pretty well in a year, and even outrun hares

I hope little Merlin will do well!
Re: Introducing Merlin, questions, and advice!
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:01 pm
by mafiamom
omg, that last pic you posted is insanely cute!!! Merlin is very lucky to have you guys!! i wish you all the best with him =)
Re: Introducing Merlin, questions, and advice!
Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:34 am
by kchristy
Thank you all! His legs are so much better now, here is a recent picture of him. He was trying to keep us from putting up our pool stuff. Its taken with my cell phone so the color is a little off, but you will notice now his legs are pretty much straight. Before, even when laying down, his front left leg bended outward at the joint and his right front paw was flat like a bears claw. His ears are standing now too

He sure loves his nylabone and is running at a normal speed

He and my son and my sons chihuahua (Chewie) are inseparable

Re: Introducing Merlin, questions, and advice!
Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:19 am
by CaroleBoaz
Oh! He looks great!
Re: Introducing Merlin, questions, and advice!
Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:14 am
by Sugars Mom
OMG, soooo cute!! I just want to squeeze him!
Re: Introducing Merlin, questions, and advice!
Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:55 pm
by Schlussdibusti
Super cute!
Re: Introducing Merlin, questions, and advice!
Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:00 pm
by leih merigian
Wonderful news!
Re: Introducing Merlin, questions, and advice!
Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:56 pm
by Dutchringgirl
How adorable!!!
Re: Introducing Merlin, questions, and advice!
Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:59 pm
by kchristy

He is such a baby, he just loves to be held lol
Re: Introducing Merlin, questions, and advice!
Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:00 am
by Lauren
Look how much confidence he has gained since you got him!!! What a cutie~
Re: Introducing Merlin, questions, and advice!
Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:45 am
by kchristy
I know, its amazing how he has changed

Today he even barked at another dog!
Re: Introducing Merlin, questions, and advice!
Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:07 am
by Sugars Mom
Isn't it nice to celebrate the little things?

Re: Introducing Merlin, questions, and advice!
Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:04 pm
by kchristy
lol yes, who would have ever thought I would be excited my dog barked!!! My husband thinks I've gone nuts, which is quite possible! lol
Re: Introducing Merlin, questions, and advice!
Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:26 pm
by Choochi
Awww it's like your life is some sad Disney movie.. you are amazing for taking in this pup in Soba's honour and turning this tragedy into possibly some thing amazing.
Hopefully his leg is not an issue and will correct itself as he gets better food and exercise. He looks absolutely adorable with your son, what a sweetie.
I would ditch the Purina, it's a horrible food. Look into feeding raw, it does amazing things for dogs. Otherwise if that's some thing you don't feel comfortable with at this point, at least switch to a better kibble. Blue Buffalo and Wellness are two very good foods that are now readily available through PetsMart. Some other good brands would be Orijen, Acana, Taste of the Wild, Now or Go Naturals...those are the ones that come to mind but there are more.