Page 3 of 3

Re: Anyone interested in adopting my 7.5 month old female DS

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:08 pm
by bannerd
I would say give the DS-female a shot. I also disagree that a DS is not for everyone. This goes for all dogs, you need to prepare yourself because if you don't it will push you into getting rid of them or becoming a bad owner. All dogs have energy.. even the small ones. My family had a toy poodle.. more energy than my DS.. biting ankles.. shredding... chasing neighbors dogs and the barking. She's five years old now and she found her place around age two. German shepherds.. Belgian Mali, Labs, pitbulls... it's the nature of owning a dog, any dog.

The first dog I ever had was a Belgian Mali.. I was in the same boat as Carol.. I wasn't prepared for it at all. The dog was on crack and eventually after a mishap with people it wanted to kill everybody. Thought about putting her down but I couldn't do it.. ended up giving her to a farmer and she's happy.

We also have a Lab in our family.. Koda loves her to death. Eventually Koda cannot take the energy from the lab and he will lay down.. our lab just wants to play with koda every minute haha. Sadly she has hip dysplasia :cry:

Owning a dog is a huge responsibility, they chew.. pewp and pee in your house. Need shots, food.. hell it's like having a kid on fast forward. The first few years it's a crazy ride. Crate them when you're away and keep them inline when they're not crated. Go to tractor supply and buy HUGE cow bones, hoofs, tennis balls, kong balls and testicle skin. Toys are not even worth it imho! If you don't have time to walk your dog or do a little obedience then just throw him one of those. They last for hours and they burn crazy energy trying to figure it out. Better yet get the family involved!

Re: Anyone interested in adopting my 7.5 month old female DS

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:16 pm
by Lauren
Here are some photos of Tara that I am posting for Eric. She really is a beautiful girl.
IMG_3931.jpg
IMG_3931.jpg (61.88 KiB) Viewed 3181 times
IMG_3932.jpg
IMG_3932.jpg (79.93 KiB) Viewed 3181 times
IMG_3933.jpg
IMG_3933.jpg (80.21 KiB) Viewed 3181 times
and a puppy picture of her:
100_1682Tara.jpg
100_1682Tara.jpg (108.75 KiB) Viewed 3181 times

Re: Anyone interested in adopting my 7.5 month old female DS

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:31 pm
by CaroleBoaz
Those are beautiful photos! Sorry, I saw that last one and thought it was a rodent. Well, puppies always look funny. Doh!

Re: Anyone interested in adopting my 7.5 month old female DS

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:38 pm
by Jaz
Thank you so much, Lauren!
The puppy picture is to show how bad she looked when we got her. That pic is shortly after we picked her up. She looked like a mangy coyote pup.

Re: Anyone interested in adopting my 7.5 month old female DS

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:00 pm
by Dutchringgirl
This is where some people dont look a the group the dog is in, IE, herding, hunting, etc. The breeds we are talking mostley about are the working groups. I love the working dogs, but my life supports them. Again, I support non working dogs for many people. I know I keep bringing up Bassets, I use them mostley for example. My parents BH is so happy sleeping all day. If people looked at the job the breed they are interested in is supposed to do, then they will have more insight as to if this dog is for them. The basset is supposed to be carried out to the hunting field on horseback, put down, get the fox, picked up then go home and sleep the rest of the day.

The only other people I know of that have DS are police and protection training people.

Re: Anyone interested in adopting my 7.5 month old female DS

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:16 pm
by CaroleBoaz
Jaz wrote:Thank you so much, Lauren!
The puppy picture is to show how bad she looked when we got her. That pic is shortly after we picked her up. She looked like a mangy coyote pup.
Now I understand! What a difference. She is so pretty now. I love those markings on her face.

Re: Anyone interested in adopting my 7.5 month old female DS

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:17 pm
by Choochi
Dutchringgirl wrote:The basset is supposed to be carried out to the hunting field on horseback, put down, get the fox, picked up then go home and sleep the rest of the day.
LOL You call that a working dog??

.... or consider a retired racing greyhound, those can make fantastic laid back pets. Lots of options out there, even the mutt at a local shelter or rescue... bottom line is do your home work about what the dog is like and be very honest about how much time and care you can invest in the dog. Not, if I get a dog I will make time for it, make sure you're not imagining what you wish your life was like but actually evaluate what your life is like now and will be for at least the next 10 years.

Re: Anyone interested in adopting my 7.5 month old female DS

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:39 am
by vneerland
I will be the first one to say that everyone should be honest with themselves, about what they can give a dog.
With that being said: I got my first KNPV dog several decades ago, and boy, was I ever NOT ready or prepared. I grew into it, refused to give up, and the rest is history. I don't think that, at that time, I would have 'qualified' for any dog. I worked and/or studied all day and had only early mornings and after work to spend. No yard, just an appartment, with woods nearby though. I made it work, because I wanted that dog so bad and he lived a happy 16 years in my care. I had a steep learning curve though, for sure, and not everyone is as stubborn as I was (am) So yes, be honest with yourself and do the very best you can for the dog of your choice and chose wisely. I gave up a lot of things for my dog(s) No need to invite me for new years parties, I won't come since I will be with my dogs. No need to expect my house to be super clean and wonderfully furnished. The dogs live comfortably, and that includes the furniture (at times) No need to expect that manicured yard that I always wanted. The dogs will mow it down on the way from A to B, never fails. We have not even gone on vacations together in some 15 years. One will get to go, the other one stays to take care of the crew. I get a lot back from them and I would not have it any other way. But I can still look at others who do not have the burden of responsibiltiy for a pack of wild dogs ;) and muse how it would be to live like all the rest. Maybe with one smaller dog that I can take on a trip. Hmmmmmmmmmm :oops:

Re: Anyone interested in adopting my 7.5 month old female DS

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:22 am
by CaroleBoaz
^
So I'm
not the
only one.
:D

Re: Anyone interested in adopting my 7.5 month old female DS

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:48 pm
by Schlussdibusti
Judith, I love your post. :wtg:

Same here, no New Years Eve and 4th of July parties attended since 14 years, haven't been in my home country since 1997 to visit family because I didn't want to leave my dogs alone on another continent, no vacation unless we all go (drive)....

Re: Anyone interested in adopting my 7.5 month old female DS

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:45 pm
by kchristy
I love your post too. I had to go out of town for a week on job training and left Merlin with my in-laws. It was horrible. I missed him and Chewie so much. I won't be leaving them again, specially since Merlin didn't eat the whole 5 days I was gone. My mother in law was so scared he wasn't going to make it that she was waving raw meat in front of his face to try and get him to eat. He still wouldn't take it. The minute I got home he went straight to his food bowl and scarfed down all he could.

Re: Anyone interested in adopting my 7.5 month old female DS

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:07 pm
by Raven
I, too, haven't vacationed in years and have friends as well who don't because of beasts. Surprising how many people, including those with beasts, don't get that.

Re: Anyone interested in adopting my 7.5 month old female DS

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:33 pm
by GSDNanny
I'll ditto that, Judith. In years past when I was really active in DVG or AKC ob/rally/herding competition with the GSDs, I had a cargo van that myself and the dogs traveled in, ALL of the dogs, equipped with a bed for myself in fact. A lot of the seminars I attended were in rural communities a far distance from lodging so our group would just camp in our vehicles. Build a bonfire and cook out, pass a bottle, get up at the crack of dawn and head out to the training field. Those were the times, my friends!! Damn, I miss that. Anyway.

My hubby and family tolerate the dogs but don't "do" dogs per say. Leaving any of the big guys home was never an option because inevitably chaos would break out, most of the time with intention.

I am very fortunate though right now to have a close friend who is also my vet who has a large farm, 400 cows, dozen horses and just as many dogs/cats. So we trade off on caring for each other's pets when a rare occasion to go out of town presents itself for either of us. Works.

Re: Anyone interested in adopting my 7.5 month old female DS

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:51 pm
by CaroleBoaz
I guess I can't say I never go on vacation. I took the dogs to Texas for a nice beach vacation. But we were also there for an ATTS temperament test for Balto. They really enjoyed the beach. Balto was being a brat and chased every bird in sight. I'm glad it was off season. Ciana was a good girl and did not have to go to the vet for bleeding feet. Sorry, no Dutchies in this video. But with three dogs, there's not way I can do this again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzDzkH9AOOM

Re: Anyone interested in adopting my 7.5 month old female DS

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:11 am
by Raven
Carol--perfect music with the feet, the tails, the exploring, the energy of three dogs. Loved it.

Re: Anyone interested in adopting my 7.5 month old female DS

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:17 am
by Lauren
Hey Eric, this thread has kind of run away on you... :ds:

Have you had any luck finding Tara a home? All this talk about never being able to leave home for the next 15 years has me looking into boarding kennels to try out! Usually I just get a house sitter, but she is a push over! :dsrazz:

Re: Anyone interested in adopting my 7.5 month old female DS

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:35 am
by Schlussdibusti
nice beach video! :wtg: So Marco is not the only beach bum here.........

Any news on the adoption?

Re: Anyone interested in adopting my 7.5 month old female DS

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:25 am
by Dutchringgirl
Im afraid of house / dog sitters. I do feel safer boarding, until my parents can handle Sadie.