Page 1 of 1

Hello from Virgina Beach

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:05 am
by Mbach
Hello everyone, I recently found this forum while doing a little research about our 1 year old DS named Dolly. She's got quite the personality and although she's been a challenge, we're really happy to have her. She isn't colored or "brindled" I should say like most of the Dutches I see on here, but the breeder said she's a "fawn". Either way she's a pretty awesome looking dog. I look forward to reading more about this breed on the forum and learning what I can.

Thanks,
Matt
311624_210211282374390_100001565594486_576106_2125795399_n.jpg
311624_210211282374390_100001565594486_576106_2125795399_n.jpg (56.76 KiB) Viewed 3640 times

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:09 am
by leih merigian
Welcome, Matt and Dolly!

What kinds of plans do you have for her?

Nice pic!

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:17 am
by Mbach
Well, we invested in some really good training for her with a local trainer, so she has all the basics down. I really want to find something to give her more engagement. I run with her on occasion and walk her as often as possible, but I feel she needs some more. She REALLY enjoys chasing a red laser around! It's fun to watch.

So in short, she needs a hobby that's flexible enough and doesn't require too much space.

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:52 pm
by Schlussdibusti
Welcome :wave:

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:25 pm
by Sugars Mom
Welcome! It would be nice to see some more pics of Dolly, as your right, mostly brindle beast pics here.

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:26 am
by leih merigian
Mbach wrote:Well, we invested in some really good training for her with a local trainer, so she has all the basics down. I really want to find something to give her more engagement. I run with her on occasion and walk her as often as possible, but I feel she needs some more. She REALLY enjoys chasing a red laser around! It's fun to watch.

So in short, she needs a hobby that's flexible enough and doesn't require too much space.

Well, Matt, it seems to me that she would benefit from a lot more interaction from you. Take some classes with her. It doesn't matter what they are for...tricks classes, Rally obedience, freestyle obedience, K9 Nosework, etc. The content doesn't matter that much, as long as it interests you so you'll do your homework with Dolly. But, an occasional run and walks when you can manage to fit it into your schedule really isn't enough to mentally stimulate a DS, or any smart dog, for that matter.

You can do all kinds of training in your home; it doesn't take much space at all. And, I'd rather you get her fetching toys than chasing laser lights. DSs are prone to OCD kinds of behaviors, and chasing lights (lasers, flashlight beams, etc.) isn't a great thing to encourage, IMO.

Teach her to "find it," which is a great game you can play inside. Have her find a toy, then reward with tug or food when she finds it and brings it back to you. ETc etc etc.

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:08 am
by CaroleBoaz
I agree to stopping the laser pointer games. That's just going to bite you in the butt someday.

A low cost activity, that can be done anywhere, that dogs really love, is tracking! Here is a tracking club in your area. http://www.ttcva.org./index.html

Here is an AKC club in your area where you can learn more about Ob, Rally, and Agility. http://www.hrotc.org/
The nice thing about joining a club is that, after the initial requirements, you can become a member and enjoy member benefits.

I belong to a club in my area. Normally classes are $90, as a member I pay $25, I have a key to the building so I can use the agility equipment anytime there isn't an event going on. Plus, we get discounts on dog merchandise and dog food through an enterprising member.

If you like to train on your own, I always recommend this book for people looking for suggestions.

http://www.amazon.com/101-Dog-Tricks-Ac ... 992&sr=1-1

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:41 pm
by kchristy
Wow, she is beautiful :) Welcome

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:43 pm
by Dutchringgirl
Welcome, what a beautiful girl!

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:22 pm
by Raven
Welcome.

By all means, stay away from the laser light. The associations that they can get developed just from that stupid little pin of light is mind-boggling--and one big pain in the a** to counter-condition.

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:53 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome :)

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:15 am
by Mbach
Thanks everyone for the advice. I was totally un-aware of the issues associated with the laser. She likes the ball, but I find she loses interest in it pretty fast, so she mainly chases shadows and the laser when we get it out.

I'll check into those suggestions and see what we can get into here locally. We've been wanting to try something of that nature.

We've tried hiding treats around the house and stuff, but haven't really got her to catch on to the game well yet.

Any suggestions?

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:22 am
by Christie M
Searching can be an inherent behavior, or a taught one. When we formally start detection dogs, many times we will tie them (or have someone hold them) while we tease with food or a toy and pretend to hide it in a variety of locations within eyesight of the dog. Hiding it in one, but pretending for a few before and after. Then, when the dog is thoroughly frustrated, we release them (either by dropping the leash or having the handler follow quickly behind) while the dog checks all of the areas that they saw you pretend to hide in. BIG PLAY occurs when they find it. Once this is very established, you can use the same location, but tease with the toy/food and duck out or behind a door - hiding the object while out of sight and then allowing entry. Hopefully they will go into a familiar search pattern based on the repetitions that they saw you do.

From there, the game has lots of ways of evolving. But once they believe that you can disappear with a toy and they can find it if they trust you - the sky is the limit. My advise is work your hides from easy to hard. And don't interfere unless you really have to. This is a great independent working exercise that can build confidence a ton and engage the brain!

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:09 pm
by vneerland
Welcome Matt, Where did your pup come from? 8-)

I have used a laser light to direct a very prey driven dog, and taught some other very usefull interaction tricks with it. I love it, and have no negative fall out from it. But, with that being said, I train dogs for a living, and might be more equipped to recognize and address problem area's right away. I did want to say though, that laser light is not just pure evil, but caution is advised, yes.

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:40 pm
by Jan
Welcome. :dswink"

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:20 am
by Christie M
vneerland wrote:Welcome Matt, Where did your pup come from? 8-)

I have used a laser light to direct a very prey driven dog, and taught some other very usefull interaction tricks with it. I love it, and have no negative fall out from it. But, with that being said, I train dogs for a living, and might be more equipped to recognize and address problem area's right away. I did want to say though, that laser light is not just pure evil, but caution is advised, yes.
I used it for a Service dog that I trained. The lab (Iknow...I know) would retrieve whatever we pointed the laser at (obviously this was taught). This turned into the back patient being able to shop for herself for the first time in years. She would point to items on the shelf and the lab would hand it to her to put in the cart. It was very cool. OK, the milk carton incident wasn't......

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:50 am
by Mbach
We picked her up from a breeder of of WV, "Ultimate Working Dogs.com".

Thanks for the tips on the scent work. Im going to give that a try and see how she does.

Re: Hello from Virgina Beach

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:47 pm
by kchristy
Christie M wrote: I used it for a Service dog that I trained. The lab (Iknow...I know) would retrieve whatever we pointed the laser at (obviously this was taught). This turned into the back patient being able to shop for herself for the first time in years. She would point to items on the shelf and the lab would hand it to her to put in the cart. It was very cool. OK, the milk carton incident wasn't......
Awesome!