Page 1 of 1
Scared but smarter.
Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:46 pm
by Lauren
Well My father always said "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough." I learned an important lesson yesterday.
We often take Xena with us when we work. We are gardeners and there are many farms and homes where she is quite welcome. There are others where she stays in the car and naps. (I know we can't do this when it is warm out). We were wrapping up our day and getting ready to head home. WE were on a quiet little street in a neighborhood that only has about 7 houses.
SO I let Xena out to do her business off lead. stupid, stupid, stupid. She has always had a pretty good re-call as long as nothing REALLY exciting was going on. Well just then a jogger came up the road. She started barking and ran at him
She was NOT listening, leaping up on him (albeit playfully), thinking FUN FUN FUN!
The jogger was NOT thinking FUN.

I was freaking out! I was calling her and intermittently apologizing for my PUPPY. I could not catch her and he would not stop jogging. (I know that is his right, but she was still jumping on him and beginning to mouth his hands). Finally he stopped and she tried the flat ears "I am so cute" wiggle butt thing on him. He was mad. He just stood there looking straight ahead. As I approached she ran off ignoring me. The jogger never said a word.
I told her "down" and she did... and waited till I got her. Talk about SCARED! I could just see that whole thing going horribly wrong, Us being sued, our girl being Euthanized.
So, I guess it is time for a long line. My puppy has morphed into a teenager. Any tips on getting a whiplash solid recall?
Re: Scared but smarter.
Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:55 pm
by Dutchringgirl
Been there
Sadie is ALWAYS on a leash or long line. I take her out ( did this with Thalie too when she was younger) on a long line and always have something that she LOVES, treat, toy, what ever, I use a training jacket with pockets to hide the reward, Let her be normal, snif, walk around or what ever, then just do recall after recall, Call her name to get her attention, then the recall command, then tug to physically bring her back. If she dosnt come then tug harder and make her come back. As soon as she heads towards you you can "mark" it with a "yes" or what ever, then when she gets to you , big happy dance and reward. I did this soooo much.
Hope this helps
Re: Scared but smarter.
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:26 am
by leih merigian
Your dad cracks me up!
Good lesson learned relatively cheaply...
With the recalls, it's just lots and lots and LOTS of practice, and yes, on a long line. I don't pull on mine, tho.
Start with name recognition, around the house. Say her name, the second she looks at you, mark/reward. Take it outside, use it on your walks when she's not looking at you, gradually increasing the distraction level (e.g., don't try it when she's really interested in some new smell until you've worked up to that level of distraction). Gradually increase the distance. Vary the rewards...a game of tug with a favorite tug toy, good treats, etc. Get very happy/have a party for her being responsive, especially when you start adding in distance.
Use your "come" cue, too; use any combo of words (her name sometimes, "come" others, etc.) and just do it a lot. Whenever you're out walking, regardless of the leash length (6 ft vs 12 ft vs 30ft) do several of these per walk. Every day.
Responding to a recall correctly is one behavior I ALWAYS reward. It really pays off, too; you should see Geyser's recalls

.
Re: Scared but smarter.
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:03 am
by icvanstra
replied previously and it disappeared...
...
When in doubt use a leash. I will take Cino all kinds of places off leash and the moment I see an unknown I'm starting the recall.
there are plenty of times I have kicked myself in the rear just letting the dogs out of the truck to go the 10 feet to the fence gate. Squirrel, dog I didn't see, jogger I didn't notice ... and every time I kick myself because I know better.
Re: Scared but smarter.
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:32 am
by turnnburn52984
icvanstra wrote:replied previously and it disappeared...
...
When in doubt use a leash. I will take Cino all kinds of places off leash and the moment I see an unknown I'm starting the recall.
there are plenty of times I have kicked myself in the rear just letting the dogs out of the truck to go the 10 feet to the fence gate. Squirrel, dog I didn't see, jogger I didn't notice ... and every time I kick myself because I know better.
Oh gosh- me too! Tonight for example- let the dog out of the car to trot 15' to our front door. (Looked first- saw no one/ no dogs/ no nothing!) Koenig trots about 10' twords the door and BOLTS the other direction, back past the car.... damn squirrel....
Re: Scared but smarter.
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:59 pm
by Dutchringgirl
Been there with Sadie, let them out of the car, Like Kelly, mere feet from the front door, Sadie has a leash on, but ......Squirrel!!! Sadie runs after it, here I am recalling her, duh, she runs into the woods, Thalie is standing at the front door like, "you have got to be kidding" Knowing not to run after her, what do I do, run after her, she is having a ball, she is looking back like, Yeah, we are all chasing squirrels !!, here comes the street ! Oh CR&*@ !! Cross the street, she is slowing down so I try to step on the leash, I keep missing by inches, so I decide to do a superman move, Leap into the air and land on the leash. Got Her!
Re: Scared but smarter.
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:51 pm
by Sugars Mom
One of the border collies that Sugar plays with knows to freeze when he hears the word "car!". Thats a good one to teach!
Re: Scared but smarter.
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:39 pm
by CaroleBoaz
Boy, I can't remember the number of times my Laekenois puppy escaped my grasp in order to "greet" somebody walking down the street. One lady threatened me for having an "aggressive" dog. He was 8 months old at the the time. Once he ran in front of a car, I think he was hit, but it was dark out. Once somebody had been in my yard and left the gate open. I was alerted by my Malinois's alarm bark that Balto was across the street, again, trying to kiss somebody else. Seems like I just can't stop that boy from looking for affection. If you've ever met him at a dog show, you know what I mean.
My DS, he stays in the yard, but zooms around the perimeter as fast as he can. He sure likes to run!
Re: Scared but smarter.
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:40 pm
by bannerd
Dutch girl haha. I bought a dog whistle from Tractor Supply for 5$.. it's a high pitch noise and Kota comes right to me. Havn't ran into small animals yet though.. pretty sure with his prey drive he'll run.

Re: Scared but smarter.
Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:08 pm
by GSDNanny
Good advice here. Cant go wrong with a long line. I just drop it but stay within distance to snag it if need be. Better to be safe.
Oh and your dad's saying is my husband's fav. Our children were raised on that quote and now the grandkids are enduring it as well.

Re: Scared but smarter.
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:44 am
by Lauren
My long line is in the mail! Yep, my dad lives and teaches by that statement.... I'm getting tougher by the moment!
He is 82 now and recently got hit head on while riding his motorcycle.

The suburban was 5 ft in his lane.... but after one night in intensive care, he talked himself out of the hospital~ punctured lung, bleeding on the brain and a thumb that he set himself because the orthopedic took too long (he is was an orthopedic surgeon)...
He is tough....
Re: Scared but smarter.
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:06 am
by CaroleBoaz
GSDNanny wrote:Good advice here. Cant go wrong with a long line. I just drop it but stay within distance to snag it if need be. Better to be safe.
That's what I thought when I stopped at a truck stop on the way home from a weekend of dog shows in Michigan last summer. Boaz looked at the line on the ground, then looked at me, then headed out across a farmers field out of sight. Gave me a heart attack. Then he ran straight back to me and laughed in my face.
He's such a momma's boy.
Re: Scared but smarter.
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:15 am
by Dutchringgirl
Wow Carol, I would have had a heart attack too!!!!!
Re: Scared but smarter.
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:36 pm
by Lauren
Oh my gosh, Carol, that would have done me in!

Re: Scared but smarter.
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:07 pm
by CaroleBoaz
I just stood there with my mouth open. I knew there was no way of catching a speeding DS. So, I just waited. Sure enough, he just needed a little run. I'm SO glad he's a good dog.
Re: Scared but smarter.
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:25 pm
by GSDNanny
Mr. Boaz is definitely sharp as are most DS, not to mention fast as lightening! I know that after a long weekend at a show, you're tired and ready to get home, not prepared for a jaunt after a DS. Glad he is a Momma's boy!
With pups or new boarders in for training, I tie a long line to my belt loop and carry on with chores at the farm, training off and on throughout the day. That way they are always within reach and I dont have to worry where they are.