Meet Kobe

For our new members to introduce themselves
Kobe87
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I work for the USAF stationed at Langley, AFB, VA. I got my boy Kobe at 4 months from a breeder in Gulfport, MS. He is right around 70lbs now (12/16/11). We are very active, soccer, walking and play wrestling. Very lively temperament, sociable with dogs, but is very loyal to me. No formal training as of yet; he catches on rather quickly so I'm not too worried. I do want to put him through some protective training even though that is natural to him.

Meet Kobe

Post by Kobe87 »

I work for the USAF stationed at Langley, AFB, VA. I got my boy Kobe when he was 4 months. He was from a breeder out a Gulfport, Mississippi. He is right around 70lbs now (12/16/11). We do lots of activities, soccer, walks and play wrestle occassionaly. Very lively tempermant, Sociable with dogs ,but doesnt really care too much for anyone but me. No formal training as of yet he catches on rather quick so i'm not too worried. I want to put him through some protective training even though that is natural to him.
Attachments
kobe9months..jpg
kobe9months..jpg (50.53 KiB) Viewed 5516 times
kchristy
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)

Re: Meet Kobe

Post by kchristy »

So handsome!
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

So, Kobe67 (was that the number? :lol: )...what's your name? (you can create an automatic signature line for yourself in the user control panel)

Too bad you're all the way over on the coast...

So, why aren't you doing any training yet? These guys thrive on it, and they learn how to learn quicker when they're young...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Kobe87
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I work for the USAF stationed at Langley, AFB, VA. I got my boy Kobe at 4 months from a breeder in Gulfport, MS. He is right around 70lbs now (12/16/11). We are very active, soccer, walking and play wrestling. Very lively temperament, sociable with dogs, but is very loyal to me. No formal training as of yet; he catches on rather quickly so I'm not too worried. I do want to put him through some protective training even though that is natural to him.

Post by Kobe87 »

Well the formal training they offer at "Petco/Petsmart" is nothing he would benefit from. He is very smart, well disciplined but he will test me every once in a while. I dont want to take too much credit but he has picked up all the basic commands including sit/stay and will only break rarely. The type of training I want to put him in is protection and maybe sport/agility.

I am very surprised by this breed this is my first dog besides my husky when I was little. They are definitely true to character. I agree they do learn better when there young. His prey drive is very high and its funny he'll chase anything that is at his reach or can jump to catch.

My name is Jared I should probably put that in my signature line. The number is just my birth year "shhh".
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Welcome to the group, and thanks for a little more information. It always helps to know who we are talking to!

I think we all are amazed at our dog's ability to be a sponge. They learn as fast as you can teach! When you start teaching with some food (you may be already) you will see a great desire to offer up new behaviors instead of just complying with required ones. Its really cool to see a dog actually think.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Good to have you here Jared. Welcome and thank you for your service.
I read in your other post that you got Kobe from Mississippi, and I seem to remember that there was another dog from there on this list. For the life of me, I cannot remember who, but maybe there is a litter mate around already. Wouldn't that be cool?
What steered your choice for your first own dog towards a DS? Exposure in the military, I presume?
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome :dssmile:
Hillside
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My name is Corrie and I currently have a 4 year old Doberman girl named Saga.

Post by Hillside »

Have you been working his obedience out in public, around people? I would never take a class from one of the big box pet stores, but I take my Doberman to them all the time to work on her skills.
Corrie

Saga (The Doberman)
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Welcome! Kobe's a good-looking male, thick chest/neck, nice head.
I too agree that the big box pet stores are good for proofing a trained dog. I've never heard anything positive come from the training classes tho. It's the other dog owners, not necessarily the dogs, that you have to be aware of.
Keep us posted on how his training comes along.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Kobe87
Just Whelped

Post by Kobe87 »

Sorry haven't repled in a while . Appreciate the comments and suggestions.
I was wanting to get either GS , Belgian mallinois , but came across the DS breed.
Realized there not very popular and I wanted a high drive dog also we do have some
On my base but mostly mals/GS.

Yes I try to daily work on his skills in public. He does rather well for his age. It's when other
dogs are around he gets excited. I can tell him go get his ball or bone and he will go get it.

The only issue that Im having a problem is the play biting.. He whines just to play bite.
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

He is absolutely stunning. And the shine he has!

They can be mouthy dogs, so part of his training would include appropriate use of the gator teeth. My present rescued DS came to me when he was 1 1/2 years and along with a myriad of other "indiscretions" of his, he was a bad, bad, bad mouther. Although in a different way, even things that dangled, like plant vines, had to go in the mouth--he was like a perpetual toddler.

Best of luck in training!
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Husky Guide Expert
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am jake and i am from united states. I am Husky Dog Lover. I owned a huksy about 3 years ago. He is my best friend now and i a,m expert in how huksy behave in public and private, ther skin problem, grooming tips and their pray drive.

Post by Husky Guide Expert »

Siberian Huskies are dogs that have won the hearts of many pet owners. They are known for their striking looks and friendly personalities. Hunting has often been associated with them.

Huskies can make good hunting dogs with the proper training and socialization, but they must be correctly socialized and trained.

For More info visit https://www.geekhusky.com/is-husky-a-hunting-dog/