Page 1 of 1

Anxious

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:48 pm
by felixone123
Sometime tomorrow we are going to pick Odin up at the last stop on his journey to his forever home. It seems like forever already and we are anxious. I wish it was tomorrow already. So, as soon as we can, my husband or I will post pics :D

Re: Anxious

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:01 pm
by leih merigian
You're on the homestretch now! Kinda remimds me of the Hallmark commercial of the little girl consulting the Christmas ornament that has a countdown until Christmas :mrgreen: .

I hope you can switch from anxious to just incredibly eager :D , and that you can find something to distract yourselves in these last hours of waiting...

Re: Anxious

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:18 pm
by kchristy
Can't wait to see pictures! I bet every minute is passing by like its hours!

Re: Anxious

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:00 am
by Dutchringgirl
OOOHHHHHHHH cant wait to see pictures !!!! How exciting.

Re: Anxious

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:24 am
by felixone123
just got the call - picking him up 9-ish tomorrow morning. It's about an hour drive and I was told he is a "delightful boy". Cannot wait to meet him.

Re: Anxious

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:28 am
by kchristy
Its almost time!!!!

Re: Anxious

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:54 pm
by Dutchringgirl
I bet your on the road now !!!!!!

Re: Anxious

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:22 pm
by Marjolein
pictures! pictures! :D

Re: Anxious

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:02 pm
by alspyce
Can't wait to see him in his new home!! So happy you were able to take him into your family.

Re: Anxious

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:06 pm
by Lauren
:party1: You should have him by now!!!

Re: Anxious

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:24 pm
by GSDNanny
Well, it is 9:20 Central time here so you should have your boy by now. I am excited too for you.

When I was in GSD rescue years ago, I would always accentuate to folks to be patient as there is what I refer to as the honeymoon period, 2-3 weeks of adjustment before the dog's true 'self' is fully revealed. Just make sure he knows your boundaries or he will make his own. I am sure you know all of this already.

So wishing you great joy in your new companion dog, Odin.

Re: Anxious

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:50 pm
by felixone123
compared to my Dakota, he is a big boy and can easily boss me if I let him. In our house, there are fair but firm rules to follow that we established with Dakota and are teaching Odin now. We go through the door first, must sit or down when crate door gets opened, etc. Oh, and my husband already hand fed him, and I will hand feed the dinner. We will hand feed for the next 4 wks. So, far he is very gentle when doing this and when he earns a treat. I still have all my 10 fingers. :D

I do love the honeymoon phase, though. Perfect time to enforce the rules.

Oh, and he already we-weed on my new persian wool rug :( - I think he was just nervous from all the excitement today.

Re: Anxious

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:00 pm
by vneerland
Good...so your new persian rug is now inaugurated. The next deposit of urine won't be so offending. ;)
(remove the rug for now, maybe?)
Welcome home Odin.

Re: Anxious

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:31 pm
by felixone123
I actually laughed when he did that. It's no big deal, so the rug will stay. I have cats that vomit - a little urine is so much easier to clean up.

Have not figured out yet when he needs to go out to do his business. There are no signs yet from him, so I watch the clock and hopefully once he settles in, he will tell me.

Re: Anxious

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:38 am
by leih merigian
felixone123 wrote:Have not figured out yet when he needs to go out to do his business. There are no signs yet from him, so I watch the clock and hopefully once he settles in, he will tell me.
You've gotta treat them basically like you're starting from scratch, taking them out very regularly, before and after everything, etc. (Sounds like you're doing that if you're watching the clock...)

Good luck with the signals thing :mrgreen: ; my 18 month old is committed to using ESP :lol: . We've worked on using an actual signal (touch me with your nose), but she much prefers just to stare at me and try the mind meld thing. She'll only touch me with her nose if I'm being exceptionally obtuse :yernuts: .