Page 1 of 1
When things go bump.
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:22 am
by CaroleBoaz
I have been reading the history of the DS and translating the Jubilie book. I read someplace how the DS was used on farms, not just in the capacity of containing the sheep, but to bring cows in for milking, pull the milk cart, protect the smaller livestock, ducks and chickens (and children), and to alert when a stranger arrives on the farm.
I have found Boaz to be very helpful and proactive when things go "bump". My most recent example: I'm doing laundry and the vibration knocked a bowl from the top of the machine onto the floor. Boaz is the first (and only) dog rushing to the laundry room to see what the problem is. The two Belgians, just stand and bark.
I was reading the Belgian breed standard and it does say that "The Belgian Shepherd is a watchful and active dog, bursting with energy, and always ready to leap into action." I guess my Belgians got the "Leaping" part right. But the DS took action.
From the FCI DS breed standard: "Very loyal and reliable, always alert, watchful, active, independent, with persistence, intelligence, prepared to be obedient and gifted with the true shepherding temperament."
Re: When things go bump.
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:38 am
by Lauren
HEY! That is the book I read before I got my Sheppy!

Re: When things go bump.
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:40 am
by chimere
Re: When things go bump.
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:34 am
by Dutchringgirl
Thats funny, but true!!! What I want to know is where the bite work came in. If they were work dogs and protectors, is the bite work just a projection of that since we dont need them , at least in US for herding?
Sadie is the same, any noise and she is right awake, standing at attention, ears perked, barking in every direction, Thalie usually just sleeps. If Thalie does bark, I know there is real trouble.
Re: When things go bump.
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:01 am
by chimere
I think it's as heavy horse (traction)
utility lost it must convertire
sport with teeth was ideal for a sheepdog and guard defense
*******************************
je penses que c'est comme le cheval lourd (de traction / trait)
l'utilité perdu il faut le convertire
le sport avec mordant était donc idéal pour un chien de berger de garde et défense
Re: When things go bump.
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:53 am
by CaroleBoaz
Chimere, is correct.
A big part of the DS work was moving the sheep back and forth from moors to barn every day. The barn was a collection point for manure. The sheep would fill it every night, and straw was put on top. This was continued until the sheep had "their backs to the ceiling", walking on a pile of manure. And then the manure was used in the crop fields.
With the industrial age, and tractors, and other sources of fertilizer, the number of sheep dwindled, and the DS lost its job.
Being a natural protector, the police work was a very natural new job.
I'll be translating the rest of the book all winter long.

Re: When things go bump.
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:02 am
by Raven
I think I read on Judith's site a long time ago that a farmer once gave a Dutch police chief a DS off his farm, calling the dog too stupid, and the chief proceeded to train the dog, making him/her the first DS police dog.
Re: When things go bump.
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:15 pm
by Dutchringgirl
Raven wrote:I think I read on Judith's site a long time ago that a farmer once gave a Dutch police chief a DS off his farm, calling the dog too stupid, and the chief proceeded to train the dog, making him/her the first DS police dog.
That is soooo neat !!!!!!!
Re: When things go bump.
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:28 pm
by chimere
Raven wrote:I think I read on Judith's site a long time ago that a farmer once gave a Dutch police chief a DS off his farm, calling the dog too stupid, and the chief proceeded to train the dog, making him/her the first DS police dog.
nice story / jolie histoire
Re: When things go bump.
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:46 pm
by GSDNanny
Carol, it would be wonderful if you would kindly share some of your translation of the book on here as you proceed; I know I would really enjoy reading more!!!

Re: When things go bump.
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:48 pm
by leih merigian
GSDNanny wrote:Carol, it would be wonderful if you would kindly share some of your translation of the book on here as you proceed; I know I would really enjoy reading more!!!

Ditto!

Re: When things go bump.
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:54 pm
by CaroleBoaz
GSDNanny wrote:Carol, it would be wonderful if you would kindly share some of your translation of the book on here as you proceed; I know I would really enjoy reading more!!!

I thought about that, but I think it is a copyright infringement to post an exact translation. I'd be happy to post bits as I go.
Re: When things go bump.
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:56 pm
by GSDNanny
Yes, that was what I was hoping!
Re: When things go bump.
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:59 pm
by Dutchringgirl
I was hoping too!!!! I think as long as you post where you got the information from and not say its your own it would be fine to post it here. If not Ill come bail you out. :dswink"
Re: When things go bump.
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:31 pm
by CaroleBoaz
Dutchringgirl wrote:If not Ill come bail you out. :dswink"
I'm going to hold you to that.

Re: When things go bump.
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:09 pm
by Dutchringgirl
CaroleBoaz wrote:Dutchringgirl wrote:If not Ill come bail you out. :dswink"
I'm going to hold you to that.

Id be right there helping a fellow Dutchie owner, Id bring Thalie and Sadie for back up.

Re: When things go bump.
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:35 pm
by Schlussdibusti
That's the spirit!

Re: When things go bump.
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:56 pm
by Marjolein
CaroleBoaz wrote:Dutchringgirl wrote:If not Ill come bail you out. :dswink"
I'm going to hold you to that.

don't worry too much, any serious interest in the breed will be highly apreciated I suppose, and the NHC (breed club and publisher of the book) has never been to strict with any of it's regulations *ugh* so I guess they won't this time either. Sadly enough, none of them will probabely ever have an interest in this forum, so hey, I might even help out and translate some stuff along with you
