Page 1 of 1

Stranger aggression

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:37 pm
by kchristy
Lisa had made a comment in reference to a pit she had where a friend told her "all dogs love me" when the dog wasn't acting to comfortable with the friend. It made me think of what happened to me yesterday.

I came home from work and was just getting out of my vehicle when a man from the town I live in came pulling up behind me. I work in corrections and my husband is a police officer, so we never know whats going to show up at our door. Point of the story, Merlin was outside in the backyard and freaked out completely about this guy coming close to me. He starts walking toward him saying, "oh its okay doggie, Im not going to hurt her" Merlin at this point was so angry, I had never seen him act like this and he has been around alot of strangers. Of course, this means something, but anyway I tell the man he isn't good with strangers and its probably best that he not pet him. The man gives me the "oh all dogs like me" speal before he finally decides maybe he shouldn't pet him. The guy had lost his dog and was hoping that we had seen him. I really thought that Merlin was going to come over the fence and its not the first time this guy has been in our yard and Merlin act that way. I was just wondering if I should sooth Merlin when he acts this way to let him know that I am ok with the person or what? I love the fact that Merlin is being protective, but I also don't want him jumping the fence and attacking someone either. Also, I don't want him to be so ok with the person that Merlin thinks he should be there. Any ideas? I really don't want to confuse him by telling him no, because I don't want him comfortable around everyone. Hope this makes sense! :huh:

Re: Stranger aggression

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:55 pm
by icvanstra
not an expert... but I pretend to be one online... :hic:

Soothing the dog while it is doing something like that will reinforce the action.

Re: Stranger aggression

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:27 pm
by kchristy
See thats kinda what I was afraid of, so I guess I will just try to work on obedience more and just teach him a real good "stay" he already has "sit" down really well so maybe both of them together would keep him quiet. Although, it is nice to see the persons face once they see this dog is serious! :eek:

Re: Stranger aggression

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:02 pm
by Schlussdibusti
I learned to trust the judgement of my dogs in regards to people

Re: Stranger aggression

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:06 pm
by icvanstra
Schlussdibusti wrote:I learned to trust the judgement of my dogs in regards to people
Ditto!

Re: Stranger aggression

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:48 pm
by Marjolein
mmmh, if this person is not invited in, Merlin is just doing his job, right? I once saw on TV that if you want to calm your dog down in a situation like that, but still be protective, you have to let him know YOU are in control of the situation, and can handle it, for now. So you sort of thank/reward Merlin for warning you, and you tell him to stay alert but you will now handle the situation, he can now relax untill something might happen. And by "telling him" it is not literally, so you have to work on body language, confindence etc.

This way you let him know he can still be protective, and you appreciate his judgement. Punishing or soothing would give a totally wrong message. Anyway, it worked pretty good for me. Dingo especially goes ballistic if someone knocks on our door, I tell him, "ok, I got it" in a very friendly but certain voice. Than I go to the door first, he get's to be there but behind me. If it is a bad person, he will let me know and won't let them take a step without watching every move... :dsangry: And if they are friendly he takes advantage and makes them pet him all the time :dssmile:

Re: Stranger aggression

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:28 pm
by kchristy
Thanks for the advice :) I definately trust his judgement and I want him to be protective. I will work with him on the "Ive got it." Im not upset about him or disappointed in him in anyway what so ever, I just want him to know he can't eat the throats out of every person that comes to our house, even if I would like him to :) I was glad to see his reaction actually, just wondering how to manage it (don't want to say control it lol don't think thats possible) :dsangry:

Re: Stranger aggression

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:27 pm
by bannerd
That's just the nature of the dog(any dog really :P), they're very alert about their property.. but you need to be in control. Koda barks like crazy when people go by but "Quiet or NO!" and he shuts right up. You need a trigger that tells him "this is safe". It happens fast so you need to be on top of it. I literally watch a guy coming down my drive way to sell jesus and koda was totally fine with him coming up to us. He's use to that "Hiii cuuutie!!!!" and attention stuff. This guy stopped half way and then had the fear of death. Koda caught that instantly and I did as well.. before he could get a peep out I said SSHHHHHH!(No works to lol) and he cried and that was that. It takes a lot of correction and more so socializing. It's hard to do on your own turf but you need to let the dogs know you're the top dog.

Re: Stranger aggression

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:54 pm
by Dutchringgirl
icvanstra wrote:not an expert... but I pretend to be one online... :hic:
:lol: :lol: :lol: aw c'mon, you have given some great advice.

Soothing the dog while it is doing something like that will reinforce the action.[/quote]

see, some good advice here. Very true, dont tell Merling its okay, dogs cant speak our language ( for the most part) so he just hears your soothing tone so he thinks how he is acting is good.

Re: Stranger aggression

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:02 pm
by Dutchringgirl
I let Sadie bark a few times so she knows its okay to do her job, but after a bit its " QUIET" and she gets it.

I love Ring Sport because the situations we teach our dog can be useful in real life, one of my favorites that could come in handy is the Defense of Handler. The dogs walks at a heal up to the decoy, at "hello " the dog sits, when we say "goodby" its the dogs cue to walk in front of us to the right side and walk backwards as we walk forward, the decoy is walking behind us, or where ever at upper levels. The dog can bark but CANOT leave us ( we hope) until there is an AUDIBLE hit, then its bite time ! I like this because the dog knows to watch , Like Merlin is doing, but cant bite until someone attacks us.

When the kids were little, I was walking them in a park and a strange guy in a blue van came up and said " can I give your dog a treat?" I said "sure if you want your hand torn of ! " well, he left.

If I am uncomfortable with someone I do tell them that they ARE protection dogs and to NOT go near them.


Molly, my Pitt, would give little nips if she didnt like you. she didnt like my friend who "all dogs loved"

Re: Stranger aggression

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:16 pm
by Marjolein
Dutchringgirl wrote:
When the kids were little, I was walking them in a park and a strange guy in a blue van came up and said " can I give your dog a treat?" I said "sure if you want your hand torn of ! " well, he left.
:lol: :lol:

Re: Stranger aggression

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:04 am
by kchristy
Thank you all for the very good advice and great stories. I will work more with him on quiet and shhh. I took him over to my in-laws tonight for a good session of socialization. He is laying passed out in the floor now, sweet little monster :dsrazz:

Re: Stranger aggression

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:35 am
by Dutchringgirl
kchristy wrote:, sweet little monster :dsrazz:
Thats what they want us to think :g_wink:

Re: Stranger aggression

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:54 am
by wahinelf
Ellie only responds that way to large men that are acting weird - you know the teasing the dog act that men do. It really riles her up. I usually just have her run through her commands and focus on me. Its hard to get teasing man away...its like they enjoy provoking dogs.