Page 1 of 2
Pi being Pi
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:29 am
by dutchpii
Sharing some pictures of Pi with you all... I found Pi on Craigslist listed for $60 bucks. I saw him and said, "oh geez, he looks like a Dutch Shep!". Went to see him and he came running out of the house and laid down at my feet. His owners were leaving town in a hurry and I ended up giving them $40 for him and got a bag of Dog food too. Little did they know I would have paid more! He's awesome!
Re: Pi being Pi
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:57 am
by Dutchringgirl
leaving town in a hurry??? Glad you got him though! Who knows what would have happened.
Re: Pi being Pi
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:00 pm
by Christie M
Dutchringgirl wrote:leaving town in a hurry??? Glad you got him though! Who knows what would have happened.
Indeed. He is a very lucky guy that you were the one who responded!
Any big training plans? Or is he simply working out to be an awesome companion?
Re: Pi being Pi
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:33 pm
by Sugars Mom
Wow! Nice looking dog...do you know how old he is?
Re: Pi being Pi
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:17 pm
by alspyce
Nice save!
Re: Pi being Pi
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:43 pm
by Marjolein
Handsome dog!
Re: Pi being Pi
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:31 pm
by MinaHerdershonden
Theres a little female dog at my shelter OCAS (orange county animal servecises NC) Named cookie who looks just like this dog only has the darker coloring of my dutch, I would swear shes a pit mix dutch shep cross, shes short and rounded but her tummy and coloring and the fur texture all say dutch and she has the dutchie head (not the square pit head at all) and the perfect dutch ears, theu just dont always like to stand up! Shes still adoptable if anyones interested, super sweet and pretty calm, ok well calmer them my 10 month old dutch lmao, shes about two years old i think.
Re: Pi being Pi
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:32 am
by dutchpii
They told me he was about 10 months old and you're right, he does have more of the square head, but it seems to be thinning a bit. We'll see in a few more months how he grows out.
As far as training goes, I'm still working on his obedience because it seems he's had no training at all...
He's grown incredibly attached to me and crawls up in bed with me each night. For me that's odd, because I generally don't let the dogs on the furniture! I have to control myself because I really do like to give him a lot of affection (earned or not!).
Re: Pi being Pi
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:41 am
by dutchpii
Also please note that the bottom two pictures are from his Craigslist Ad. His ears are way down and his eyes look very timid and frightened. He also had no collar or leash. Typically, when you're giving away your only dog, you give the collar and leash away (if you have one). They did not... but I had bought a new collar and leash on the way over to get him.
Re: Pi being Pi
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:46 am
by MinaHerdershonden
Yeah his heads actually alot like my pure dutchie head xD looks square but face to face its just round lol, i was saying normally pit mixes will have a boxie head and i see ALOT of them, and while cookies body is short and smaller like a pit, the face and coat and color ( while yes pits are brindle both cookie and pi obviously have dutch in my opinion, to me the brindle is different and wuth pits and most mixes you see the super short coat and this dog has the ruffed dutchie coat and markings) the muzzle says it all and i get tons of dog kisses at the shelter lol i know a dutch nose from a staffie or pit nose!
Re: Pi being Pi
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:48 am
by MinaHerdershonden
His ears while not as pointy as they could be are very dutchie,, the picture of him laying at the door to me the fur on his tail and everything the dutch shows more then whatever the mix is
Re: Pi being Pi
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:10 am
by dutchpii
His ears point up when he's interested in something... like a treat! You can also see some of the white hairs on his chin. Isn't he a cutie Pi! Haha

Re: Pi being Pi
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:05 am
by MinaHerdershonden
Very cute!!! My dog has to be full blooded and I found her at the shelter I volunteer at, she had been left in the drop box as a stay and was there over a month with no one coming to look for her so I snatched her up!, my neighbor with an inported belgian mal was even like OMG IS THAT A DUTCH SHES SO BEAUTIFUL! and we had a nerd fest lol so while mixes are rare you cant hjink they arent out there ;D if I could find a pure blooded puppy in a shelter with no one looking for her!
Re: Pi being Pi
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:14 pm
by Christie M
MinaHerdershonden wrote:Very cute!!! My dog has to be full blooded and I found her at the shelter I volunteer at, she had been left in the drop box as a stay and was there over a month with no one coming to look for her so I snatched her up!, my neighbor with an inported belgian mal was even like OMG IS THAT A DUTCH SHES SO BEAUTIFUL! and we had a nerd fest lol so while mixes are rare you cant hjink they arent out there ;D if I could find a pure blooded puppy in a shelter with no one looking for her!
Unfortunately, there have been quite a few Dutch Shepherds in shelters in NC. So I imagine mixes will show up there as well. In that region (NC, GA, FL) they are no longer an uncommon breed and I am sure they are being aloud to breed like any other backyard dog
Anna - we would love to see pictures of your kid as well!
Re: Pi being Pi
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:08 pm
by MinaHerdershonden
Sure thing! Ill have to figure out what i can get to upload on this stupid thing that even my phone takes pictures to big for lmao
Re: Pi being Pi
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:55 pm
by MinaHerdershonden
This is my girl Mina from the shelter ;D we figure she was about 6 months at the shelter and we got her at 7mths, shes now about 9-10 mths, some of these pictures are somewhat younger
Mina in black and white lol
GOLD
Using Midnight the kitty cat as a pillow
She loveeesss rope toys
HAH! I so funny I curl up like ze kittehz!
Helping do chores!
And funny sleeping poses
Singing in the car
Hope these made you laugh as much as they make me!!
Re: Pi being Pi
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:19 pm
by MinaHerdershonden
BTW this is the girl Cookie who I believe is a dutchie mix and is dark like my Mina,,, And keep in mind I know she has pit like features but I look at pits of all kinds everyday and she just has a dutch head and color pattern and fur texture! xD super sweet dog!
Wish her luck in getting adopted soon!! Puppy seasons growing near!!
Re: Pi being Pi
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:27 pm
by Sugars Mom
Adorable pics of Mina! Thanks for sharing.
And yes, wishing luck for Cookie to get adopted.
Re: Pi being Pi
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:29 pm
by felixone123
Mina is adorable!! Perhaps Mina needs a sister?..........
Re: Pi being Pi
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:59 pm
by MinaHerdershonden
Hahaha! Yeah tell my mom that xD i wish, actually theres a blue tick coonhound we would take in a heart beat but our house just isnt big enough for more then one dog and our three cats! And yeah shes great but boy does she keep us busy, im lucky that im as active as she is but i fear for my family once i go to college in the fall xD