Page 1 of 2

Get them Dingo, it's their fault!

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:08 pm
by Marjolein
You guys are so lucky Dingo cannot swimm that far... If he ever finds out you guys put me up to this...

Today we went to the woods/swamp. (see http://www.dutchshepherdforum.com/viewt ... =14&t=1542)
When we drove back this BAD smell was drifting under my nose... it came from behind me... it was wet-dog-smell. It made me think of those silly Americans that wash their dogs regularly and I found myself doubting my own beliefs that this is nonsense.
I figured it had been a while anyway, so maybe I should wash them again. I also had a brilliant idea, which I have to admit was put in my brain by Cesar Millan. There. I said it. He does have some good ideas I never came up with before. Darn it.
Anyway, I figured after the walk they were tired, and if I came home I was going to play in the yard untill they , well Dingo, were SO tired, they were not able to put up much of a fight, like CM always does, tire them out first.
Now Ivil is not a problem, she accepts me as a leader, and let's me shower her, no problem. She gives you the "I do NOT like this HELP me" look, but that's it.
Dingo is another story, the few times I washed him I either had to hang him by the choke collar so I didn't get bit, or he was SO pissed he would scratch me all over. Johan always came up after 10 min. to check if I was still ok. That would make things worse and he would freak out again
This time tho, I was very confident since he has gotton older, I've learned a lot, AND I had worn him out TOTALLY :D
I brought him upstairs, on small choke leash just in case, and lead him into the bathroom :shock: he just followed me and walked in
Dingo 0 - Marjolein 1
I put on the water and took af my socks and jeans, lead him into the shower slowly, had to do this 3 times because he was smart enough not to go in all the way first. Anyway, 3rd time he just walked in and all I did was block his way out, he had no choice but to stay there. Picked up the showerhead and got him wet, not a growl nothing! :orange: Yay!
I'm so proud I finally worked this out, and have won our last standing battle! All I had to do, was exhaust him, I'm finally smarter than this brindle dude 8-)

Here's proof: (no action pics, camera is not waterproof haha)

Image
He was really insulted I believe, haha, look at his face! Got you there Dingo! :twisted: :lol:
(didn't do his head and neck, didn't want to push things to far this time and make it a bad experience again)

Washed Ivil after that, piece of cake :D Gave them a new bone as reward 8-)

Sorry for the long story :oops: It was quite a thing to wash him without him getting SO freaked out, with this green glanse in the eyes that says "you are DEAD MEAT". Had to tell you guys :D

Re: Get them Dingo, it's their fault!

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:39 pm
by alspyce
:lol: :lol: I bet they both smell very nice now. Congratulations!!

Re: Get them Dingo, it's their fault!

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:29 pm
by alexis
and so fluffy and shiny!

Re: Get them Dingo, it's their fault!

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:25 pm
by lisaanne
Love his ultra-fluffed out tail, lol Poor baby boy! lol

Re: Get them Dingo, it's their fault!

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:26 pm
by GSDNanny
Oh my, he does not look like a happy camper right now. :evil:

Re: Get them Dingo, it's their fault!

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:29 pm
by Sugars Mom
Ya, to you and Dingo!

lol, I have to laugh because we just washed Sugar too, after being at doggie daycare for the weekend (she always comes back FILTHY!) and Dingo has that fluffy just washed look that Sugar just had.

Bet he is soooo soft now, eh? See, showers aren't so bad!

Re: Get them Dingo, it's their fault!

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:04 pm
by Dutchringgirl
HAHAHAHAHAHA I love his face!!!!! Look at the fluffy tail! Dont worry Dingo, Thalie only gets a bath about once a year too.

Re: Get them Dingo, it's their fault!

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:31 am
by felixone123
that face says it all :x - I will get you back for this Mama!! :lol: :lol:
Perhaps he didn't like the way he was smelling either and figured it was time...

He does look very fluffy!!

So, how long did it take in total to tire him out?

Re: Get them Dingo, it's their fault!

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:05 am
by Lauren
Oh poor Dingo. He just got smelling good and nasty and BAM! Momma comes up with the tire him out idea...

Don't worry, you will smell good again in no time! :cool:

Re: Get them Dingo, it's their fault!

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:33 am
by Schlussdibusti
Ah, look at that shiny dude! Great job! And CM has some good ideas. Exercise/discipline/affection - in that order - is a great tool.

Re: Get them Dingo, it's their fault!

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:36 am
by Christie M
Schlussdibusti wrote:Ah, look at that shiny dude! Great job! And CM has some good ideas. Exercise/discipline/affection - in that order - is a great tool.
Oh sob ImageI had to go back and reread. I thought for a minute I was CM (Christie Meyer) and wondered when I gave such great advise.

Re: Get them Dingo, it's their fault!

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:47 pm
by felixone123
Christie M wrote:
Schlussdibusti wrote:Ah, look at that shiny dude! Great job! And CM has some good ideas. Exercise/discipline/affection - in that order - is a great tool.
Oh sob ImageI had to go back and reread. I thought for a minute I was CM (Christie Meyer) and wondered when I gave such great advise.

:lol: :lol: too funny!! You are CM and I think you have great advice. :)

Re: Get them Dingo, it's their fault!

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:29 pm
by Sugars Mom
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I'm laughing so hard I am having trouble typing!

You give great advice Christie, along with Ceaser!

Re: Get them Dingo, it's their fault!

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:59 pm
by Marjolein
felixone123 wrote:that face says it all :x - I will get you back for this Mama!! :lol: :lol:
He did... later that night as I passed him in the kitchen he growled... gave him "the look" and he turned away...growling ofcourse, has to have the last word... :evil: Never ends with this guy...
felixone123 wrote:So, how long did it take in total to tire him out?
an hour walk in the swamp area WITH Ivil (she creates more movement :mrgreen: ), oh, don't forget the ride there, thay always go nuts and shake and all that, and at home let them play with footballs in the yard, I threw them,and they were chasing them, and each other etc fot another half an hour. Dingo is 8 and is not as fit (has a "back hernia"??) as he used to be, so he was pretty tired after that.
Christie M wrote: Oh sob ImageI had to go back and reread. I thought for a minute I was CM (Christie Meyer) and wondered when I gave such great advise.

whaha :lol: :lol: :lol: you've given great advice too, just not on showering Dingo :mrgreen:

Re: Get them Dingo, it's their fault!

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:50 pm
by kchristy
lol, I love Dingos face in that pic!!!!! If looks could kill! :o

Re: Get them Dingo, it's their fault!

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:28 pm
by vneerland
Standing ovation!! You rock girl! (admit it, doesn't it smell a lot better?)
After the fluff lays down, he will also shine even more than usual. It does not need to be done all the time, but it's a good feeling that you can if you want/have to.
I have done some K9's pre sale and it is always an adventure, but mostly, we both survive without the Emergency room. I do not bathe fresh off the plane dogs though. Hose, maybe, but not bathe. :mrgreen:

Re: Get them Dingo, it's their fault!

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:16 pm
by Marjolein
actually, I haven't noticed a change in shine (yet) :roll: or smell. His fur is softer, yes, and I'm pretty sure he will smell better if he gets wet ;) Anyway, the sand he left behind in the shower was pretty convincing :mrgreen: We had a beach in our bathroom 8-)
To me the main joy of it is that I finally outsmarted him, whaha :twisted: :lol:

Re: Get them Dingo, it's their fault!

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:09 pm
by vneerland
Marjolein wrote:actually, I haven't noticed a change in shine (yet) :roll: or smell.
What on earth did you bathe him with then, dish soap? :P
His fur is softer, yes, and I'm pretty sure he will smell better if he gets wet ;) Anyway, the sand he left behind in the shower was pretty convincing :mrgreen: We had a beach in our bathroom 8-)
To me the main joy of it is that I finally outsmarted him, whaha :twisted: :lol:
I remember what a KNPV trainer once told me. Bathed a dog, despite himself, :shock: and was utterly shocked by what washed out of the dog, mainly the black dirt that came out of that tail. I doubt he made a habit of bathing his dogs, but he had never expected to much filth. I know where he was coming from. Imported KNPV dogs can be just...well...... :eew:

Re: Get them Dingo, it's their fault!

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:37 pm
by Marjolein
vneerland wrote: What on earth did you bathe him with then, dish soap? :P
nope, used doggie shampoo with...Mink oil (?? ehm Nerts olie) but he was already pretty shiny before I bathed him 8-) :P

Re: Get them Dingo, it's their fault!

Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:56 pm
by mariposa34
OMG that made me laugh as I was just telling my husband "How the heck am I going to bathe Raven when it's time....without me drowning!" LOL! My westie Terra has to be bathed often because of a yeast infection......yeah ewww I know but she hops right in the tub with no problem and then we dry and have treats and lots of "Your such a pretty good girl!" maybe I will have Raven watch me give Terra her baths....but I also believe in only giving baths (to dogs, I take one daily heehee) when it's absolutely necessary and I'm american :P LOL!