Page 1 of 1
Hello
Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:12 pm
by DSGirl
Hi,
I am new to the forum. I have a Dutch Shepherd pup named Gage. He is my second Dutchie. He will be 5 months old on May 3, and we have started to train in french ring sport. He has a lot of promise, and is doing very well. I am a dog trainer and groomer, and have a small business out of my home, where I am a single mom of 2 wonderful little girls. We have 8 dogs total in the house and some reptiles, fish, and 1 cat. Gage is my only Dutch Shepherd in the group. My 1st Dutchie was a great boy, and I learned a lot from him, and he is the reason I switched from German Shepherds to Dutch Shepherds. Sadly when I seperated from my now ex-husband, he walked out leaving my kids and I with nothing. And it was either feed my kids or the dogs, and so I returned my GSDs to the breeders and my Dutchie Kimbo went back to the guy I bought him from. I know they are all in good homes, but I still miss them everyday. But a year and a half later I am getting back on my feet and finally able to afford to have another Dutch Shepherd. And I wouldn't trade him for anything. Here is a picture of Gage at 4 months old.
Thanks for reading:)
Geneva
Re: Hello
Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:19 pm
by CaroleBoaz
Welcome! Cute puppy.

Re: Hello
Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:59 pm
by felixone123
Welcome and Gage is a good looking boy! Wow - 8 dogs - I have 2 - 1 dutch and 1 mix mutt and they can be a handful most days.
Re: Hello
Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:14 am
by wahinelf
Great shot - what a good looking pup! Welcome!!
Re: Hello
Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:04 am
by Sugars Mom
Welcome! It would be cool to see a group pic of your pack

Re: Hello
Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:52 pm
by alspyce
Welcome! Handsome boy!
Re: Hello
Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:16 pm
by k9katet
Nice looking pup! What breeder is he from? Who are his parents?
Re: Hello
Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:48 pm
by DSGirl
Thanks:) He is a fun boy. He is from a guy down in Houston TX. I don't know if the guy is truely a breeder or if he just threw 2 of his dogs together. He put on a good front, but I started to wonder after I got the pup home and he was having some behavior issues, which have been worked on and are a lot better.

He was also younger than the guy told me which was another reason I questioned it. But the Gage is turning out nicely regardless. He is supposidly a grandson of Rudie Pegge on his mothers side and a grandson of Arko Kikkert on his fathers side. But when I met him to get the puppy I was expecting a pedigree atleast, but the guy had no paper work on the pup. Another reason why I question the fact that the guy is a true breeder. So I just say supposidly since there is no proof, lol. I know I shouldn't have gone thru with the deal, but now I am glad I did. Gage is just excelling in the protection work and obedience. And he has over come most of his issues too. Still working on a couple minor ones, but those should fine. So regardless of his pedigree he is turning out to be a nice dog.
Re: Hello
Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:38 pm
by CaroleBoaz
I hate it when people (breeders?) lie about their puppies. It just makes them look bad, and they will get a bad reputation in the end. Just be honest and people will appreciate it. Most people fall in love with puppies and would buy them regardless.
When I went to pick up my puppy in Europe, the breeder told me she had to be honest, and the pup had a small heart murmur. I read that this can be common in very young puppies. When the vet checked out my puppy a couple of days later, there was no heart murmer, and there still isn't. But I appreciate being told so I could have it checked out.
Re: Hello
Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:01 pm
by DSGirl
I agree 100%. I will alwasy perfer honesty. But I am happy I got my boy when I did. The guy who sold him to me still has and is trying to sell 2 pups from the same little. They could sit, down, stay and heel at 3 1/2 months old, but they were on choke chains and are very nervous and timid the entire time. He posted a couple of videos on youtube of him working them. It made me happy I got my boy before he started to work him. My boy can do the same obedience as the other pups, but he is a happy puppy who is having fun while working, and I like that. I understand that one day I will need to move my pup up from a flat or martingale collar to something stronger, but while he is still a youngester I prefer to leave him on the martingale or flat collar since he is doing well on them:)
Re: Hello
Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:20 pm
by CaroleBoaz
I like using a flat or martingale. The martingale comes in handy, I've had my Laekenois slip his flat collar accidently when he saw a squirrel across the street and outmanuvered me. Good thing no cars were coming. As strong as my dogs are, I haven't had to resort to the prong collars, and they have been gathering dust for 5 years in the garage. It probably helps that I don't use a leash when doing basic training with dogs.
Re: Hello
Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:41 pm
by vneerland
Hello Geneva

Re: Hello
Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:31 am
by DSGirl
Hi Judith:D
It is so cool to see you on here. I love the pics on your avatar and signature. They are wonderful.
Re: Hello
Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:24 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome
