Page 1 of 1

New from Halifax UK

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:33 pm
by MattW
Hi guys,

Well until a few days ago I had never heard of a DS. Not that common over here. However, while out walking with Weasley some crazy old man came over and asked me where I bought a DS in our area. I told him we had taken her in as an abandoned stray when we lived in the Italian alps 4 years ago and as far as I was concerned when anyone asked me what type of dog she was the answer was always....Brown. After looking on your site I am starting to think he may have been right (and not blind drunk). Have to say the old farmer lady up the mountains in Italy wanted any of her puppies as she was so good at herding the cows and ducks.
Can any of you cast any light on this for me. It would be hilarious as I just thought she was some weird mix with huge ears and an over large tongue.
Thanks all

Matt

Re: New from Halifax UK

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:27 pm
by GSDNanny
Well she looks like a Dutchie to me! Cant tell about the body, but head, well yes. Pretty girl.

Welcome!

Re: New from Halifax UK

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:53 pm
by felixone123
love the huge ears and tongue hanging out!!

Re: New from Halifax UK

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:11 pm
by CaroleBoaz
Very cute! Looks like she never grew into her ears. :D

Re: New from Halifax UK

Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:11 am
by Dutchringgirl
hmmm, large ears.........large toung hanging out.......Dutchie

Re: New from Halifax UK

Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:11 am
by Olie
wow she has huge ears just like Olaf!
Cute girl!!

Re: New from Halifax UK

Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:11 am
by MattW
Hi guys and thanks. She does have the most ludicrous ears and a good friend of mine thinks she is a cross between a dingo and a fruit bat.
Certainly no one here has a dog quite the same. Far too intelligent for her own good sometimes. I'm not sure anyone will believe my wife and I if we try to tell them she is in fact a Dutchie but I think the photos of all your amazing looking dogs might just help!
I've told her she is now a proper breed, almost like a duckling turning into a swan ha ha. She always thought she was special anyway!
I shall follow the rest of the forum with interest. Shame we don't have a UK one!!!
Matt

Re: New from Halifax UK

Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:20 pm
by LyonsFamily
Welcome to the forum! Love those ears.
I'm not sure anyone will believe my wife and I if we try to tell them she is in fact a Dutchie
I get that from a lot of people when they ask what Odin is. It's usually "Is that a real breed?" or "Oh is that a German Shepherd Pitbull Hybrid?" like it's the next labradoodle or maltipoo. It is nice when someone actually comes up to me and calls him a DS without even needing to ask. I've found that most of that type raised Malinois and met a few Dutch in working clubs. We live in a very Italian neighborhood with lots of retired military and cops, so they seem to be a bit more exposed.

The other day on a walk, I had a dad stop us so he could describe in detail the main differences to his son between a Malinois and a DS. He then went into stories about his childhood Malinois. The smile on his face when he met Odin was priceless.

Re: New from Halifax UK

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:18 pm
by leih merigian
MattW wrote:...a good friend of mine thinks she is a cross between a dingo and a fruit bat.
Love it! Wish I could remember that for the next time someone asks me what Geyser is :lol:

You've got a real cutie there...

Re: New from Halifax UK

Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:44 pm
by alspyce
I'm gonna go with the fruit bat. Don't think I've seen ears that big even on my GSD's. I Love It !!!!

Re: New from Halifax UK

Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:37 pm
by vneerland
Welcome!