Page 1 of 1

Roxie has a new habit.....

Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:49 pm
by roxanne
She walks behind us and taps our legs with her nose. No nipping, only touching. I realize it's probably some sort of herding game. Is that a normal game or do I just have a weird pup? Or maybe she's just following that close?

Re: Roxie has a new habit.....

Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:48 pm
by Sugars Mom
Sugar does that sometimes too...I don't have an answer to your questions tho.

Re: Roxie has a new habit.....

Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:20 pm
by Dutchringgirl
Sadie follows very close too and I feel her on my heel.

Re: Roxie has a new habit.....

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:32 am
by leih merigian
Geyser did that as a pup, and would do it with a toy in her mouth. It can hurt. I stopped that pronto, Tonto :D (I especially hated it when she aimed it at my ankles :twisted: )

Re: Roxie has a new habit.....

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:10 am
by Sugars Mom
What Sugar does is very gentle. Its a nose touch, but on the leg while walking, from behind.

Re: Roxie has a new habit.....

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:17 am
by Dutchringgirl
Ill have to watch sadie as we walk to see what she is doing, I always figured she was just too darn close. I wonder if she is doint that too. It dosnt hurt, I just feel her on my heal. Many times though it does annoy me and Ill stop quick, and she gets the hint.

Re: Roxie has a new habit.....

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:53 am
by Sugars Mom
When Sugar does it, it is on the leg, not the heel.

Re: Roxie has a new habit.....

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:17 am
by Drizlaru
I'll take a stab at a theory I came up with about that, and I get to coin a new term called contact awareness. =)

It's not herding behavior, because like you said, she isn't trying to control your movement or direction of travel. Think of it more like the desire to be aware of your movement in a more personal way. If you watch 2 or more dogs that are "friends" and are running, walking, or moving together in the same direction, you will notice that they very often remain in tactile contact with one another. Add to that, the fact that Roxie is following from behind, and respecting your position of leadership.

Watch these Swiss White Shepherds, when they are moving together as a unit (not when they're milling about) look at the proximity of each of them, some are in pairs, and others prefer to remain outside the main group. Especially the last 12 seconds of the video, the two shepherds trotting along the fence together. One leads, and the other stays in close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxnJF9TEv-0

That would be my theory, and yes, it's only a guess. :ugeek:

Re: Roxie has a new habit.....

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:25 am
by Olie
Olaf does that when I come home from work, and when im getting ready to walk him. He pushis me with his nose and sometimes rams into me!
I find it cute! :D

Re: Roxie has a new habit.....

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:39 am
by roxanne
You could be right. It's kind of weird that she touches both of my legs! Not sure if she does it to anyone else.

And last night, for the first time, I had some ask me if she had shepherd in her. I was excited! It was a kid...asked if she had GSD in her....but it's a start. Other than the vet anyway. :D