Page 1 of 1

Prong Collar Covers?

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:02 am
by ZodiacT
Does anyone here have experience using those nylon covers they have for prong collars? I like that they make the prong collar look like a flat nylon collar but I'm wondering how well the cover stays on.

Re: Prong Collar Covers?

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:42 pm
by Choochi
The black nylon that attaches to a prong with multiple little velcro straps stays on ridiculously well. :)

Re: Prong Collar Covers?

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:46 pm
by CaroleBoaz
I have one of these, but never use it. I don't need prongs on my dogs. http://www.lolalimited.net/

Re: Prong Collar Covers?

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:11 pm
by ZodiacT
Choochi wrote:The black nylon that attaches to a prong with multiple little velcro straps stays on ridiculously well. :)
That's the one I was looking at, thanks or the info :D
CaroleBoaz wrote:I have one of these, but never use it. I don't need prongs on my dogs. http://www.lolalimited.net/
Those are very pretty, thanks for the link!

I use the prong during certain training exercises at the recommendation of my trainer. The more I practice in busy places to get Zodiac used to distractions the more I am accosted by strangers for the "cruel" collar I have on my dog, which is why I was curious about the covers.

Re: Prong Collar Covers?

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:23 pm
by Choochi
CaroleBoaz wrote:I have one of these, but never use it. I don't need prongs on my dogs. http://www.lolalimited.net/

That's essentially a prong with a super fancy and pretty cover :)

I have a prong collar where the chain part is black nylon, when I put the cover on that collar, it looks like a plain regular all nylon martingale. Even very up close people have to look very hard to notice it's a prong lol as I've actually argued with people telling them no really my dog is wearing a prong with a cover.

Re: Prong Collar Covers?

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:17 am
by Englishes5
I have a Lola collar for Callie now. Something I like about it is the fact that the prongs are not on the trachea and can be removed individually if they are not needed, or added back in. Also I was able to "accidentally" disconnect some links in a regular prong collar when I was testing it out, and that does not happen with the Lola.

Re: Prong Collar Covers?

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:42 am
by Dutchringgirl
I have prong covers, i got them from Etsy. I love them. They do look less like the meany collars.

Re: Prong Collar Covers?

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:19 am
by LyonsFamily
I have a few, some nylon ones and a cloth one and I don't really like any of them. Maybe it's just Odin's big head and thick neck, but they always look like he has an ace bandage wrapped around his neck.

I don't get accosted for using prongs though, even at UKC shows (on the grounds, not in the ring) nobody says anything. Perhaps it's because I come across extremely confident and rarely correct in public, or the fact that I also carry a clicker and bait bag and have a calm well thought out response about balanced training if anyone inquires. I would much rather see a well behaved dog on a prong than one pulling hard on a buckle. I do always use a back up in public though. I've had 2 herm sprengers pop open on me and had to use an emergency drop on recall.

I don't like the collars with the built in removable prongs because removing one or more will create uneven pressure along the neck and that defeats the quick response and neck safety that the original design provides. I guess they might be good for weaning a dog off of a prong or for those dogs that just need the collar on as a reminder, but I wouldn't give a correction on my own or a client's dog unless the prongs went all the way around.

If you want a little more discreet prong without the cover, HS makes an all black one that looks very sleek on a DS. Ray Allen and Gun Dog Supply have them for the lowest prices.

Re: Prong Collar Covers?

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:39 pm
by Schlussdibusti
LyonsFamily wrote: Ray Allen and Gun Dog Supply have them for the lowest prices.
I don't know how I got on their mailing list but I received the June 2013 Ray Allen Catalogue in the mail and on it's cover is a DS doing bite work. The first 4 pages showing bite suits and sleeves are showing predominantly DS. :mrgreen: