Page 1 of 1

Walking your dog near other dogs.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:56 pm
by bannerd
Hello, I was hoping to get Koda into a socialization classes, after long talks with the teacher he really sees no need for it. I'm trying to figure out what I need to do so I can make him better. I really think he needs to be socialized, he's a year old already (can't believe it, ugh :cry: ). The issue I keep facing is that we go for hikes in the woods. Koda met a couple and a dog the other day. He bolted back to me in fear and was crying, soon as I put his leash on.. wham.. he's barking and thrashing. I usually don't keep his prong collar on, although he knows that doing the thrashing is just going to hurt him. He usually doesn't do this when we go for city walks and other dogs come by and he's in his prong. In the woods it's more dangerous to have it on I think. I couldn't get him to stop so I back kicked him in the abs. He jumped up in fear and didn't know what that was, totally took his mind off what he was doing. He stopped barking and was just watching the couple walk down the trail. With that said.. I'm back to square one.. people walk by my house and he's back to barking at them. I tell him quiet and he doesn't bark.. he cries and paces and eventually I tell him to lay down. Oh he'll try to get up but I usually have to do this about five times and he finally stays in his bed. Tonight I'll take him to the school and just let him watch people and dogs. Not sure what he thinks he's doing... he knows it's wrong.

Re: Walking your dog near other dogs.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:22 pm
by CaroleBoaz
Boaz used to get overexcited when we went to my training club. There were just too many dogs. Now he's used to it, it just took time, and distance. But if there's a Border Collie or Aussie staring at him, he will still act up. He also gets very excited when he sees other dogs on the agility equipment. Another reason I have to get him into training again.

Just keep Koda a comfortable distance and gradually work closer. If he like food, treat him when he's behaving. IF you get too close for comfort, back away.

(My female Malinois thinks she's a big ass tough dog. But all I have to do is threaten to put her back in the car and she behaves.)

Re: Walking your dog near other dogs.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:12 pm
by Olie
Olaf is also very excited when other dogs are around (like in doggy school or when we meet dog on our walks). He stares at them, pulls me around etc. He is not agresive, he just wants to sniff them and meet. When he is off leash (park) he is fine after they sniff, they play or just pass each other, he comes when i call him, and is pretty well behaved. Its just BEFORE he meets them he gets blind and def to anything.

Try using positive methods. I, personaly, am against prong or choke collars, and kicking Ceasar Millan style.

About hike situation.. leash gives dogs security, like "i am strong, i have my boss behind me", and it can cause agresion if dogs pull. Its often better to have dog off leash (ofc, if you can be sure he want charge to bite the other dog).

About barking on people in front of your house. I could try arranging with a couple of friends to walk up and down in fron of the door to get him desensitized with lots of praise and treats when he`s good.

Re: Walking your dog near other dogs.

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:25 am
by Drizlaru
bannerd wrote:Hello, I was hoping to get Koda into a socialization classes, after long talks with the teacher he really sees no need for it. I'm trying to figure out what I need to do so I can make him better. I really think he needs to be socialized, he's a year old already (can't believe it, ugh :cry: ). The issue I keep facing is that we go for hikes in the woods. Koda met a couple and a dog the other day. He bolted back to me in fear and was crying, soon as I put his leash on.. wham.. he's barking and thrashing. I usually don't keep his prong collar on, although he knows that doing the thrashing is just going to hurt him. He usually doesn't do this when we go for city walks and other dogs come by and he's in his prong. In the woods it's more dangerous to have it on I think. I couldn't get him to stop so I back kicked him in the abs. He jumped up in fear and didn't know what that was, totally took his mind off what he was doing. He stopped barking and was just watching the couple walk down the trail. With that said.. I'm back to square one.. people walk by my house and he's back to barking at them. I tell him quiet and he doesn't bark.. he cries and paces and eventually I tell him to lay down. Oh he'll try to get up but I usually have to do this about five times and he finally stays in his bed. Tonight I'll take him to the school and just let him watch people and dogs. Not sure what he thinks he's doing... he knows it's wrong.
Something to take into consideration, you know him better then anyone, so it's your call. But he may not be the social type personality that you want him to be. It's just not in his personality. Socializing him could make it worse, when what you should be looking for is indifference to other dogs and people. Desensitizing from a distance for indifference is a good place to start. Other dogs and people become part of the landscape , like a tree. If he reacts, then you need to back up and start over. As he learns to ignore strange dogs and people, you can work closer. Positive reinforcement is the most tried and true method for lasting results. If your interested, check out the book and video "On Talking Terms with Dogs - Calming signals by Turid Rugaas" http://www.amazon.com/On-Talking-Terms- ... 718&sr=1-1 Some of the observations she makes are quite interesting when it comes to reactivity to other dogs and people.

Re: Walking your dog near other dogs.

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:38 pm
by Dutchringgirl
It seems people seem to have this need to socialize their dog. Like Ben said, some dogs just dont have the personality for it. I never went out on a mission to socialize my dogs, it either happened or didnt. Take them for walks in town and just ignore everything, dont go out of your way to visit every dog, you may be looking for bigger problems. These are dominant breed dogs, and some have stronger personalities than others and if you force them to socialize it may just get into a fighting match. Thalie has been social from day one, she loves everyone, Sadie is more dominant and isnt always super social, so Its my responsibility to wait while another dog passes, or stay away, I am not going to throw her into a behavior that will make her worse. If over time, as we pass more dogs, she shows signs of wanting to play then I will let her, but Id rather keep them away from other dogs. She gets along with the dogs that are in my life, such as my friends dogs and my parents dogs, thats all that matters to me.