Page 1 of 1

Out

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:14 pm
by felixone123
Been working with Odin on his "out" that Christie showed us at camp - awesome!! Thank you so much Christie!!
I practice it several times a day with him and am seeing good results - not all the time because it depends on his stubborn moods but, for the most part we are successful!! :wtg:

Re: Out

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:52 am
by leih merigian
Yay!

BTW...along the lines of making it fun for you both...

Once he's got the concept and is reliable about outing, then you can make a game out of it. With Geyser, the rule is, once I've said "out," you can't touch the item until I say you can.

So, we'll be playing with a tug toy, and "out," then I'll hold it in front of her face and say, "OK!" (not her release word, so she knows she can't get it; then I'll say "alright!!"...alas, also not her release word, so she just waits...finally, either "get it" or "ya!", which is her release word :D ).

works with playing fetch...if you tell them to Out the item, and toss it, they can't pick it up until you say "get it"...and there are so many ways you can play around with this and it's all a big game.

If they make a mistake, "oops!" no big deal, just do it again and play some more.

Anyway, glad you're making progress!

Re: Out

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:17 am
by felixone123
thanks for the info Leih!! I like the word "get it".

I use the word "ok" to release them while both are waiting at the bottom of the stairs until mommy gets to the top - otherwise, they are like a herd of buffalo and I get trampled. :lol:

Re: Out

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:17 pm
by Lauren
felixone123 wrote:thanks for the info Leih!! I like the word "get it".

I use the word "ok" to release them while both are waiting at the bottom of the stairs until mommy gets to the top - otherwise, they are like a herd of buffalo and I get trampled. :lol:
I used to use "ok" , until I did almost get tramped on the stairs by telling my daughter it was ok about something... I had forgotten I had 4 dogs in a stay at the top! :duh:

Now I use "free".

Re: Out

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:37 pm
by felixone123
Lauren wrote:
felixone123 wrote:thanks for the info Leih!! I like the word "get it".

I use the word "ok" to release them while both are waiting at the bottom of the stairs until mommy gets to the top - otherwise, they are like a herd of buffalo and I get trampled. :lol:
I used to use "ok" , until I did almost get tramped on the stairs by telling my daughter it was ok about something... I had forgotten I had 4 dogs in a stay at the top! :duh:

Now I use "free".
:lol: :lol: - that is too funny Lauren!!

Re: Out

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:36 am
by Drizlaru
Theres a good way to avoid ever making the mistake of giving a command when you didn't mean to.

http://www.mndogtraining.com/dogcommands-dutch.htm ;)

Re: Out

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:33 am
by Marjolein
Lauren wrote:
felixone123 wrote:thanks for the info Leih!! I like the word "get it".

I use the word "ok" to release them while both are waiting at the bottom of the stairs until mommy gets to the top - otherwise, they are like a herd of buffalo and I get trampled. :lol:
I used to use "ok" , until I did almost get tramped on the stairs by telling my daughter it was ok about something... I had forgotten I had 4 dogs in a stay at the top! :duh:

Now I use "free".
whahahhaa, I can just see it happen :lol: :lol: :lol:
Drizlaru wrote:Theres a good way to avoid ever making the mistake of giving a command when you didn't mean to.

http://www.mndogtraining.com/dogcommands-dutch.htm ;)
I dont'see the point? :roll:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Re: Out

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:50 am
by leih merigian
Lauren wrote:
felixone123 wrote:I used to use "ok" , until I did almost get tramped on the stairs by telling my daughter it was ok about something... I had forgotten I had 4 dogs in a stay at the top! :duh:

Now I use "free".
That's why I don't use OK...you use it too much, unconsciously, in everday speech.

I use free too, but not as her main release word (slightly different meaning for us)...regardless, it's either her release word or another command/cue.