Page 1 of 2

Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:36 pm
by Travis
Crazy afternoon. The Dutchies just cornered and held a shady character that let himself into our 6 foot gated and block fenced backyard. Guy was parked two doors down at a foreclosed property with his truck running and had temporary tags on it.

Claimed he was "just an American looking to borrow some power" and had some blue electronic looking box in his hand. Not a contractor nor did he make any claim to have a legitimate reason to be either in our backyard or on the foreclosed property two doors down.

Got very upset when I took photos and vid of his truck but left before the cops arrived.

Anyways, the doggies just got a nice big helping of chicken and steaks for their job well done. Luna charges out barking several times a day at various noises so I initially didn't bother to even look when she exploded out the dog door with her big girl growl. Only when the racket continued for a bit did I go out to investigate and find her barking the guy into the wall (well inside our gated backyard) and not letting him go anywhere.

Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:24 pm
by felixone123
awesome!!! I bet he was surprised when he encounter your girl :lol:
Are they protection dogs or was this natural instinct?

Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:38 pm
by Lauren
Wow! Good job, Dutchies!!!

"Just looking to borrow some electricity????" People who "borrow" things come to the FRONT door and ASK!

I am so glad that they caught him! I bet he will check it out a little more carefully next time. :ds:

Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:42 pm
by Travis
Luna's a flyball dog, social butterfly, and never done any protection work. But she's very protective of the car and house naturally.

Maxine is typically very shy but gains some confidence when Luna's around. Typically she'll poke her head out to bark at a delivery person but isn't sure if she want to actually venture out. But this time she was right in the mix and I had to take hold of her collar to escort the guy to the gate.

Both are rescues and not worked in the protection sports. But Luna's bark and hold was as clean as the competition Malinois I used to work in Schutzhund! I was so proud of our girls.

When the guy got worked up at me photographing his truck and came back towards our place raising his voice, both the Dutchies were trying to eat him through the slatted privacy gate. :wtg:

Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:46 pm
by felixone123
wow - so, when put to the test they performed. You have great dogs!! I would be proud too!!

Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:47 pm
by felixone123
meant to add, I would need a :pint: after that :lol:

Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:16 am
by Dutchringgirl
Well done Luna!!!! Thalie and Sadie are proud of you!

Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:37 am
by Drizlaru
Travis wrote:Crazy afternoon. The Dutchies just cornered and held a shady character that let himself into our 6 foot gated and block fenced backyard. Guy was parked two doors down at a foreclosed property with his truck running and had temporary tags on it.

Claimed he was "just an American looking to borrow some power" and had some blue electronic looking box in his hand. Not a contractor nor did he make any claim to have a legitimate reason to be either in our backyard or on the foreclosed property two doors down.

Got very upset when I took photos and vid of his truck but left before the cops arrived.

Anyways, the doggies just got a nice big helping of chicken and steaks for their job well done. Luna charges out barking several times a day at various noises so I initially didn't bother to even look when she exploded out the dog door with her big girl growl. Only when the racket continued for a bit did I go out to investigate and find her barking the guy into the wall (well inside our gated backyard) and not letting him go anywhere.
Damn fine job, to both your doggies. Well done indeed. I hope the police doggies get him. :muffy:

Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:55 pm
by Sugars Mom
Wow! Way to go Luna and Maxine!

Nice having that peace of mind that a dog like this brings.

Great to hear nothing bad happened from all this.

Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:44 pm
by Marjolein
good job! They didn't bite the guy? What happens in the states if they do? Ovberhere I have a major problem if they bit a burglar, even when the ##&$&#@ has no right to be on my property :roll:

Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:58 pm
by Drizlaru
Depends on what state you live in, and if they bite on your property or off. If my dogs bite an intruder on my property in the state of Maine, it's the trespassers fault. I cover my butt though and have it posted "NO TRESPASSING" and " WARNING DOGS" signs as well, that way there is no question. If they bite off my property, then I can be held liable.

Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:29 am
by leih merigian
Travis, that is truly awesome!

Way to go, pooches!

Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:35 am
by ZodiacT
That is so awesome, I'm impressed!

Drizlaru wrote:Depends on what state you live in, and if they bite on your property or off. If my dogs bite an intruder on my property in the state of Maine, it's the trespassers fault.
That is one of the many reasons I miss Maine and can't wait to move back up there.

Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:17 am
by Drizlaru
Ohhhh anotha Mainah! Well come on back up!

Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:09 pm
by vneerland
Awesome Travis! I was hoping for a picture of your brindle duo, holding the passed out prize in front of them (like a trophy picture) :mrgreen: but in loo of that, how about a pic of the heroins without the captured visitor?

Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:22 pm
by DSGirl
Wow, That is great that you had your 2 Dutchies there:) I bet that guy nearly peed his pants, lol. Good job to your 2 Dutchies :wtg:

Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:12 pm
by GSDNanny
Good dogs! Good dogs! What great instincts. The guy must have been on something to intentionally walk into your yard with dogs present. What a fool!! I normally have a couple of mine in both yards outside at some point throughout the day. They hit the wood fence with a vengence if someone approaches so "bless their hearts" (southern for STUPID PERSON!) if an intruder makes it through! I do have warning signs posted as well.

You said that your's upon going outside light up and bark as a warning. My Gris does the same thing, whether I am letting her out of the house or truck, she does a quick running around looking and barking as a warning. Like that!!

Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:16 am
by k9katet
Nice! Good dogs!

Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:12 am
by Travis
As proud of them as I am, I have noticed that they're on super high alert ever since. Luna especially has made it her newfound mission in life to patrol the fenceline and occasionally charge outside to the yard just to announce her presence in a sort of "just in case anyone was wondering, I'm still on duty" mindset.

Re: Dutchies bark and hold a backyard prowler today!

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:24 pm
by katm4110
That's amazing! Are your dogs trained for any type of protection work or did they just sense something was wrong?