Page 1 of 1

Ukraine dog slaughter

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:00 pm
by vneerland
Some of you may already know. I am naive enough to think/hope that it would not be true, or not as bad as reported, but I am afraid that I am wrong.
Preceding the soccer championships in Poland/Ukraine, the local authorities decided it was time to take care of their stray animal issues. I understand a need to intervene, but the described measures are nothing shore of a canine (and feline) holocaust. Clubbing huge numbers of dogs to death, burning them alive.
I dare not post any pictures. Just a link that may lead you to pictures. I hope that it is all propaganda and photoshop. But what if I am wrong?
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-574497 ... slaughter/
Can our eastern European members cast a light on this atrocity? Surely it isn't true, right? :eek:

Re: Ukraine dog slaughter

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:46 pm
by Dutchringgirl
I do not dare to click on the link for fear of it being true. I am a graphic designer and can usually tell PS from real but in cases the PS is so good its hard. Maybe do a google search and see if there are other stories? There are some people out there that are that sick, sorry to say. I hope our other friends can dispel this story.

Re: Ukraine dog slaughter

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:44 pm
by vneerland
I had already googled, Lisa. :( The story is told in many languages, and it does appear to be true. The pictures I have seen could keep you up at night. I guess that might be the reason that I hope it's not true?

Re: Ukraine dog slaughter

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:32 pm
by CaroleBoaz
I had heard about it a while ago. I just googled this, it is from Nov 2011.

Bowing to pressure from Western civic groups, the Ukrainian government yesterday ordered all mayors to stop "euthanising" stray dogs and build animal shelters for them instead.

The killings had been ordered to clear the street for the Euro 2012 championship in June. Thousands of stray dogs have been killed in Ukraine over the past year, often poisoned or injected with illegal substances. Some cities in Ukraine have up to 10,000 strays.


-------------

Well, further searching indicates that dogs are still being slaughtered. >:(

Re: Ukraine dog slaughter

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:52 pm
by Dutchringgirl
Crap.

Re: Ukraine dog slaughter

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:31 pm
by GSDNanny
To quote Gandhi: "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." So what does this tell you?

I cant bring myself to look at the photos, I can only imagine... :cry:

Re: Ukraine dog slaughter

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:38 pm
by Marjolein
I will not look at the pics either, I will not sleep for days :cry: I believe it is true. Wasn't there a riot just like this one for the olympics somewhere some years ago? Or was it the World Cup soccer South Africa 2 years ago? Can't remember. Was same story, dogs being killed horribly, burned, dead or maybe still alive Image

Re: Ukraine dog slaughter

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:54 am
by leih merigian
What a horrible story...no way I can click on that link, your description is enough to turn my stomach...

Re: Ukraine dog slaughter

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:18 pm
by Christie M
I had watched a commentary on the effects of the big soccer tournaments to local communities on ESPN. Here in America, when a city hosts the Super Bowl it is good for economic growth in the area. In parts of Europe, apparently it results in people being forced out of their homes, animal slaughter and many other things. So sad!

Re: Ukraine dog slaughter

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:59 pm
by Olie
Same thing happened in Greece before olympics or some other big sports event. :(

Re: Ukraine dog slaughter

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:45 pm
by vneerland
What's wrong with people if that is acceptable? I understand that people do not always have much influence on their goverment, but I try to picture such a "cleansing'' in Western Europe (not meant to be an attack on or members in Eastern Europe, BTW) of North America, and can only expect an uproar over such treatment. So what is the difference? Is it a difference in the way animals are perceived? Or it is fear of government reprisals that allow this to happen?

Re: Ukraine dog slaughter

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:52 am
by Dutchringgirl
I believe its the problem of fear of the govt. Unless someone tells me otherwise but then why cant the people speak out against it!!

Re: Ukraine dog slaughter

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:25 pm
by Marjolein
vneerland wrote: So what is the difference? Is it a difference in the way animals are perceived? Or it is fear of government reprisals that allow this to happen?
I guess both. The areas where this happens are SO poor, people have other issues ont their minds (like getting food every day), and those governments, you do not want to pick a fight I guess, you might just dissapper like those dogs do :( There have been groups in the football satdiums tho, that protested against this, trying to get UEFA to stop it, they did not respons I believe...