Page 1 of 2
Mottled Mouths?
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:31 am
by leih merigian
So, do most DS have mottled mouths (Geyser's gums and lips are pink and dark brown/blackish)? Just curious...
Re: Mottled Mouths?
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:05 am
by Dutchringgirl
Hmm, Ill have to check my girls, I know they have big teeth.

Re: Mottled Mouths?
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:41 am
by Sugars Mom
Sugar has pink with black spots on her gums, but solid black lips...we call her gorilla lips

Re: Mottled Mouths?
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:27 pm
by Dutchringgirl
My girls have pick tops and a black line across where their teeth come out of their gums.
Re: Mottled Mouths?
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:38 pm
by alexis
Zane has pink with black spots too - gums and the roof of his mouth.
Re: Mottled Mouths?
Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:54 am
by leih merigian
sounds pretty typical, then...
Re: Mottled Mouths?
Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:27 pm
by alspyce
Lyric's mouth is black, top & bottom.
Re: Mottled Mouths?
Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:24 pm
by roxanne
Roxie's is black too.....and she has a spot on her tongue.
Re: Mottled Mouths?
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:06 am
by vneerland
Ideally, the lips are black. Some dogs, when the mouth is open, will show some pink in the inside of the mouth, but it doesn't usually show when the mouth is closed. I have had dogs where the pink is damage, or at an older age, where they lose some pigment on the inside of the mouth. Other dogs would always stay dark, and some even have black gums!
Re: Mottled Mouths?
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:25 pm
by leih merigian
vneerland wrote:Ideally, the lips are black. Some dogs, when the mouth is open, will show some pink in the inside of the mouth, but it doesn't usually show when the mouth is closed. I have had dogs where the pink is damage, or at an older age, where they lose some pigment on the inside of the mouth. Other dogs would always stay dark, and some even have black gums!
I'll have to take some pics of Geyser's mouth and post them here. When her mouth is closed, you don't see any pink, but when her mouth is open, Yikes! Just curious about how customary that is (notice I didn't say "normal"

). I'm not even certain that what I consider to be her lips are actually called lips, as opposed to something else

. My knowledge of dog anatomy is rather lacking...

Re: Mottled Mouths?
Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:41 pm
by Marjolein
Mine have black lips, and Dingo has black gums too. Ivil's are pink and black, the rest of her mouth is black with some small pink spots
Show us Ivil?
"ok"
Good dog

Re: Mottled Mouths?
Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:31 pm
by Schlussdibusti
Re: Mottled Mouths?
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:17 am
by Dutchringgirl
Re: Mottled Mouths?
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:25 pm
by felixone123
great shot Marjolein!!
Re: Mottled Mouths?
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:20 am
by leih merigian
Yeah, great pic!
I'll have to get going on taking one of Geyser...
Re: Mottled Mouths?
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:15 pm
by Marjolein
it's an old pic, been on my website for ages, but I remembered it when discussing this and I figured it fit's in well

Re: Mottled Mouths?
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:47 am
by vneerland
Yes, cool shot.
Concerning the 'damage'. It is reversible. I had a malinois who would dearly love to haul a car tire around, just for fun. He would spend hours tossing it around, and biting on it. I did start to notice that his lips would turn pink for a couple of weeks after vigorous chewing. After I stopped it, the pigment would come back. So Leih, maybe you are letting G. chew too much?

Re: Mottled Mouths?
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:43 pm
by Bedlam
We had a litter with mostly all black mouths. I was delighted as there is an old wives tale that states the very best dogs have an all black mouth. We've had them spotted, too. There seems to be an allergy in the midwest/north east, maybe to oak or something, and some of the dogs have lost mouth pigment for the duration of what ever the allergy is caused by. The mouth goes back to black or spotted. We simply gave benedryl so they felt better.
Re: Mottled Mouths?
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:47 pm
by Bedlam
Most of ours have at least had one black spot on the tongue, too. With Badger, there are many spots 'way down his throat. We have to get him to yawn to display them. We do this by pretending to yawn at him---it's pretty funny.
Re: Mottled Mouths?
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:55 am
by leih merigian
OK, guys, took me long enough, but check these out:
The next one shows (poorly) a huge pink spot at the back of her throat...
She's been like this since she arrived, I believe.
Judith, you think this has something to do with chewing? My GSD had a black mouth, and this never happened from chewing...???
OMG...I just noticed the little magnifying button in the upper left corner of the images...clicked on one, and Poof! Huge image! Eric, this site just keeps getting better!