Page 1 of 2
Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:06 am
by mariposa34

I can't find it! I've looked EVERYWHERE! Under the tail, back of the neck, even under the chin and it's not there

LOL! I mean seriously we hit the bite sleeve, track, place and race around like a maniac with our litter mates for at least 4 hours with the trainer on days when not training we do 15 min increments of sit, stay, down, tug and find it and maniac running around the yard and STILL NO OFF! WTH! I literally have to put her in her kennel and cut the light off for her to lay down LMAO! Maybe she has ADD?

GAH! I'm going to have to start taking her dragging erm I mean running yeah that's it with me in the am......now if I can just find a pair of non chewed up sneakers

I love my Raven

What does everyone else do to turn off their DS? I should have named her Chompers or Duracel.....

Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:08 am
by mariposa34
I did the picture wrong again

sorry

Oh nope it worked YAY!
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:08 pm
by icvanstra
It is definitely there! Just really hard to find at 5 months.
Have you been working down/stay in the house? That is when the outline of the off switch may appear.

Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:22 pm
by ICE
Ha ha ha! Sorry just had to laugh.... My dutchies is almost 10 months - there is an off switch but it is really hard to find!!! He is the youngest of 4 dogs and he is a NUT!!!!! Even the other dogs are like stop crazy dog!!! I do not want to play with you!!!!!!!

He is non-stop!! We play, we run, we work obedience it is never enough for him. When we come inside to rest - he will lay down (without the crate) but if I even uncross my legs he is up and ready to run!!! It does get better but it does take time!! You have maybe another 2-3 months and you will see the outline of the off switch.....

Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:37 pm
by mariposa34
No no no stop laughing! LOL! Eric I need to update my signature as Raven is actually 9mnths old now and I'm telling you there is no OFF switch anywhere! I even checked her belly which she gladly rolled over and spread eagle for me to do while she gnawed on my ankle......Yes we practice sit/stay/down and everything in the house and she's freaking awesome at it but as soon as my husband leaves for work it's like GO! Last night as I was sitting here contemplating where else I could look for the off switch or possibly three 3's (you know for half evil) marked under her fur I realized that it was absolutely quite. The fun police Terra the westie was snoring in the chair behind me and it was utterly peaceful.....and then panic set in and I jumped up thinking OMG WHO DID RAVEN EAT< WHAT DID RAVEN EAT>WHAT DID SHE POOP ON!!!!! I turn around and she's laying on the floor with a dead squeaky ball in her mouth. I tried to sneak a treat so I could give it to her and praise her for being calm but as soon as I even twitched a muscle........she had this dang on rope in her mouth shoving it in my face and the fun police was growling and grumping at me again.......SIGH! Ice I don't believe Raven has even an outline of a switch, nope not even a shadow. She trains with the police departments K9 units and they keep offering to buy her from me and I'm like....."Yeah I know she's awesome I taught her that. Wait how much? Wanna sell me one of your kids? No? Then stop asking me about mine!" LOL!
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:34 pm
by Aztechalo
Ha ha ha! It gets better, I promise. Somewhere around three years, you're going to look over at your napping dog and think, "Maybe we're ready for a puppy." I think this may ne what child birth is like. We are programed to forget the pain.
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:43 pm
by ICE
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:42 pm
by Dutchringgirl
HAHAHA, I went through the same thing!! when Sadie was a pup, I would sit in my office and work and she and Thalie would fall asleep, but I could NOT get up! One tiny move and Sadie was up and ready to go. Id say about approaching 1 year they develope an off switch. From a year or so Sadie would stop when I stopped. I also worked alot on the down stay so that helps. Dont worry, it will happen, although later not sooner.
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:16 am
by leih merigian
BTDT
I love the Xpen I bought this time around. Geyser spent a lot of time in it until she was around 10 months old, ditto the great dane sized wire crate in the front room. I believe you actually have to teach them to find the off switch themselves

.
I'm not saying it's not a challenge, mind you

Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:57 am
by mariposa34
Yea that kennel is a life saver let me tell ya lol! She is knocked out in it right now as we speak with her legs up in the air! She hit the sleeve today and played Frisbee and ball. She's not off mind you she's just on pause.....
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:35 pm
by icvanstra
Cino just turned five. Not sure when he finally found his internal off switch... He has finally figured out that is it okay to just chill next to me when I'm working from home. Plus I don't have to crate him 100% of the time when I'm gone any more.
Yet he still has that ever vigilant / always on duty quality about him. Can amazingly leap from the ground onto the seat of my truck as if it took no effort. let's not even begin to talk about showing him a the chuck-it. Or how fast he learned how to retrieve the new soft frisbee everyone is talking about.
...
Went to a friends on Sunday to help him out and took the dogs to play with his dogs. The wife was outside playing with the chuck-it with their bigger dog and Cino -she just kept talking about how fast Cino was and how he could corner and leap and ...
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:11 am
by vneerland
Mind you, all the wild, wilder, wildest games, like bitework and such are NOT going to help when you want to teach your dog to chill. "Crazy" is often factory installed and it is in everyone's best interest to lead all the talent and drive in a manageable direction. Do not go running. But teach them to crate (and chilll) instead, because otherwise -been there, done that- you are just building stamina and they will harass you longer and longer and longer.
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:35 am
by roxanne
Whatever else is in Roxie must be a very mellow breed. She does have lots of energy, don't get me wrong. Just not like I'm getting from your descriptions! She runs and plays but she also takes lots of naps when she comes in. Our biggest thing right now is that she has started to defend herself around our little bully. We can not leave food or anything that could be percieved as food within reach of them. The min pin/pug thinks she weighs about 100 pounds.
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:33 pm
by goodomens
Jetson hasn't gotten to that part of the Dutch Shepherd manual about an off switch

He's an angel in his kennel so long as the cat isn't teasing him.

Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:23 am
by mariposa34
Oh boy lol! Yeah I heard the police chief say she needs to go to the navy seals because she is DYNAMITE! LOL! She will start bomb sniffing training soon. Right now I already can't hide anything from her........Now if she could only learn "Find Mommies keys or Find Mommies cellphone" that would be awesome! She is actually pretty good in her kennel unless Officer Grumpy Tail is teasing her.......In all actuality I really have no problems with her energy lol! I love it. I used to be a sit on my behind all day kind of person before I got her. Now I am training for a marathon already up to 7 miles. Walking & jogging, playing Frisbee, ball and just generally not sitting still. I've even convinced her to dance with me lol! Since I've had her my blood pressure has gone down and I feel healthier and happier. She is my BIG BRINDLE RAY OF SUNSHINE!
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:34 am
by Choochi
hehe and this is why I love my two brindlies, when it's time to Go Go Go they are nuts, but in the house they are awesome at just chilling and being lazy couch or floor dogs. They do have their crazy moments, mornings especially they're two loose cannon balls, but they know how to relax and are very pleasant to have around.
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:55 pm
by MinaHerdershonden
My Mina has been this way till now that shes hit a year old shes finally started to be less crazy 24/7 she is able to be calm in the house for the most part now, where as before I had to bike with her for miles EVERY day or she was nuts and couldn't function in a normal manner lol
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:26 pm
by felixone123
vneerland wrote:Mind you, all the wild, wilder, wildest games, like bitework and such are NOT going to help when you want to teach your dog to chill. "Crazy" is often factory installed and it is in everyone's best interest to lead all the talent and drive in a manageable direction. Do not go running. But teach them to crate (and chilll) instead, because otherwise -been there, done that- you are just building stamina and they will harass you longer and longer and longer.
could not have said it better!! so true.
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:29 pm
by MinaHerdershonden
Hahahahaha yesss /\ I would bike with Mina a few miles and then crate her for an hour and then let her out IF she would lay on the couch in a calm manner. If I didn't crate her right after she would be CRAZY and wound-up!
|
Re: Where is the dang on OFF SWITCH!!!!!!
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:14 pm
by Sugars Mom
I have to agree...my dog can be the first at the park, run, run, run, then be the last dog to leave, and she would still want to run (pull) home. But she has learnt to chill and is quite mellow at home at the ripe old age of 2.