Page 1 of 1
Too much sniffing
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:00 pm
by Sugars Mom
I have just realized that the biggest distraction to Sugar is her need/want to sniff things. It seems to be the last hurdle I have for total obedience. She is just over 2 now, and has definitely calmed down and much more able to focus…except that she wants to sniff things!! I'm not sure how to overcome it.
Example 1
We will be out walking and some scent catches her nose and she just pulls over, sniffing. When I walk her, it is a walk, not a "lets stop and sniff everything" walk. That she can do when we get to the trail or park. So while she walks well on a leash, she will still pull (as she pulls over onto the grass beside the sidewalk) when something catches her nose. Then of course she pees on it. So marking is another issue. I've been really strict with not letting her pull over to sniff lately to try to get it to stop, but no improvement yet.
Example 2
We play fetch, she is super excited to go get the ball, fast as she can to get it, then as she picks it up, oh, wait, there's an interesting smell. Drops the ball and sniffs. What? I don't hear anyone calling me? Oh, you startled me, coming up that close to me. Sorry, just sniffing something good!! Ya, lets play fetch again!!
Example 3
I let her out to pee in the morning after being in all night, and she has to sniff the yard for 5 min before peeing. Now, maybe she really doesn't have to pee that bad, but you'd think she would!
Now, I haven't read anywhere anyone else with this problem. Not sure what to do…any suggestions? Sniffing can be more valuable to her then treats...but I want her to listen better!
Re: Too much sniffing
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:01 pm
by Dutchringgirl
HAHAHA, yes, their noses need an off switch. During training I would put them on a long line and then do a recall and then recall them in and then do a recall when they are in full sniff so they learn to break the sniff and come. My girls have a fenced yard so as far as sniffing and peeing, It dosnt bother me, they usually go make a lap or two, then stop to pee then sniff. For the ball, just make wanting to come to you more important than sniffing. Again, I put them on a long line then threw the ball and recalled them and if they didnt come right back, they got a good tug. When I walk them in town they are both at the heal so they cant sniff, then Ill let them have some lead so they can do some sniffing then bring them to the heal again. If they go to sniff they get a correction. When they are loose they can sniff, pee, mark but in heal, no.
Re: Too much sniffing
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:57 pm
by Sugars Mom
Funny, the walking today was great...I guess I'm seeing the results, she only tried to sniff once then heeled the rest of the way.
Throwing the ball with long leash doesn't really work for me/her. She won't run while on the long leash. I think she clothelined herself while tied up and saw a squirrel and ran for it...so now when the long leash is on her, she will only walk...and even then its hesitantly. Smart dog!
Re: Too much sniffing
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:41 am
by Christie M
I agree that when doing obedience, there is only one answer and that is what I asked you to do.
With fetch, have you tried playing with 2 balls? When she picks up the one you threw, you can increase her sense of urgency by playing with the one in your hand. Then when she comes back, you can throw your's and pick up hers (that ideally you had her drop before chucking the second). Honestly, it comes down to drive though. If smells distract her from playing, then her passion isn't in your game. Maybe channel what she loves and try to find some nosework games for her. Or tracking

Re: Too much sniffing
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:08 am
by Dutchringgirl
What about throwing fake squirrels?
Re: Too much sniffing
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:15 am
by Sugars Mom
I do some nosework games with her, she loves it, but I'm not sure her nose really is all that great. I will show her a toy and tell her to stay, then I go into another room where she can't see me and I hide it. Then I go back to her and tell her to "find it". She runs into the other room and snif, sniff, sniff (loudly...so cute!) eagerly looking for it. Sometimes I will put it under something like a towel or blanket and she goes right by it. She can only detect through a certain amount it seems, so while she has a blast looking for it as I do watching her, I do have to question her actual smelling abilities.
I think maybe getting a squeaky ball may be what I need to do to get her attention with fetch and try the 2 ball thing. I have to say, I do see the passion when she sees the ball and wants to get it. But the passion wanes when it comes to bringing it back sometimes...when the smells seem to overcome her.

Re: Too much sniffing
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:26 am
by Dutchringgirl
I think when you teach them tracking you teach a pattern, not to just go and look for it. Im sure the tracking experts here can chime in. From what ive seen you hide something then lead the dog and teach them how to look by sniffing methodically. Its like if you closed your eyes and threw your keys in the grass. you would want to look in an orderly fashion, not all over. Thalie will do the same, if she cant find the ball Ill tell her to "search', I have never taught her proper search so she will just zig zag and sometimes go with in an inch of it and miss it. Its fun to watch them they are so intense and when she finds it she pounces on it and is so happy.
Re: Too much sniffing
Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:53 am
by leih merigian
When you take her walking on leash, try to give her a chance to do a bunch of sniffing (and most likely peeing) very early in your walk, then "that's enough, let's go!" and she can only stop to sniff when you give her a release cue (I use "free"). If you just keep booking yourself, she can't get to the sniffing, and if she's that much of a jerk on leash that she pulls you to where she wants to go, go back to (or start up with) a head halter. Also, when you can tell she's headed for a sniff, that's when you use your "leave it" cue

.
And, yes, most dogs will sniff a lot before their first pees of the day.
Oh yeah...for the toy finding stuff, you've gotta start out really small. Take a treat, put it on the floor a couple of feet in front of her, and say "find it." She gets the treat. Place it a few feet further, repeat. Keep repeating in the same room. Then, go around a corner (just barely) to place the treat and send her to find it. Yes, she actually knows where it is, but she's getting the concept of the game here

. Build from here...increasing distance, etc. Then repeat with a toy (one you can use as the reward, like tugging, or to trade for a treat when she brings it back to you). It takes quite a while before you're hiding things under rugs and such!
Re: Too much sniffing
Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:29 am
by Christie M
leih merigian wrote:When you take her walking on leash, try to give her a chance to do a bunch of sniffing (and most likely peeing) very early in your walk, then "that's enough, let's go!" and she can only stop to sniff when you give her a release cue (I use "free"). If you just keep booking yourself, she can't get to the sniffing, and if she's that much of a jerk on leash that she pulls you to where she wants to go, go back to (or start up with) a head halter. Also, when you can tell she's headed for a sniff, that's when you use your "leave it" cue

.
And, yes, most dogs will sniff a lot before their first pees of the day.
Oh yeah...for the toy finding stuff, you've gotta start out really small. Take a treat, put it on the floor a couple of feet in front of her, and say "find it." She gets the treat. Place it a few feet further, repeat. Keep repeating in the same room. Then, go around a corner (just barely) to place the treat and send her to find it. Yes, she actually knows where it is, but she's getting the concept of the game here

. Build from here...increasing distance, etc. Then repeat with a toy (one you can use as the reward, like tugging, or to trade for a treat when she brings it back to you). It takes quite a while before you're hiding things under rugs and such!
Perfect!
Re: Too much sniffing
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:30 pm
by Sugars Mom
Thanks for the replies.
Leih, I actually was doing what you suggested with allowing the sniffing at the beginning of the walk, to try to get it out of her system, but it my case that seemed to make it worse. But once I started not allowing any sniffing at all, (while it took almost a week,) she has it now. I'm happy to say that she doesn't even try to stop at all the spots she used to try now : ) It certainly shows what you allow, you train!
I've started walking with her over the field instead of just sticking to the trail or sidewalks (while she is on leash) and telling her to stay in a heel (= no sniffing). I'm hoping this will help her focus on me more then the ground in any or all situations...its worth a try.
Re: Too much sniffing
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:59 am
by leih merigian
Good work, Sue. The thing is, to keep trying things and eventually, you'll find what works for you.
I assume she also gets her share of freedom walks, too...but unfortunado, you have to keep up with the leash skills, or they deteriroate quickly.