Page 1 of 1

USMC decommissions 400 IED Dogs

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:13 pm
by Schlussdibusti
I read this on the workingdogforum
http://www.workingdogforum.com/vBulleti ... mes-25061/

"Just passing this along from one of my SAR K9 colleagues.

The United States Marine Corps has around 400 IED (Improvised Explosive Device) sniffing dogs that are being decommissioned and need forever homes. They all need forever homes. Most of the dogs are breeds such as: Labradors, Belgian Malinois, Border Collies, German Shepherds & Rottweilers.
These dogs are all incredibly well-trained. Many of them have served in war zones and are responsible for saving countless American, NATO and foreign lives.
The dogs are based in the District of Columbia (D.C.). Adoptive families must be able to travel to D.C. to pick up the dogs or arrange transport at their own expense.
Please help these war heroes get the lives they deserve.
The contact for interested adoptive families is:
Brian D. Miller PM IED Detector Dog Program
Marine Corps Systems Command
910-652-3645 Ext-321
brian.d.miller7@usmc.mil
PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG IN ANY WAY POSSIBLE. THANK YOU"


Does anybody know (NADSR) it they have DS who need homes?

Re: USMC decommissions 400 IED Dogs

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:26 pm
by LyonsFamily
I looked it up, because 400 at once seems like a lot and according to Snopes, this is a hoax.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/marinedogs.asp

Re: USMC decommissions 400 IED Dogs

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:19 am
by Schlussdibusti
I am glad it's not true. Thanks for finding this on snopes.

Re: USMC decommissions 400 IED Dogs

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:08 am
by LyonsFamily
I'm glad it's not true either. I so badly want to add another to our household, either a Mal or a DS, but we're looking at houses right now with property and fenced in yards, so I know it's better to wait until we get a bigger place. 400 dogs looking for a home might just be a little too tempting, especially recent military retirees.

Re: USMC decommissions 400 IED Dogs

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:22 am
by K9Smitty
Defiantly not true. They (USMC) have no dogs in D.C. let alone 400 and all the dogs they do have are leased through K9 companies. They don’t use Collies or Rottweilers and they don’t call them IED dogs. Before I got to the next post I was wondering where this came from. Even being 400 dogs they wouldn’t have an issue getting them homes. People are on all kids of waiting list to adopt military working dogs. I get two to three calls a week.