Smelly Dog

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
steph90
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Stephanie & Kodi

Smelly Dog

Post by steph90 »

Kodi being silly
Kodi being silly
IMG_0984.JPG (197.04 KiB) Viewed 5648 times
Hello everyone. It has been awhile since I've been on the forum, it's nice to be back. So my pup has a strange problem that I can't seem to figure out and Im thinkin' maybe someone here can help me. I have a 2 year old DS mix who smells completely terrible when he comes in from being outside. It is very strange and I have read similar complaints on google, but nobody seemed to really understand the problem and would pass it off as an infection or the dog rolling in something. So here are the details. My dog is healthy and clean. He gets baths about 2-3 times a month and has no visible problems or noticeable smells from his mouth, ears, behind, etc. He is not an especially oily dog and usually doesn't ever get too smelly in between baths. I feed him Nutro Max dog food which is one of the better brands at our pet store. I think I might try changing his food to see if that helps. When I let him outside he smells fine, but he comes in with this indescribable odor and I have no idea where its coming from! The smell is there regardless of the temperature outside. I can see him from the window and all he does is sniff around, maybe trot around to inspect his yard, do his business, and come back to be let inside... and he will just reek. The smell goes away in about ten minutes or so. Im wondering if anyone here has ever dealt with or heard of the same problem?
Steph & Kodi from South Florida
wahinelf
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently moved from CA to MA (10/12), Ellie (my 4 year old DS mix) and I are adjusting together!

Re: Smelly Dog

Post by wahinelf »

Yikes. That sounds like no fun at all.

Okay, so is this usually right after he defecates? Because if it is, he may be releasing some of the material in his anal glands while passing a stool (which is totally normal) but the smell lingers especially if some catches on his fur. Are you familiar with the smell of glands? To take care of that issue I manually express my dogs glands, but thats because she licks IN the house and its like anal gland air freshener.

The other things I can think of...skin infection, but if you say that he normally smells fine and his skin looks good I wouldn't imagine that its that.

And if he's not rolling in anything...does your yard have a particular smell? A lot of wildlife have very specific musky scents - even snakes. So if you have unusual wildlife that your pup could come in contact with.

If it smells like infection I would have a vet check it out - infection can lurk anywhere. Do a complete head to toe and check for wounds, lesions, etc.

Also, 2-3 times a month might be a bit overboard for baths. Unless he gets particularly muddy - dogs are kind of self-cleaning more often than not with a quick brushing.

This is in no way a complete list of what can smell on a dog...but I hope it helps. (I've worked as a vet tech for 3 years so I know my way around doggy smells).
-Aubrey

Eleanor CGC FM TF-II, my 5YO DSX
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Never had it.
Are you sure there is nothing in the yard that makes him smell like that? Animals, mushrooms, plants?
How about trying to let him out, not into the yard, but trough the front door (on leash if neccesary) and let him sniff and do his thing overthere, then go back inside and see if he smells? If not, it is in your yard :D

I would know reasons for a dog to smell (like too many baths, food, rolling in stuff) but not when they pass this quickly, it must be something he picks up in the yard...
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

i would def ck his glands as previously stated. When released, they can smell pretty horrible.
When Kai gets extremely nervous or excited, ya better get the gas mask :lol:

Is he rubbing/dragging his butt on the ground? If so, have your vet check them.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Just throwing thoughts out there, but if it is related to skin (maybe changes in humidity effect him until he regulates to coming back inside???), try some pure apple cider vinegar on his food. At a minimum it should help if there is any infectious component.

I do think the anal gland thing is something to look into.

And I HATE to ask this but.....is it possible that he consumes his (or other wildlife) stool while outside? That would probably linger briefly in his mouth and be noticeable.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
feraloup
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.

Post by feraloup »

Anal glands or copaphragia(sp?) Aka: "poop-eating" (sorry, gross, but not at all unheard of.) would be my possible thoughts since you've established that it's not rolling in dead stuff.
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
steph90
Puppy

Post by steph90 »

Nope he doesn't eat or roll in anything outside thankfully. I have a friend with a lab and that dog will constantly find the most disgusting things to roll in and I am so glad I don't have to deal with that. :eew: It is a very unique smell- doesn't smell like poop or garbage. From up on the second floor i can see everywhere he goes in the yard and he doesn't get into anything. Unfortunately I live in a place where there is not much wildlife. I thought about it but I rarely see more than a rat in my yard and I haven't ever seen Kodi come into contact with anything. As for the baths... I live in a place that is humid and soggy most of the year (lovely Miami) so its hard to bathe him less. It might contribute to the smell but i don't think its causing it. I could bathe him that day and he still could come in with that smell. The anal glands are something I will definitely look into. Every now and then I will notice him paying a little too much attention to his behind but its never enough that I think twice about it. Is it a very strong smell? Cause when Kodes comes inside the whole room suddenly stinks. I can't see anything wrong when I look but Ill give my vet a call and see what he thinks. One of the similar complaints I read online was a dog that was eating the same food as Kodi so his food is getting switched as soon as this bag is done. I will also try the apple cider vinegar. Hopefully I can get him to eat it. He eats like a bird.
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

steph90 wrote:One of the similar complaints I read online was a dog that was eating the same food as Kodi so his food is getting switched as soon as this bag is done. I will also try the apple cider vinegar. Hopefully I can get him to eat it. He eats like a bird.
Don't wait until the bag is gone. Get the new food, and start the switch...at first, 75% old food to 25% new, then 50/50, then 25/75, etc. Spend a few days at each level.

hope it helps with the odor :mrgreen:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Another thought I had about this was that maybe the shampoo scent reacts to his fur and gives off the bad smell when he gets moist from the humidity outside? I know when Sugar gets wet, her shampoo smell comes out....

I will also say that different foods she eats has affected how she smells, but it has nothing to do with going outside...

Hope you find something that helps!
Sue (and Sugar)

Olie
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a 32 y.o. veterinarian working in a food microbiology lab, Olaf is cca 1-1,5 y.o. DS adopted from shelter. We are from Croatia.

Post by Olie »

Smell his paws.
Dogs sweat through their paws, and he might be sweating more outside because of stress or whatever.

My dog literally gets smelly feet.
Barbara & Olaf
Croatia, Europe (that`s why my english is bad)
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

Post by Sugars Mom »

Olie wrote:Smell his paws.
Dogs sweat through their paws, and he might be sweating more outside because of stress or whatever.

My dog literally gets smelly feet.
Mine too.
Sue (and Sugar)

katm4110
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: about to adopt first dog.... 3 year old Dutch Shepherd from a rescue.... looking for tips!

Post by katm4110 »

Speaking of smelly dogs you guys have to try the Pet Head waterless shampoo spray.... We only bathe Stella once a month but I spray her with this stuff weekly and she smells so good! (It's blueberry muffin scented and I get it at petsmart) you just spray it on rub with a towel and brush.... it doesn't irritate her skin at all and keeps her coat shiny
Laura, stay at home mom to 5 human babies, and two rescue dogs Stella (DS) and Nico (brindled hound mix?)
Sugars Mom
Working Dog

Post by Sugars Mom »

Mmmmm, blueberry muffin scent!!! Sounds yummy! I have to say Sugar smells nice anyway...not like a blueberry, but a good dog smell...even when wet : )

BTW, her stinky feet went away when I switched foods.
Sue (and Sugar)

wahinelf
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently moved from CA to MA (10/12), Ellie (my 4 year old DS mix) and I are adjusting together!

Post by wahinelf »

I'm still banking on the glands. If you've never smelled them before and you don't know what the smell is it is HORRENDOUS.
-Aubrey

Eleanor CGC FM TF-II, my 5YO DSX
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

wahinelf wrote:I'm still banking on the glands. If you've never smelled them before and you don't know what the smell is it is HORRENDOUS.
:eew: :eew: :eew: so true!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
steph90
Puppy

Post by steph90 »

Thanks for all the feedback. Im really hoping changing the food is going to make a difference. It seems like something must be off for him to be producing such a strong smell so often, and I think the diet is a good place to start making changes. Im going to switch the food gradually like someone above suggested so I have a little while to make a decision on what to switch to (I just bought a bag of food before making this post)- does anyone have a brand that they have been happy with? I want him on a dry food that is healthy but not ridiculously expensive. Im also going to give him apple cider vinegar starting tomorrow. I know it helps balance the body's PH, along with other benefits. I drink it but I never would have thought to give it to Kodes! I have tried sprays in the past but the smell overpowers them. As for the anal gland thing- I think this could very likely be the cause of the smell but Im hoping the food switch will at least help a little. I had never heard of this until Kodi and I have had dogs all my life... :?
katm4110
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: about to adopt first dog.... 3 year old Dutch Shepherd from a rescue.... looking for tips!

Post by katm4110 »

We use Blue Buffalo Wilderness salmon formula... it's grain free and has been great for Stella. I get it at Petsmart. It's not horribly expensive $50 for a 24lb bag.
Laura, stay at home mom to 5 human babies, and two rescue dogs Stella (DS) and Nico (brindled hound mix?)
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

I currently feed raw, but have done a few months of kibble to add weight, and I like to keep it as a backup if we travel where cold storage isn't an option. I prefer Orijen and Acana, Acana being the cheaper of the two.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
felixone123
Working Dog

Post by felixone123 »

I feed Orijen also, but it is expensive.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Olie
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a 32 y.o. veterinarian working in a food microbiology lab, Olaf is cca 1-1,5 y.o. DS adopted from shelter. We are from Croatia.

Post by Olie »

I feed Acana chicken and b. potato in the morning and raw beef or chicken or turkey in the evening. His coat is shiny , he has normal dog smell and even his poop smell is ok, not stinky at all
Barbara & Olaf
Croatia, Europe (that`s why my english is bad)