Page 1 of 1

Hello from the Bay Area, CA

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:35 am
by TheosDad
Theo 11-10-12.jpg
Theo 11-10-12.jpg (73.45 KiB) Viewed 1690 times
Theo 11-16-12.jpg
Theo 11-16-12.jpg (480.65 KiB) Viewed 1690 times
Glad to be here with this great shared experience of DS companionship and all that goes with it. Theo was a stray at only a few months and got hit by a car, fracturing his pelvis in 3 places, CAT scan shows no cartilage in his right rear hip socket. All this being said, he doesn't let it bother him, he runs like the wind (just has trouble pivoting quickly), and has a small wannabe pimp strut.

He is now 14 months old and I rescued him when he was 6 months old. Super smart, super loyal/affectionate, can be quite the little ^$#! sometimes, but he's my copilot. I work from home so he gets extra attention and exercise so I am thankful for that.

The only challenge I have not been able to overcome is his working dog mentality that insists on pulling and walking in front of you when going for a walk. He's okay when I wear him out, but his default mode is to lead. I walk through doors ahead of him keep him at my side as much as I can when walking, used a Gentle Lead and an Easy Walk harness...both help, but don't solve. Anyone had this same challenge?

Cheers!

Greg

Re: Hello from the Bay Area, CA

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:33 pm
by LyonsFamily
Welcome to the forum! I love the name Theo. We had a dalmatian growing up with that name.

As far as the pulling issue, we worked on a heel and free command. I'd teach the heel in a separate session, and incorporate it into walks. We started out with heeling for a block, then a free where he could go and sniff around. Over time, the heels get longer, with free time only when we approach large grassy areas (I live in Chicago, there aren't many). Now, he can heel for 1-2 miles straight, but I don't leave him in it for the whole walk.

The mix of structure and freedom gives him a job and reward. The more he pulls, the longer until I give approved sniff time. He caught on pretty quickly and walks aren't annoying anymore.

Re: Hello from the Bay Area, CA

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:37 pm
by TheosDad
Hi Stephanie (and Odin of course). Yes, when I rescued Theo, that was already his name and I had a name picked out for him, but dammit he just looks like a Theo so I stuck with it (happily).

I've tried quite a bit so will give this a shot, thanks. I give him as much off leash time in large grassy areas (away from roads) as much as possible and it is splendor in the grass for sure. Thanks for the shared info. Happy Thanksgiving!

Re: Hello from the Bay Area, CA

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:22 am
by johninny
hi, HAPPY THANKSGIVING WELCOME. ...OMG, i love THEO. reminds me of my Trace-dog who died in july.
[born 1999] he had the white bib and similar coat and was smarter than any DS or mal i have met yet, so i imagine how smart your Theo might be. i also got him at 6mos old the day after police found him stray on the streets of the west village of lower manhattan. theo is lucky to have found you and i suspect he will be one of the best things to have happened in your life as tracedog was for me.
TD was great in every way, except he also pulled and was generally stubborn and impossible on leash. Stephanie's approach i like and will try with a new DS terror [ 6 days ago foster], but problem with TD was solved at 1 1/2 yo by letting him off-leash for rest of his life, whether in Times Square or the beach or the mountains. i don't recommend it for other city dogs as it has its risks and challenges, but TD was up to the task. it sounds like you and Theo already have a great time with free romp in quiet places; it is really wonderful with a smart, loving and exuberant dog. good life to you and Theo.

Re: Hello from the Bay Area, CA

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:00 am
by Christie M
Greg - so very awesome to have you join us!!
Thank you for the great intro!

If you have a moment, please visit the User Control Panel and create a signature that includes your name. It will help us remember which awesome dog owner you are!!

Re: Hello from the Bay Area, CA

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:18 am
by vneerland
Welcome Greg, and thanks for adopting a dog in need. Cudos to the rescue organization who vetted a dog with a broken pelvis. Wow! 8-)

Re: Hello from the Bay Area, CA

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:27 am
by TheosDad
Thanks for the very kind welcome, all. John, TD looks and sounds like he was one of a kind. Glad he got to live a long life of freedom off leash. That is probably all of our wishes. Love the pics.

Christie, I finally figured out how to create a signature and create an avatar (tiny file for sure). Thanks for the tip and the welcome.

Judith, yes, I rescued Theo, but he rescued me too. Now...during the early weeks of walking him every 3-4 hours in the pouring rain, I am not sure I would have echoed those sentiments at the time of course =) He is an incredibly social dog and loves other dogs and people as well, especially women (almost embarrassing how much). He does well with little dogs too, but can sometimes act like the dorky big kid who doesn't realize his own strength/size and can scare the little ones unintentionally while playing.

Cheers!