Page 1 of 2

New member here

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:32 am
by Andyroo81890
Hello my name is Andrew and I live with my 1 year old dog (son) Bentley, or Fenton when he is in trouble. I'm 22 and live in California. Not much else to say but I really like this forum

Re: New member here

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:03 pm
by felixone123
hello - is Bentley a dutch?

Re: New member here

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:26 pm
by Sugars Mom
Welcome to the forum!
Andyroo81890 wrote:or Fenton when he is in trouble.
Does that have anything to do with a you tube video where a dog runs after some deer while the owner yells "Fenton!!!!!" in vain? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtB1HQt6ak8

Re: New member here

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:14 pm
by Andyroo81890
Lol that is exactly why he is called Fenton. I wasn't sure anyone would get that

Re: New member here

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:42 pm
by Andyroo81890
heres the crazy pup

Re: New member here

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:22 am
by vneerland
Welcome Andrew and Bently. 8-)

Re: New member here

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:36 am
by leih merigian
Welcome!

Re: New member here

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:19 am
by Andyroo81890
Doerak leih does your dog look mostly black until in the sunlight and then the gold really shows? I was looking at old posts trying to figure out if bentley has any ds and i came across doerak and in a few pictures bentley looked identical. Let me know what you think

Re: New member here

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:42 pm
by vneerland
I for one cannot seem to see (enough) in the pic of Bentley. He looks like a black KNPV malinois in the picture you posted above. But I cannot seem to enlarge it, so I am not sure if there is brindle or not.

Re: New member here

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:11 pm
by Andyroo81890
There definitely is brindle but what does knpv malinois mean?

Re: New member here

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:54 am
by vneerland
KNPV stand for Koninklijke Nederlandse Poltiehond Vereniging. Known over here as Royal Dutch Police dog association. Their members train dogs with the goal of becoming police K9s. Their members also breed dogs, with the goal of workability, mostly not selecting for looks, or even per se breed.
There has been a Groenendaeler (Belgian sheepdog) in the 70's who won the KNPV nationals. After that, many bred their malinois females to this stud. (named Andor van de IJsselvloed) Since short hair is dominant over long hair, (most) all his pups came out with short hair. But also black, since black is dominant over fawn, so most of the pups were black too. Those black shorthaired dogs are referred to as Black malinois. There is also a very rare recessive black malinois possible, born out of two fawn dogs. However, the KNPV malinois is a dominant black and looks a lot like your dog.
I do not see brindle in the pictures you posted, but that, of course, does not mean he isn't. Just that it is not showing on my screen.

Re: New member here

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:52 am
by Andyroo81890
I cant find out how to make it bigger =[

Re: New member here

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:55 am
by Andyroo81890
That is a cool background though. If so, i wonder how he got to sunny california
Not too many dutch or belgians running around over here

Re: New member here

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:55 pm
by KellaA+dog6
There are several "breeders" in CA. I know of 3 in the SF bay/ and Central valley just off the top of my head. There are also direct imports for many law enforcement agencies, that may be offered out for breeding by the handler/owner. And some do occasionaly get out and some strange crosses occur.
If you have a Facebook Account, you can look at pictures of Kella ( currently on page 6 of this forums Photo section). You have to be logged on to facebook to view photos now. She has the Black and Color of a GSD, but looks Black in most lights. The color includes some areas that are sort of brindle looking, and the rest, especially the legs, are a color mixed in with lots of black. The black and color also tends to start out darker, then lightens up (drops some of the black) with age.

Re: New member here

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:58 pm
by Andyroo81890
Bentley is the same way. He looks black indoors and kind of goldish brown in the sunlight. Your dog is a cutie. I'm just glad I found Bentley at the shelter. I want to test him but I've only heard bad things about the tests not being accurate

Re: New member here

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:19 am
by LyonsFamily
Well, Dutch Shepherd won't show up on those tests anyway.

Re: New member here

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:00 am
by Andyroo81890
Then i guess if i really wanted to know then id need a blood test?

Re: New member here

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:04 pm
by vneerland
You will not know blood test or not, unless you know the background. :(
I still don't see brindle in your Bently, not even from the description. My guess is that he is a black mal, but you are, naturally very welcome here, no matter what he is!

Re: New member here

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:16 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome :)

Re: New member here

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:39 pm
by Andyroo81890
Well thank you all!