Page 1 of 1

CGC - Title vs. Certificate

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:00 am
by leih merigian
Geyser and I are taking the CGC next Monday nite. I have some concerns about one or two of the exercises, but my attitude is, if we pass, great, if not, oh well, there's always next time :lol: .

But, the AKC cracks me up, just about every time. When I signed up for the CGC test, the tester said you have the choice of taking it for a certificate or a title. The certificate is $8, the title is $20.

My first reaction was, when did the CGC become a freaking title? I mean, come on. I list it behind my dogs' names just like anyone else, but a title? I don't think so.

Well, after checking the AKC website, it seems that they've had so much demand to have the CGC as part of a dog's title record, that now that's available for a mere $20.

I have a hard time imagining that it costs them that much money to record a stupid "title." I mean, when you earn a CD, they don't charge you for listing that as part of your dog's title record, it just happens once they've received all the right paperwork from the judges. Of course, you've already paid for that CD title thru your trial fees, which doesn't happen with the CGC. I'd guess the fee you pay the tester goes to the tester :mrgreen: . Poor little AKC, gotta get their piece of this pie.

We'll just get the certificate, if we even pass, and I'll just add it to her name myself. Do I care if it shows up on her AKC title record? You're kidding, right? :roll:

Re: CGC - Title vs. Certificate

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:12 am
by felixone123
good luck next Monday nite!! My money is on Geyser passing :wtg: Keep us posted.
I hear ya on the title thing :duh:

Re: CGC - Title vs. Certificate

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:16 am
by Dutchringgirl
Good luck ! Thalie just has a certificate but it was about a year ago now that I did it.

Re: CGC - Title vs. Certificate

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:14 pm
by Choochi
Wow... so you go and do the same test, the same exercises, with the same judge, being judged the same way, and depending on how much money you fork over it's either "just" a certificate or an "official title"?

So what about all the dogs and people who have listed this "title" over the past how many years, should they now stop using that abbreviation next to their dog's name unless they pay the difference?

Re: CGC - Title vs. Certificate

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:00 pm
by LyonsFamily
The title goes on pedigrees and is an official change in the books. I guess it costs $12 for the paperwork and person to punch things into the computer. You could still use the title on the dog, but it won't show up in any official AKC document. For a breeder, it may be worth it. A lot of breeders also give a rebate for offspring that earn official titles so their future generations can see how versatile the pups are. It gets added to the registration documents, and looks more official.

I guess if it's worth enough to people, it makes sense to charge. I for one am glad that they just didn't require it to be a title and charge everyone the $20. I see it as a $12 discount for those not interested in a title. Compared to the recording fee that's part of any dog show entry, the CGC is still a very cheap title.

Re: CGC - Title vs. Certificate

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:58 am
by leih merigian
What Stephanie said... :mrgreen:

But, I still think it's a hoot to call/consider a CGC a title.

Re: CGC - Title vs. Certificate

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:00 am
by leih merigian
felixone123 wrote:good luck next Monday nite!! My money is on Geyser passing :wtg: Keep us posted.
I hear ya on the title thing :duh:
Thanks...we need all the luck we can get!

Geyser can't stand for anyone to touch her but me. So, the handling her body stuff is going to be intersting, and the little brushing they do.

Then, the approaching the other person with a dog, stopping and shaking hands, dogs supposed to ignore each other...we'll see :lol: .

Re: CGC - Title vs. Certificate

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:35 am
by felixone123
leih merigian wrote:
felixone123 wrote:good luck next Monday nite!! My money is on Geyser passing :wtg: Keep us posted.
I hear ya on the title thing :duh:
Thanks...we need all the luck we can get!

Geyser can't stand for anyone to touch her but me. So, the handling her body stuff is going to be intersting, and the little brushing they do.

Then, the approaching the other person with a dog, stopping and shaking hands, dogs supposed to ignore each other...we'll see :lol: .
what does Geyser do when someone else touches her? is it just with strangers or family members too?

Re: CGC - Title vs. Certificate

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:31 am
by LyonsFamily
leih merigian wrote: Geyser can't stand for anyone to touch her but me. So, the handling her body stuff is going to be intersting, and the little brushing they do.
Oh that's our problem too. Odin's so close to being ready for his test, but there are a few people he's not fond of. He's come so far, but the stranger section worries me.

Re: CGC - Title vs. Certificate

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:05 pm
by Schlussdibusti
Marco and I keep our paws and finger crossed for you and Geyser!

Re: CGC - Title vs. Certificate

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:44 pm
by alspyce
Good luck to you guys, chew some gum if you're nervous!

Re: CGC - Title vs. Certificate

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:03 am
by leih merigian
felixone123 wrote: what does Geyser do when someone else touches her? is it just with strangers or family members too?
She does whatever she can to avoid it. She'll squiggle away, etc.

In the world, I don't require her to be touched or handled by anyone she doesn't approach herself and ask for petting from. That turns out to be no one, unless she's been around someone for a while and they've ignored her :mrgreen: .

I've found if someone is sitting or squatting down, she'll go right up and start kissing them :lol:

At the vet, I just hold her collar gently, or otherwise cradle her, so the vet can do what she needs to do. Geyser just shakes at those times :( .

As far as the CGC test...we didn't pass or fail. I showed up at the appointed time (actually early enough for G to get her fill of sniffing and peeing all over, etc.), and was the first scheduled to be tested.

But, there were no lights on in the training center. Hmm...

The second person to be scheduled showed up...still no one home.

Turns out the trainer had moved her facility and hadn't bothered to let me know. Can you say STEAMED? I am so done with her. I haven't even received an apology email or anything. :evil:

Oh well...I figure it may just be the Universe saving me the $15 we would have lost if we'd failed :lol:

Re: CGC - Title vs. Certificate

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:44 am
by feraloup
Wow! But seriously? Poor form! I say! What an utter crock! How dare this person waste your time and the time of others with such a grossly unprofessional and inconsiderate move? The basic courtesy of communication and a heads-up to their clients, or at the very least, after the fact, an appropriate apology for the snafu should not be too much to ask.

Wow. Sorry to hear that.

But I totally commend your outlook and reponse to the frustration. :)

As I'm continually telling my 5 year old, (and occasionally trying to remind myself, particularly in dealing with said 5 year old! :lol:) "You can't control what other people are going to do or say. What you CAN control is how you react to it."

I'm sorry to hear about the frustration, but love that you're trying to be upbeat in the face of it. :)

Re: CGC - Title vs. Certificate

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:10 pm
by felixone123
so sorry to hear this. Is there somewhere else you can go for the test?

Re: CGC - Title vs. Certificate

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:58 am
by leih merigian
There are always options for the CGC. This just happened to be the most convenient, and also, we've taken several classes at her place, so Geyser knows her, the facility, etc. That would make the touching parts more likely to work for little monkey Geyser :mrgreen: .

After thinking about it a lot, I think I'll just take one of those CGC prep classes with her. She needs lots more experience working around other dogs who are under control (or some version of it :mrgreen: ) anyway. The problem is that Charlottesvills sucks when it comes to training places. I'll either have to drive to Richmond, Staunton or someplace like that<sigh>.

Oh well...(deep subject :lol: )

Re: CGC - Title vs. Certificate

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:27 pm
by vneerland
leih merigian wrote:What Stephanie said... :mrgreen:
But, I still think it's a hoot to call/consider a CGC a title.

What Leih said. :mrgreen:
But I still think that for many, if the dog does anything at all, learned anything at all, is able to walk on a leah at all, that is a selling point (for the pups) :o :oops: :shock:

Re: CGC - Title vs. Certificate

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:00 pm
by Christie M
I remember my first CGC. It was at the first Dutch Shepherd event held in FL. I was SO GREEN to the dog world, and so nervous. I handled stupidly, and Dianne even stopped me twice saying "I just can't pass you if you don't stop...." We struggled through it and Dante and I passed our first Therapy Dog Cert there too. Many, many things happened that weekend, that changed by life forever - but passing was one of the most significant....along with the dozen roses that I received (not from my then non-dog-loving fiance) saying "Congratulations on your first title."

I don't mind thinking of it as a title, because it rewards people for working towards a goal and gives them something to be proud of. That being said, those people who have a clue will always know what it is. I honestly don't think a Novice agility title is hard to obtain at all.

Sorry about your experience with your trainer. I do many air-headed things, but I don't think I would schedule a major testing event and then forget to mention that I moved. I'm pretty sure if I did, I would be mortified.

Re: CGC - Title vs. Certificate

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:15 am
by roxanne
My German Shepherd had a CGC. I quickly found out that my county does not even know what it is! My GSD girl was like Geyser at the vet. ( the shaking) The vet commended me on spending so much time with her, because even though she was obviously terrified, she never, ever offered to bite anyone. She always took extra time and did her exams on the floor to make it less stressful. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't stress out about it too much! She never was a great leash walked either....she didn't "heal" but she didn't pull on the leash.

Re: CGC - Title vs. Certificate

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:21 am
by CAHerder
There are always the upper level obedience/competition folks that think certain events are "too easy" to be "worthy" of a title...but reality is that it is all relative. My ACD was so dog reactive that at one point, there was NO way I could take her to a building filled with dogs at a trial and expect her to do anything but lunge and bark and be frantic. It took many years of going to classes and training to get her to the point where that situation was exciting, because she knew it was time to work. So, for us to get her CGC was a big start to it all! Same with Rally.... rally is, in essence, pretty easy for us. But it gave us a place to start and work on the behavioral challenges that come with a trial situation that have nothing to do with the specifics of the exercises. Getting the chance to practice, gain confidence, and keep interested lead us into trialing at higher levels of obedience. Its a gateway...anything that gets people into spending quality time with their dogs is A-OK with me :D