Page 1 of 1
first time dutch owner
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:14 am
by Manstrom
Howdy y'all,
My name is Mykal and I've been a dog owner my whole life but Harvey, 8 months, is my first Dutch Shepherd. Before I joined the military my family bred and trained Rhodesian ridgebacks. Now I'm working on transferring to K9 within the air force (handling Belgian malinois).
I joined mainly because even though I've researched the breed you can't beat asking fellow owners when you have a question.
Harvey's background is an interesting one. He was a rescue dog who found his way to a couple on base who didn't take care of the poor guy and they ditched him offbase. He was later found downtown extremely underweight and had an infection in his eye. Since he was chipped by the original couple who rescued him they got him back and nursed him back to health. Unfortunately, his right eye will remain milky but he still seems to see rather well from it still things considered.
Despite his rough early puppyhood he's a very loving well disciplined dog with great potential.
Re: first time dutch owner
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:56 am
by feraloup
Hello and welcome to the forum!
I'm kind of new, here, and to Dutch Shepherds, myself, but I'm enjoying it immensley and learning a lot.
I love the picture, especially the laid-back grin he's got going on.
I think you'll find he'll function very well, even if he eventually loses all sight in that one eye.
I had a rottie/pit mix (the middle dog in my avatar photo) who had Progressive Retinal Atrophy and began losing his eyesight at a young age. He adapted so well, though, that many people had no clue he was blind unless I told them!

Since your handsome boy still has an unscathed eye and you mentioned the foggy one still seems to see as well, he'll probably do even better. I'm glad he landed a good home with a caring person after his rough start!
I look forward to hearing more about him. (And seeing more pictures!)
Re: first time dutch owner
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:55 pm
by felixone123
hello and welcome. Love Harvey's smile!! Glad he has a better home now!!
Re: first time dutch owner
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:51 pm
by Schlussdibusti
Welcome to the forum and thanks for rescueing Harvey!

Re: first time dutch owner
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:25 am
by LyonsFamily
Welcome to the forum! I have a female English Setter, living with my parents now, with no/almost no vision in one of her eyes due to an accident when she was younger. The eye popped out of socket and she hurt the optic nerve before it could get put back in by the get. She doesn't see to notice and functions just fine.
Re: first time dutch owner
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:35 am
by Christie M
Welcome to the forum. What a lucky dog!! They do seem to be so prevalent around bases, but I am sure that is because so many soldiers see them working.....only to later find out that they aren't always a pleasure to live with. If you could, please visit the User Control Panel and create a signature with your name so we can remember you in future posts!
Re: first time dutch owner
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:12 am
by leih merigian
Welcome, Mykal and Harvey! Lucky dog!
Well, I guess reading this post answered my question in your ears post

. Glad he doesn't have any nerve damage or whatever related to his ear (assuming, that is).
Re: first time dutch owner
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:39 am
by Manstrom
He's been a sweet heart so far. Had an accident or two in the house but I'll stock that up to new house jitters since he's had no problems today. What gets me is how receptive to training he has been. The couple that had him told me that he loved to dash out of doors and now he'll sit and wait to he can move. I think he's realized he's met a human as stubborn as he is bahaha
Re: first time dutch owner
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:50 pm
by Schlussdibusti
Manstrom wrote: I think he's realized he's met a human as stubborn as he is bahaha

Re: first time dutch owner
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:04 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome

Re: first time dutch owner
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:10 pm
by alexis
Welcome! Harvey looks like such a happy dog!