Page 1 of 1

Delta Dog Forgetters

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:12 am
by Xena_N_Me
Has anybody here used DeltaCargo to fly their dogs? I purchased Xena from a breeder in Kansas. We had to fly her via Deltacargo, She had a layover in NY for 3 hours. She was to arrive in Richmond at 10:18pm 01/04/2013. I drove to Richmond to pick her up and was informed that she was not on the plane. It was over an hour before anybody could confirm where she was and once it was confirmed that she was in fact still at the NY airport, they still could not explain why, other than that she may have been forgotten about. Had to cancel my plans and return to pick up the following day. thankfully, she arrived alive and well, other than smelling rotten. I was told to submit a service failure claim (which I did) but their directions are very vague and time sensitive, I went through the full chain of numbers, email, etc, just to be told it is not their department. No matter how many times I call the claims department it goes to voicemail. My calls have not been returned. Not too big of a deal, but when paying for a service and with such precious cargo, I expect better. Just curious of anyone's experience with delta, handling a matter such as this or preferred alternative airline for future reference.
Thanks
Xena_N_Me

Re: Delta Dog Forgetters

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:56 am
by wahinelf
Wow, this sounds terrible!

I flew a dog once many years ago, but I was on the plane with her while she was in cargo. It was overseas and I can't remember which airline we flew with. It probably wouldn't be helpful stateside anyway because it was from Japan to Hawaii. Most nerve wracking day of my life knowing my dog was in cargo.

Re: Delta Dog Forgetters

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:35 am
by feraloup
Ugh! What an awful, gut-wrenching experience! That must have been such a belly-drop... *shudders* Not to mention your time and travel hassles in addition to the emotional distress. So glad it turned out okay in terms of getting your dog in good health despite the hangup.

The lack of care and assistance on their end when trying to submit feedback after the fact is also frustrating!

I had my pup flown to me from Oklahoma to Vermont about a month and a half ago, and thankfully, there were no glitches! We used United airlines.

I know there was a recent thread in the Puppies section of the forum about flying animals, and from the feedback there, thankfully, it seems like the bad experiences you had are the exception rather than a norm. Still, even knowing that occasional mishaps have to occur sometime, it's no comfort that it had to be YOU that got to be that statistical x-percent error. :(

Very glad to know that it turned out okay in the end.

Re: Delta Dog Forgetters

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:52 pm
by vneerland
Never had problems, but I would be quite livid if they had forgotten my pup, somewhere. Don't rest until you have kicked some @ss about it. So it does not happen again. (to you or anyone else, who possibly flies in summer and gets a dog killed on a tarmac when it is forgotten) :eek:

Re: Delta Dog Forgetters

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:29 am
by johninny
just as a caution, statistics from some time ago, i.e., now old , used to indicate that 20-25% of dogs die in cargo, but today hopefully dogs are not in regular cargo - which is a very bad place to be if you are a dog. and as further caution -- the death rate rises in regular cargo when dogs are tranquilized in an effort to help spare them the trauma - a result of making it even more difficult for them to breathe in the cold and low-oxygen environment.

Re: Delta Dog Forgetters

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:04 am
by LyonsFamily
johninny wrote:just as a caution, statistics from some time ago, i.e., now old , used to indicate that 20-25% of dogs die in cargo, but today hopefully dogs are not in regular cargo - which is a very bad place to be if you are a dog. and as further caution -- the death rate rises in regular cargo when dogs are tranquilized in an effort to help spare them the trauma - a result of making it even more difficult for them to breathe in the cold and low-oxygen environment.
Do they even allow tranquilized dogs to travel on a plane anymore? I thought it was no medications, even anti anxiety, but I might be wrong.

Sorry to hear about the delay with your puppy. I thought it was bad when Southwest Airlines lost my bag of shoes on my honeymoon and we had to wait for it to show up, I could only imagine a whole puppy!

Re: Delta Dog Forgetters

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:24 pm
by Schlussdibusti
So sorry to hear about the experience. Delta seems to be the worst according to statistics:
http://transportationnation.org/2012/03 ... d-in-2011/

Re: Delta Dog Forgetters

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:45 pm
by alspyce
If there is a next time, ask about "Counter to Counter" shipping for your dog. They come in with regular baggage and not through the cargo terminal.

Delta "lost" a 12 wk. old Yorkie pup on me years ago, and I danced on the counter until they made arrangements to put her through immediately to my airport -- once I explained the "price per pound" (about a 1& 1/2 lb. pup), of a show quality female pup, and the fact that I would NOT allow my pup to be put in a Vet or Boarding Kennel overnight/that she was fully insured and that I definitely would be collecting if anything happened to her. They had to stay open until she finally arrived at 1:00 AM. (Being a true country girl, I just may have insinuated a few threats----can't get away with that now tho.)

Re: Delta Dog Forgetters

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:45 pm
by Choochi
johninny wrote:just as a caution, statistics from some time ago, i.e., now old , used to indicate that 20-25% of dogs die in cargo, but today hopefully dogs are not in regular cargo - which is a very bad place to be if you are a dog. and as further caution -- the death rate rises in regular cargo when dogs are tranquilized in an effort to help spare them the trauma - a result of making it even more difficult for them to breathe in the cold and low-oxygen environment.

I believe most of those stats came from short faced dogs which is why most of them are now banned from flying. As far as I know none of the airlines allow tranquilizers to be used.

I can't even imagine how upset I would have been if that was me showing up to pick up my pup and being told "sorry we lost her". Glad it worked out in the end but yes some one needs to be smacked figuratively for this.

I was just going through making arrangements to ship one of my pups to his new home and I have been hearing all sorts of horror stories from my breeder friends about shipping. Most of them were of the pain in the ass variety and no dogs had to suffer but it is amazing how unreliable the airlines can be at times. I haven't been able to find a direct flight for the pup so the new owner has volunteered to fly up here and take the pup back in cabin which I am very happy about.

Other then that, I personally only have experience with shipping one dog, when I bought my Mal he was flown to me but as an adult, the seller made all the arrangements and every thing went like clockwork. He flew with Continental from Pheonix to Cleveland, the staff at the cargo facility where I picked him up were very nice and accommodating.

Re: Delta Dog Forgetters

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:40 pm
by Xena_N_Me
I went through a couple emails, a fax, a claim, and the whole pyramid of phone calls. Apparently this matter was nobody's department. At the top of the pyramid....A voice message created by a very unenthusiastic sounding individual. No returned calls or emails after 48 hours of effort for a reciprocation in communication in the matter. Grilled someone hard enough in customer service. Finally a number was issued for my claim. I got a letter from them yesterday. It is there policy in a situation like mine that they refund 20% of the fare. Better than nothing. I don't think I will use them again if I can avoid it. I have my pup, So I am happy. She has a lot of food drive. She thinks dog food is like candy.

Re: Delta Dog Forgetters

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:41 am
by Marjolein
What a horrible story :shock: :?
And 20% back...I dunnow :roll: Yes, better than nothing, and with all this bad stuff about them on the net, maybe people just will not use their service anymore?

Re: Delta Dog Forgetters

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:24 pm
by vneerland
Xena's parent. I know you must have overlooked Christie's request in your introduction topic, but if you have a chance, can you please create a little signature for us (via control panel, top left of page) with your name?
Thanks!

Re: Delta Dog Forgetters

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:34 am
by Xena_N_Me
I saw the message, was slow to get to it. My apologies.

Re: Delta Dog Forgetters

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:41 pm
by vneerland
Xena_N_Me wrote:I saw the message, was slow to get to it. My apologies.
It's all good. ;)