Page 1 of 2
Dutch Shepherd Mix?
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:44 pm
by Momof3Pups
Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:05 pm
by Dutchringgirl
awwwwwww what a super cutie !!!!!! I dont know about Mastiff, they are HUGE and he looks pretty normal sized.
Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:45 pm
by Sugars Mom
Awww, he IS a cutie! He looks like he has huge paws...but I am in no position to guess on breed...could be DS mix

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:54 am
by Momof3Pups
Thanks

He does have some big paws, he seems like he has a few things in him, just trying to narrow down what they might be. He has some from 16-29 lbs in 3 weeks, so he is growing like crazy!! He definitely could be over 100 lbs as an adult. My 90 lb 11 month old Ridgeback was only 21 lbs at 14 weeks when we got him, so this guy is bigger than he was.
Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:45 am
by Dutchringgirl
wow, It will be fun to watch him grow up and see how he developes. maybe then we can tell. I love the little white on his nose too.
Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:31 am
by LyonsFamily
29lbs at 13 weeks would have me learning more towards mastiff than DS. You never know what could be mixed in though, but he does look like a cutie.
Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:16 am
by Amboaman
I just adopted too and I think mine is a Dutch. Does he love to snuggle? Mine is such a lover, already recognizing me as the pack leader after a week. I hope you are as lucky as I am
Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:33 pm
by Momof3Pups
He is definitely a lover, but he can get into it with my other two dogs and he does not back down! Of course he will come run and hide behind me
I had honestly never even heard of a DS, but I googled pics of brindle shepherd mix and came up with this breed so thought I would look into them and he looked quite a bit like a lot of the puppies I saw in pics. Of course it could just be a coincidence that whatever he's mixed with made him look like this breed.
Here is my pack, pic is 2 weeks old, but the current ages are Tsavo 11 months, Bubba 6 months (rescue Cane Corso) and Forrest (3 months):

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:57 pm
by Amboaman
That is a beautiful family!!! I am jealous that you got them all to do such a good picture. My pup is four months now and is the same way with other dogs. He used to live with an adult pit bull and would get into it with that dog and now I can't walk him without him trying to pick a fight with some of the neighborhood dogs.
We have a training school in the area that is run by former police trainers and since the DS is used as a police dog as well I figured that is a good place to go and get him socialized with other dogs. If I pick up any tips our tricks I will let you know.
I figured mine was a DS the same way as you did and this was my first time hearing about it too. But from everything I am hearing he sounds like the perfect dog for my family.
Here is a pic of my little guy.
Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:58 pm
by Amboaman
Also congrats on handling that many pups at the same time. You are a trooper!!
Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:26 pm
by Momof3Pups
Thanks, it is definitely a bit nutty in this house at times, since I also have 3 kids, but we manage to make it work
Your dog is adorable, he looks very similar to forrest except he has a longer snout which seems in line with the DS. I love the white on his chest.
I would love to hear your experience and any tips you get as they are so close in age. How big is your pup? It's so hard to tell in pics
Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:04 am
by Amboaman
We have our puppy and a baby and are still working getting less crazy. I think he is about 30-40 lbs but haven't gotten an official number. We were at the vet today to get him fixed, but since the rescue was paying it seemed like the vet wanted us in and out as soon as possible and didn't talk much.
Yeah, I think we can definitely share experiences with them being so close in age. I am looking forward to trying to figure him out. One thing that I do have on my side though is there is a local obedience school that was founded by police trainers, and I have heard the DS is pretty extensively used as a police dog. Hopefully he takes to it, I will let you know my thoughts once we get there
Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:34 pm
by alspyce
Bubba and Forrest look very much alike in this photo, except for size, and ages almost right to have been pups from the same bitch, if ages are approximate. Do you know if they both came from the same area?
Anyone else think they look alike?
Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:13 pm
by Lumbeediva
Hi there! Just wanted to share that we adopted a pup that looks very similar to yours! She was born around oct 2nd. She weighs right at 40lbs and she is about 19-20" at her shoulders. She is a dark brindle just like yours with the same face and ears and also has huge paws!! She gains .5 pound per day!! She was in a NC shelter!!
Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:19 pm
by Dutchringgirl
alspyce wrote:Bubba and Forrest look very much alike in this photo, except for size, and ages almost right to have been pups from the same bitch, if ages are approximate. Do you know if they both came from the same area?
Anyone else think they look alike?
Yeah, they look alot alike !
Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:21 pm
by Momof3Pups
Forrest came from a kill shelter in Kansas I believe (he was transported up to the Chicago area by a rescue) and Bubba was rescued from a flea market in central IL. A woman from a different rescue was there and she got the feeling they were selling him as a fight dog and scooped him up so he wouldn't have that kind of life. They are definitely different ages as Bubba has all his adult teeth and Forrest still hasn't lost any puppy teeth. But people all the time ask if they are brothers
Lumbeediva, his DOB is approximated at Oct 18th, and I am not 100% certain where he originally came from. That is a crazy coincidence that they look alike and are about the same size, you'll have to share a pic of your pup!
Erica
Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:14 am
by Momof3Pups
One ear up

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:59 am
by leih merigian
Welcome, mom of three pups...
Forest is a doll, whatever he is!
Please don't take this wrong, but what posessed you to take on three puppies with three children at home? Do you LOVE to train or something?

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:05 am
by Momof3Pups
We had one dog, and decided we wanted to rescue another. Applied to different rescues and took our dog to meet the other pups. Forrest was approved first, then we got the call on Bubba and just couldn't say no

. The 3rd is so laid back and sweet and very "unpuppylike", he just has such a chill personality and is so happy to he loved!!
My kids are 11, 9 and 7 and help with letting dogs out, cleaning up the yard, etc. I am lucky to live in a good sized home 4000 sq feet, plus a basement so we just felt we had the love, patience and financial means to rescue a 3rd, it must be meant to be that they both came through.
Erica
Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?
Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:21 am
by leih merigian
It's good that your kids are old enough (and apprarently responsible enough

) to help out.
Three lucky pups there...