Page 1 of 1

Ticks

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:20 pm
by funkyhunky
Anyone else notice that it's a really bad year for ticks?
We'd come across the odd tick here and there in passed years but the wife and I have each had two on us in the lest couple of days. It's not like we're rolling around in the grass or anything.....
I can't imagine riffling through the dogs coat trying to find the suckers.
dan

Re: Ticks

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:46 pm
by LyonsFamily
I found 2 on Odin last week and we hadn't left downtown Chicago. I thought that was weird. He hadn't been to training or work with me in a while. So far so good here in the country though.

Re: Ticks

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:39 am
by Dutchringgirl
I find all years are bad for ticks. I have a cedar spray for the dogs and it seems to be working great. I have only found two on Thalie. I also spread Diatemacouse(sp) earth around.

Re: Ticks

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:40 am
by Revhendo
Dutchringgirl wrote:I find all years are bad for ticks. I have a cedar spray for the dogs and it seems to be working great. I have only found two on Thalie. I also spread Diatemacouse(sp) earth around.
What is the deal with the cedar spray? (Don't worry, I am not even gonna ask about the Diet Mouse earth.)

Re: Ticks

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:30 pm
by Sugars Mom
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Diet mouse earth :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Ticks

Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:47 pm
by Tappy4me
Ticks were so bad in our yard this year that we had to put poison down to kill them. (Talk about a chunk of change...it's like 250$ for enough to treat a 1 acre lot) I need to get some Diatomaceous Earth (https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... CHMQ8wIwAg Excellent non-toxic insect killer, fyi) to put down now. It's alot cheaper (and safer on the critters) than the poison we used. We were desperate to get rid of the fleas/ticks/grubs/beetles/other insects that had taken over the yard, so had to go the poison route.

Re: Ticks

Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:02 pm
by Dutchringgirl
Diet Mouse earth LOLOL

Make sure its food grade. It has done wonders in my garden.

The cedar oil is working great to keep the ticks away too. Cedar oil, Tee Trea oil, they are both good for bugs. Do some google searches and you will find some good information about it.

Re: Ticks

Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:59 pm
by Schlussdibusti
You might want to check out this website. http://www.biconet.com/biocontrol/nemas.html They sell the predators for every pest. When they are done, they move on to the next yard or die.

I recommended the Nematodes to a fellow dog friend who complaint about fleas and ticks in his yard despite commercial pest control. He said within 2 days they were gone, the biggest pest to get rid off was the pest control guy since he was no longer needed. :lol:

Re: Ticks

Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:09 pm
by LyonsFamily
I love those nematoads. They have them all over here in Michigan and they eat dog poop at my parents house. It's crazy watching the poop vanish. A dog goes and not 10 minutes later a huge swarm comes up and destroys the poop. You wouldn't know there are 5 dogs living here right now.

Re: Ticks

Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:16 pm
by Dutchringgirl
I do need to get nematoads because i have grubs. Good to know they will eat ticks!

Re: Ticks

Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:28 pm
by Sugars Mom
I just googled nematoad...said its a roundworm. Aren't roundworms bad?

Re: Ticks

Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:48 pm
by Schlussdibusti
Sugars Mom wrote:I just googled nematoad...said its a roundworm. Aren't roundworms bad?
Good point!

According to Cornell University, nematodes are safe for humans and pets http://www.biocontrol.entomology.cornel ... todes.html(beginning of 2nd paragraph)

Re: Ticks

Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:56 pm
by bannerd
I had a few on me and ended up going to the clinic. I use K9-Advantix on the dogs and that seems to do the job really well.