Page 1 of 2

New to the forum and to Dutch Shepherds

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:59 am
by Jeremy13Bravo
Just got my first DS 2 days ago, took him in as the previous owner was about to deploy. This dog(his name is Jackson as of now, but since that was my wifes dogs name that she recently had to put down we are trying to come up with a new name for him) is supposedly 4 months old, but the previous owner said he was born in Dec which would put him closer to 6 months. He was in military training but did not show enough level of aggression to continue. Any time I googled anything about this breed, the forum kept popping up so I decided to join. Looking forward to picking all your brains about this breed, and eventually being able to advise others on the DS.

Image

Re: New to the forum and to Dutch Shepherds

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:14 pm
by centrop67
Welcome!

Look at those ears. :shock:

Re: New to the forum and to Dutch Shepherds

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:05 pm
by Dutchringgirl
ha, my first comment too. Look at his ears !! He is going to be a big boy, his legs are long too.

we need to have an ear contest to see who has the biggest ears !

Re: New to the forum and to Dutch Shepherds

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:47 pm
by Sugars Mom
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new pup :party2:

Yes, an ear contest would be great!

Re: New to the forum and to Dutch Shepherds

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:10 pm
by Jeremy13Bravo
Thanks everyone, I have taped his ears like I saw on youtube to try and get them both standing up. When I got him he seemed really skinny, I have him on Nutro Lamb and Rice dry mixed with some Nutro Lamb and Rice wet food now and I hope that will bulk him up some. We are still trying to pick a name, Jackson just wont work cause it reminds my wife of her old dog. I kinda want to go with a Viking name, but I have to make a decission soon. Any suggestions? I know Odin and Loki are Viking Gods names, but they seem to be used a lot.

Re: New to the forum and to Dutch Shepherds

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:58 pm
by centrop67
My Radar has some impressive ears as well (thus, the name), but it looks like he would lose to Jackson (aka ???) in an overall length contest.

Name suggestion: Ragnar from the new History channel series Vikings. Floki (another character) would be neat as well.

Re: New to the forum and to Dutch Shepherds

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:15 pm
by feraloup
Congrats on your new pup! Ohhhh my gawwwwd I LOVE the ears...

Re: New to the forum and to Dutch Shepherds

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:21 pm
by KellaA+dog6
Congrats on new dog! As for names - if you want one that has a similar sound to Jackson, Texan might work. It also seems appropriate for his Texas sized ears.
My mom had a Doberman Shepherd cross who's ears would go straight out to the sides, making her look ready for take off. ( a good 15 inches at least across from tip to tip)

Re: New to the forum and to Dutch Shepherds

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:16 pm
by Jeremy13Bravo
I like Ragnar and Floki (both the names and the characters in the show), I might use one of those. I have seen some pictures of Radar while checking the forum out, he is a cool looking dog. I didnt realize that my dogs ears were bigger than normal.

Re: New to the forum and to Dutch Shepherds

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:30 pm
by centrop67
Jeremy13Bravo wrote:I didn't realize that my dogs ears were bigger than normal.
It could just be the angle of the photo, but don't worry. He'll grow into them in no time.

Someone else may be able to tell us if there's a conformation violation with the size or shape of the ears, though.

Re: New to the forum and to Dutch Shepherds

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:18 pm
by Jeremy13Bravo
Lol, here is another shot. I'm not sure it was the angle, I think it's his ears.

Image

Re: New to the forum and to Dutch Shepherds

Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:43 am
by johninny
welcome!
I think an ear contest would be fun but we could just as well declare Jackson the winner in advance.
personally, I think the floppy ear adds great distinction and character. it will probably stand up more but it is really great. one floppy ear tends to be very informative if you get to know its habits.

Re: New to the forum and to Dutch Shepherds

Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:53 am
by Revhendo
With those ears, you could call him a gunbunny. :D
Good looking dude.

Re: New to the forum and to Dutch Shepherds

Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:38 am
by Dutchringgirl
Jeremy13Bravo wrote:Lol, here is another shot. I'm not sure it was the angle, I think it's his ears.
nope, not the angle, its the ears LOL

I bet he will be tall, Sadie has big ears ( not that big though) and very long legs as a pup and she is very tall. Her ears are still big though. Keep him tied down on windy days.

Re: New to the forum and to Dutch Shepherds

Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:28 am
by Jeremy13Bravo
We are thinking about the name Rollo. Not after the character on the Viking show but if you Google and read about the real Rollo he was a pretty powerful Viking who invaded Normandy as did my division in WWII. Also, his coloring looks like he's been dipped in chocolate and caramel, like a Rollo candy. What do you guys think?

Re: New to the forum and to Dutch Shepherds

Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:27 am
by Revhendo
Jeremy13Bravo wrote:We are thinking about the name Rollo. Not after the character on the Viking show but if you Google and read about the real Rollo he was a pretty powerful Viking who invaded Normandy as did my division in WWII. Also, his coloring looks like he's been dipped in chocolate and caramel, like a Rollo candy. What do you guys think?
I think it rocks. Nice tie in, too.

Re: New to the forum and to Dutch Shepherds

Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:30 pm
by Jeremy13Bravo
Revhendo wrote:
I think it rocks. Nice tie in, too.
Thanks, we are trying it on for "size" now but I'm sure thats what we are going to stick with. He learned to get into his crate on command in about ten minutes this morning. Seems like he will be a pretty smart dog.

Re: New to the forum and to Dutch Shepherds

Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:23 am
by johninny
Lisa, I very seldom LOL, but you managed to accomplish the impossible with your ''keep him tied down on windy days.''
Jeremy, yes, go with what has meaning for you - as long as it also works in practice. perfect.

Re: New to the forum and to Dutch Shepherds

Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:33 pm
by Jeremy13Bravo
Yeah its pretty windy today, I thought he caught air a couple of times while we were playing ball LOL. Rollo managed to escape his crate (no idea how he did that) last night and got one of his ear tapings off now they are both standing pretty good after only having it on a few days. The person we got him from said their ears often flop when they are teething. Anyone else heard this? The terrier we had for 16 years had one ear that flopped and one that stood up, I thought it gave him character.

Image

Ball playing session in progress. He "sits" so good.

Re: New to the forum and to Dutch Shepherds

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:24 am
by LyonsFamily
Jeremy13Bravo wrote:Yeah its pretty windy today, I thought he caught air a couple of times while we were playing ball LOL. Rollo managed to escape his crate (no idea how he did that) last night and got one of his ear tapings off now they are both standing pretty good after only having it on a few days. The person we got him from said their ears often flop when they are teething. Anyone else heard this? The terrier we had for 16 years had one ear that flopped and one that stood up, I thought it gave him character.

Image

Ball playing session in progress. He "sits" so good.
Yep, they flop, they point together, they point different directions. Usually if they're up and standing before teething you're good to go after.